General Non-Fiction posted November 19, 2019 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Continuation of my adventures.

A chapter in the book My Life

Going Across Country

by aryr



Background
Our adventures as full time RVers.
We remained at the park for a couple more weeks, while Jim finished the contract in that area. The parks we stayed at in Georgia were not bad, the state park was isolated and tight fitting, after that the location was great, except I really hated climbing a hill to get to either mail, laundry or the dumpster. The next one was an old KOA, with very narrow site, but hey the dumpster was just across the road, lol.

Then we relocated about four hours away, to the area south of Atlanta, Georgia, USA. The reasoning was economical. The business was not doing as well as Jim and Kevin thought it would, and while there was enough work for one of them, it meant one would be without income. That was us, unfortunately. At least my pension saw us through. Jim started looking for something else, since most companies were interested in contracts next year in the late spring or early summer.

Most of October was spent with Jim searching for and filling in applications online. Then he got a call of interest from the other side of the country in Phoenix, Arizona. During this call, he was asked if he would mind flying out to Arizona for a face to face interview, at their expense. They called back later that day to advise him that his flight was booked for that Friday. Today was Monday. So off he went on Friday. He called when he was on his way back to the airport, that they had all agreed and he would start the contract on November 4th. This meant that we would leave the RV park in Georgia on Monday the 28th of October and he would be ready for work on the 4th.

In the meantime, his sister, who lives near Macon, Georgia, invited me to a luncheon that was a breast cancer event the day before he flew out. Since we had gotten off to a rocky start I agreed and drove the two hours each way. It was very educational, and I did learn a lot about the emotional side of having breast cancer. Ironically, when she was stricken, it was me that she directed all her questions to. That broke the ice between us.

Before that, because she is a staunch Catholic and I am Wiccan (pagan), she didn't feel I was worthy of knowing her. Oh well.

I was equally impressed when she asked me to house sit and watch over her 15 year old son a couple of weeks before. Everything went fine. Do you know how long it has been? I hadn't been children watching since I took on the challenge of home schooling the grandchildren in my late 40s. This boy was courteous, understanding, even if he did vape. Of course, I did my nursing talk about it still being a chemical in his lung. Fortunately, while I was there, there was a somewhat local death related to vaping. Boy, did he change his mind.

Anyway, we were off going across the country. The first day-Monday- we traveled as far as Shreveport, Louisiana, we had stayed at that particular park before, so they were familiar with us and we with them. Gravel parking with a hint of grass. But there was a Mexican restaurant next door. Yeaaa, I didn't have to cook. It was a long day, I believe it was 10 hours on the road. We traveled through Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and most of Louisiana. And they still hadn't fixed the roads in Louisiana, at least in the big truck I wasn't beaten to death by the bumps and rough roads.

The next day Tuesday, included travel for the rest of Louisiana and a good deal of Texas, we were following I-20. Thankfully it was an eight hour day. The park was easy to find and get into. Again, it was gravel with a hint of grass. Sallie of course loved the idea of pooping on the grass.

Wednesday took us the rest of the way through Texas to mile zero which put us 1/2 mile from the New Mexico border. The previous two days had been long but uneventful. Today however, the four-lane highway on our side was blocked by a five car pile-up. Nothing moved for almost an hour then four lanes were diverted to a single lane. That was a 2½ hour delay. Thank goodness we were not the cause. Did I mention that the semi that we tow with is 28 feet long, the camper is 44 feet long and we towed a smart car which is about 10 foot long? First time towing the little car, since the whole trip was about 1900 miles, and it was decided that it was a long way for me to drive. Whew. We stopped after nine hours. This park as well was gravel but the site was humongous. They also had a dog park which was right next door to the kiddies park, separated with a chain link fence.

Thursday, took us the last leg of Texas, through where we were traveling in New Mexico and into Tucson, Arizona. Things were definitely brown, beige and mostly dirt and cactus/cacti/cactuses. I have learned that much - lol. Another eight hour day. This time we stayed at a fairgrounds, and the site was dirt. We had a tree that blocked our satellite, so no TV that night. We did go to a restaurant recommended by a friend. Another night I didn't have to cook. (smile)

Friday was the day we finally arrived at the campground which was about 30 miles from where Jim would work.

To be continued..... more tomorrow.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.