General Poetry posted December 9, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A tribute to my late daughter

Daughter of my Heart

by nomi338

Daughter of my heart I adored you, trials of raising a strong-willed child
You taught me how to get through.
Sometimes you pushed me to the edge of my patience, I often wondered if I would ever get it right
From you I learned that being a parent brought joys that could not be rivaled by anything else
You and I had a routine where you would push the buttons and I would respond with the anticipated and orchestrated moves.
You would smile triumphantly, confident that you could count on me knowing my role in this family comedy/drama.
There were times when you made me angry, but there were also times when you made me smile with pure joy.
Through it all my love for you never wavered. It was never less than any child should expect from a father. Rest assured, that love will never die.
Do I miss you? Does a man miss a limb that has been severed when he tries to take a step? Does a singer miss his voice when he can no longer sing?
I miss you in ways I cannot even fully describe. Sometimes I hide it so that I do not cause your mom anymore sadness than she can bear.
You have always had my love, I never held back any part
Even though you are not the daughter of my blood
You are and will always be, the daughter of my heart.





Poem of the Month contest entry

Recognized

#86
2019


In 2006 my daughter passed away from congestive heart failure. This condition was caused by years of substance abuse. She battled with her addiction and managed to kick her addiction for a time, but always suffered setbacks and began using again. The last time proved to be truly the last time.
She and her mother entered my life when she was already four years old and at first she resented me, as most step children do. However, over the years we came to truly love each other very much. Her death nearly destroyed me. This poem is a true assessment of our strange but loving relationship.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. nomi338 All rights reserved.
nomi338 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.