General Poetry posted November 15, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A tribute to the Lewis and Clark Expedition

Family Name: Charboneau

by Lobber


Chances are you have

Heard

About Lewis and Clark's search for a

Route to the Pacific.


Both dreamed of

Opening a trail to the West to be specific.

Neither realized the hardships

Each one would have to bear, but

A squaw of Charboneau's, with an

Unusual knowledge and loving care - helped the expedition to survive - and keep our history alive.



Acrostic Poetry Contest contest entry

Recognized

#738
2019


1.
The letters 'eau' in the name Charboneau are pronounced as 'aw' in Cheboygan, Michigan where my Charboneau relatives reside. Toussaint 's name has been spelled variously by historians: Charbono, Shabono, Sharbono, Charboneau, Chaboneau, Charbonneau, Charbonet and Chabonau.

2.
In English using the word squaw is considered an ethnic and sexual slur. Contemporary use of the term is considered inappropriate and it represents the prejudicial mentality of former settlers. However, the term occurs throughout North America in the names of municipalities, townships, rivers, mountains and resorts. In this FS historical, acrostic poem the use of the word is deemed appropriate.

3.
Background: In 1960 my sister 'D' (b. 1942) married into the famous family of Toussaint Charboneau (1767-1843). The squaw referenced in the poem is Sacagawea, one of Toussaint's brightest wives. She helped the Lewis and Clark Expedition in achieving their chartered mission objectives by exploring the Louisiana Territory.

4.
My sister 'D' and I co-authored this poem which contains a number of internal rhymes.
- Lobber (November, 2019)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lobber All rights reserved.
Lobber has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.