General Non-Fiction posted November 22, 2019 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Continuation of my adventures.

A chapter in the book My Life

Arizona

by aryr



Background
My continuing adventures as a full time RVer.
We pulled into the park just after lunch time, I think they were a little surprised to see how long we were. But they found room for us. This would be our home for a while, the middle of nowhere called The Wild West Ranch and RV Resort.

Apparently, the land that the park is on -- and from the sound of it-- much more, was once owned by the actor, John Wayne. When he died it was made into smaller lots that were sold. From what I understand, it was he who originally established the campground and RV resort. There is no pool and the club house is being renovated. It is located in the middle of nowhere. Lots of dirt, dried out tumble weed and sage bushes. I haven't seen a lot of wildlife but people on the first row (outside row) have reported seeing snakes and I have heard coyotes at night. When I walk Sallie at night before going to bed, I make sure I have a bright flashlight. Oh before I forget, Arizona does not do a time change so sunrise is about 6 am and sunset is around 6 pm, and because there are no towns close, at night it is pitch black.

The closest city is about 13 miles away but has Fry's which is equal to Kroger or Dillion, a large Walmart, and shops and restaurants galore. Just before reaching the city there is an enormous Harrah's Casino. After all, there is a high Native American Indian community throughout Arizona. Perhaps one day I will venture to the casino, just not today.

I think I am adjusting to the brown and beige bleakness of the area, the only color I have seen is when there are colorful blossoms on the tops of the various cacti. There are a couple of fields on the way to town that are a vivid green, I have no idea what is growing but it is a refreshing green. I have seen fields and fields of cotton but from what I understand it is not profitable to grow since they have to buy the water.

Cattle yards seem to be a big thing here. When we go to the city we pass a large one with at least 500 head and if we go the other way to a different city we pass five yards with at least 1000 head of cattle at each one. One almost prays for the wind to not be in the direction of the park.

One thing I have definitely learned over the years, even before being a full time RVer, is the ability to distinguish the different poop smells. I can say most emphatically that chicken poop is the worst of the worst, and the flies that seem to go with it tend to swarm. And they bite. Causes me to shiver.

For two and a half days we had a fairly constant rain, but it did not cause flooding in the park. The sky was dark with clouds and, in the distance, we could see lightning, but thunder seemed to be ever present. Jim did report several streets in Chandler were flooded. The Phoenix News reported massive flooding in various areas. I guess we just lucked out. From what I understand they did not get near the expected rain during their wet season-June to September.

Now that the rain has stopped, I can get to be back to the dirt, beige and brown of life thus far at the park.

One thing that is nice is that the laundry room here is always clean, as are the showers and restrooms. I use the laundry when I have sheets, full laundry, towels etc. Otherwise I use my washer and dryer. If I did the heavy loads I would be washing and drying all day.The office and general store have a good supply of snack foods, beer and wine of various kinds.

Well for now I will leave you to enjoy the sun. Thanks for coming to the ranch lol. Happy trails.

To be continued...


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.