Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted November 5, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Talking to young people today (3-5-3)

Looking at It Realistically

by Y. M. Roger


Falling down

only truly hurts

when you stay



Recognized

#1771
2019


I worked with and had a heart-to-heart with another of my students yesterday (she's sixteen).... If I could give one piece of advice to parents out there, it would be to STOP helping your children clear every freaking hurdle or, worse, doing it for them in their teen years (or even pre-teen, for that matter). Let them fail and pick themselves up again.... let them face the music and re-join the dance...

Okay, so you may think that is harsh, but more and more, I have students 16 or 17 years old that have never felt the 'sting' of rejection or failure and they just wanna lay down and quit cuz it 'hurts' so much or it's 'embarrassing'. Parents seem to forget that you have to learn to hurt just like you have to learn to enjoy... they are two sides of life's coin that, when flipped, doesn't always land on 'joy'... sigh.

As always, thank you for reading me! ;)


Image of 'Happiness' from Ash gallery at Art Pal [www.artpal.com/ashgallery]
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.