Romance Fiction posted November 24, 2019 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 42... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie and Logan argue, again.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 17 part 3

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Tuesday evening. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 7 days. LOL


I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A VERY WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING FILLED WITH LOVE AND FAMILY!!!!!!

Ending of Previous Post:


Bill answered his ringing phone. After he listened for a while, he hung up and said, "They just found Donny Carlton's body."

"Where?" asked McKenzie.

"In a drainage ditch in Wright City."

Logan rubbed his chin. "That's a ways out of the city. They didn't want it to be found."

"They sure didn't, and it appears he's been there about a week. We'll know more after the autopsy."

McKenzie plopped down in a chair. "If they ever get around to doing it. We're still waiting for Megan's results."


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 17 PART 3

On the way to McKenzie's home, she asked, "Have you thought anything about our forced living arrangements?"

"I figured I'd take the couch like I did last night." As he stopped at a red light, he faced her. "If you're completely against it, I'll go to a hotel."

"The light's green." She chewed on her lower lip. "I can't imagine your parents being happy about you living with a single female?"

Logan chuckled. "I'm thirty-four years old. I think their days of commenting about my lifestyle are over."

"I guess you're right."

He parked in her parking slot. "I can tell you're concerned about something. Talk to me. We're roommates. What's bothering you?"

She stared out the window, avoiding his eyes. "I've never shacked up with a man before."

Logan laughed out loud.

McKenzie opened the car door, slammed it, and ran into the house.
Obviously laughing was not the right thing to do. Now, what? He cringed when he heard another door slam. That can't be good.

The security detail stared at Logan as he walked up the sidewalk. He shrugged his shoulders. "Women!" When he turned the doorknob, the door was locked, he knocked. "Mac, let me in." When she didn't, he continued, "Open the door." She didn't, again. "Never mind, I'll use my key."

When he entered, the dogs studied him, so he asked, "Where'd she go?"

Edger glanced toward the stairs.

"So she went to her room. Makes sense." He petted the large dog. "Any idea what I do now?"

Edger lay down, and Arlo barked.

"I doubt going to her room's a good idea. She'll probably throw something at me. I have a feeling she's got a pretty good arm." Logan stepped on the bottom step. "Mac, I'm not coming to your room. I respect your privacy, but this isn't getting us anywhere. Come down. We can talk about it." He paused. "I'm sorry, I laughed. It was insensitive of me. I didn't mean to insult you."

He sat on the couch, Edger on his left and Arlo on the right. "Guys, any idea how long this wait's going to be?" He heard a noise and glanced at the top of the stair. "Are you joining us?"

McKenzie took one step.

Logan stood. "I'm sorry I offended you. I didn't mean to. I messed up." He studied her for a few moments. "I think we have a misunderstanding. What's your definition of 'shacking up'? I'm thinking that may be where the mix up is." When she didn't answer, he continued, "We'll be staying in the same house, but I'll be sleeping on the couch. We won't be intimate. I couldn't do that with you."

She tilted her head, waited a moment, and then turned around.

He moved toward the steps. "I just put my foot in my mouth again. I didn't mean that like it sounded. I respect you too much to sleep with you."

Turning around, McKenzie walked down the stairs. At the bottom step she asked, "How many women have you shacked up with?"

"None."

McKenzie turned and started up the stairs.

Logan touched her arm. "Mac?"

"I thought we were going to have an honest conversation. I don't believe you."

"Why? I'm telling the truth."

"So you're telling me you've never had sex?"

He raised his hands chest high and palms out. "I didn't say that." He took her hand. "I think we're talking two different things. Let's talk this out." He led her to the couch. "Sit."

They both sat. "Yes, I've had sex, but no I've never shacked up with a woman. What else do you want to know?"

"Why haven't you shacked up with someone?"

"I guess because, if I'm going to keep house with a lady, I don't want it to be pretend. I want it to be the real thing. I want to be married."

"Have you ever come close to being married?"

"Once, I thought about it. She didn't like me being gone with Army business and it became a trust issue. Remember when I said trust was very important?" After McKenzie nodded, Logan continued, "Because of a lack of trust, we both decided to go our separate ways."

"How long ago was that?"

"Close to two and half years, ago. Why?"

"No reason. Just curious."

"Do you want to know my entire dating history?" He paused. When she didn't answer, he continued, "I'll gladly share it with you."

"It's not necessary. Besides it's none of my business."

"True, it's not, but I don't have anything to hide. If it'll help you become more comfortable with me, I'll tell you."

Her eyes avoided his, as she said, "I've dated some men, but have never been seriously involved. I've never been with a man. I mean really been with a man."

He held her hand. "That's nothing to be ashamed of." He kissed her forehead. All of this makes more sense now.

"I wasn't crying upstairs and I'm not going to cry now."

Logan grinned. "I know you're not." When he felt she was more composed, he said, "Mac, I'm safe. I'll never hurt you, in any way."

Her eyes met his. "I know that. I really do know it."




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton



Recognized


Thank you google images for image of a slamming door. I had edited this post many times but when I reread it before church, I found many issues with it. I really appreciate your help. This post is a little under 900 words. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.
Thank you for your wonderful support.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.