General Fiction posted November 8, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a short story.

Evening in Montreal

by judester


i was staying with my friend at his basement apartment in Montreal.

Returning home one night, we met up with a homeless guy who sat just outside the apartment door trying to keep warm from the freezing weather.

My friend does not ever suffer fools lightly. He had lived there for a while and was familiar with the folks down on their luck.
Quite the opposite of my misguided goodwill.

Once inside, I suggested that we give the poor guy a cup of hot cream of carrot soup that we had made earlier.
My friend grudgingly agreed. I prepared the soup and added some toast, then opened the door and offered it generously to our 'guest.'

Bob was fuming slightly as we watched tv. I knew that he just wanted his cup back and the guy gone.

A few minutes later, there was a light knock on the door.

Bob jerked his head towards the door and pitched me a look that said 'go finish your little deed so I can relax please.'

I opened the door with a beautific smile, until I took in the scene.

The guy was leaning casually against the wall, tapping an unlit cigarette against the jamb and held out the empty bowl.

"Can I get a cup of coffee?"

My goodwill suddenly dried up as I took the cup, told him no, then softly closed the door.

From the living room, I could hear Bob chuckling.




A Good Turn Gone Wrong writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Please write a very short story based on trying to help someone, but it's not appreciated. Fun or serious. No poetry.

MAX words - 300


Thanks to Lentemante for the artwork.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lentamente at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.