Romance Fiction posted November 3, 2019 Chapters:  ...36 37 -38- 39... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan and McKenzie arrive at the hospital.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 16 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Tuesday morning. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 7 days. They've made it an entire week. LOL

Ending of Previous Post:

"I like that idea." Bill finished his coffee. "I'd better get to the office. I'll be checking in throughout the day." He leaned over and kissed McKenzie's forehead. "Stay safe."

After Bill left, McKenzie looked out the window. "Do you really believe all this is necessary?"

"Are you forgetting what happened last night?" Logan studied the skillet. "I guess I'll fix breakfast after we finish our runs."

"Could it be that Jose getting shot was just a freak accident? It was just a gang-related drive-by? They do happen in The Lou."

Stepping closer to her, Logan asked, "Do you really believe that?"

"No. But I do need to work. I have bills to pay. I can't stay held up in my home forever. Besides, here I'm a sitting duck just waiting for an attack."

"I understand." Logan took her hand. "But your safety takes priority."

McKenzie sighed.


TODAY'S POST:

After the work out and breakfast, Logan and McKenzie were on their way to the hospital when Logan's phone rang. He handed it to McKenzie. "Answer it. I'm driving, and the traffic's heavy."

"Hello." McKenzie answered and explained to Bill why she had Logan's phone. She added, "I have you on speaker."

Bill continued, "Logan, do you remember when you first noticed Sidney Parks last night? I'm not buying that he got the news on the police scanner and was there that fast. I think he was already close by waiting to hear the results."

McKenzie tilted her head. "Sidney Parks was there last night? I didn't see him."

Logan nodded. "You were busy taking care of Jose and didn't notice. I didn't notice him until you pointed him out. I agree. He was way too comfortable. He didn't just come up on the scene. But how do we verify our suspicions?"

"I doubt if we can. I'll check and see if there are any security cameras in the area. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one feeling this way."

"You're not. We're close to the hospital. Can we finish this in a few minutes?"

"I've got somebody at my door, so I need to go anyway. I'll be checking in on you. Bye."

McKenzie handed the phone back to Logan. "It's looking more and more like Sidney Parks is the same Sidney that Megan had her meeting with. Why was she meeting with him? Were they dating? I wonder how old he is. Is he too old for her? None of this makes sense. Besides why and what does that have to do with Jose getting shot?"

"Or better yet, the threats to you."

Entering the hospital, Logan and McKenzie went straight to Jose's room. McKenzie showed the two officers outside his door identification, and they allowed her and Logan to enter.

McKenzie hugged Lucy. "How are you doing?"

Jose piped up. "Hey, I'm the one who was shot, why aren't you asking me how I'm doing?"

Logan shook his hand. "Jose, how are you doing?"

Giving Jose a hug, McKenzie teased, "Well, Jose, exactly how are you?"

"I'm glad you asked. I'm fine. Please tell my doc that I'm ready to get out of here and back to work." Jose paused. "You two have any ideas, who did this or why?"

Studying her feet, McKenzie said, "You know you were shot pushing me out of the way. I was the intended target."

Jose reached for her hand. "I'd do it again, too. You know you would've done the same."

Tears welled. "True, but it still doesn't seem right that you took a bullet meant for me." McKenzie wiped her eyes. She glanced toward Logan.

He leaned toward her and whispered, "I know you're not crying but if you were, it would be all right." He winked at Jose.

Jose responded with a grin. He reached for Lucy's hand. "Mac, Lucy hasn't left my side. Why don't you two females get some lunch and let us men discuss our battle scares?"

Lucy reached for Mac's hand. "That sounds like a great idea. I heard the cafeteria has really good cheeseburgers."

Logan stepped outside and signaled for an officer to follow the ladies.

Jose chuckled. "How'd you get so much authority in such a short time? Nobody listens to me and I've been around for years."

"I have Bill on speed dial. You know DA Abbott."

"Has he hooked you up with a weapon, yet?"

Logan raised his shirt and showed Jose the handgun Bill had given him. "He's supposed to send somebody with the permit this afternoon." He sighed. "He's checking on Mac every few hours. He's really worried about her."

"I'm not surprised. I've heard rumors about how close he was to Mac's dad. He and his wife were her godparents. Since her parents were murdered they've taken her in as their own. They couldn't have kids. Mac's their daughter."

"I've noticed. It's good for both of them. Mac needs family. Do you know anything about her parents or grandparents?"

"I met her dad a few times. He was a great guy. I never met her mom or her grandparents. I heard rumors about one of her grandpas. I heard he was mean. He died under suspicious circumstances, but nobody questioned it. It was like they figured he had it coming."

Jose answered his ringing cell. After he listened a few moments, he said, "Thanks for the information." He grinned at Logan. "You'll like this. Donny's last name is Carlton. Give me a paper and a pencil. I'll write down the address." After a few attempts at writing, Jose held out the pencil. "You'll have to do it." He patted the bandages on his right arm. "I guess I won't be writing anything for a few days." Logan wrote as Jose repeated the address, "5450 Geraldine Ave."

"Isn't that in the Mark Twain area?" After Jose nodded, Logan continued, "It's not the world's safest neighborhood, is it?"

"It's not. I know you'll want to check this place out." Jose paused before he continued, "Would Mac be followed?"

"She would." Logan removed his cell. "Bill, Jose just got Donny's address. I'm wondering if you would be able to get a rental car parked in the employee parking lot. Mac and I could check his place out without anybody knowing we left the hospital. We could leave through an employee exit. I'm sure my rental is being watched. We'll return when we're done and go home like they'd expect us to do." He hung up. "He'll let us know when the car arrives."

After McKenzie and Lucy returned with cheeseburgers for Logan and Jose, Logan filled her in on how they'd be going to check out Donny's house.

About an hour later, Bill called Logan and told him the rental was parked in the employee parking garage and gave him the parking slot number. He also said a nurse would be handing him the keys.

As McKenzie and Logan prepared to leave, Jose asked, "Mac, this isn't one of The Lou's finest neighborhoods, are you prepared?"

Tapping her right side's waistband, she nodded. "I'm good." She glanced at Logan. "I'm worried about you."

Before Logan could answer, a police officer knocked on the door. When Logan answered, the officer said, "This is a special delivery from DA Abbot for a Major Logan Nelson."

Logan accepted the envelope. "Thank you." He watched the officer leave before he opened it. "Good. Now, I don't have to worry."

McKenzie leaned over to see what it was. "How or why or who did you get this from?" She shook her head. "It's a concealed weapons permit. Are they handing these out to everybody now-a-days? You don't even have a gun."

Jose grinned. "I think you need to let her in on this."

Logan raised his shirttail, revealing the gun. "Bill gave this to me. He wants to ensure your safety."

Opening the door, McKenzie said, "Let's get going. So Bill's behind this. I need to think about this and then have a chat with him." She turned around. "Jose, Lucy, this shouldn't take long. We'll be back."

*****
Logan drove slowly down the street in front of Donny's small, rundown house. "This looks way too peaceful. Something doesn't feel right."

"I agree. Drive a few houses down and park. We can decide how we want to approach it."



Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny Carlton A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased
Austin Bryant an old boyfriend - McKenzie broke up with him because he's a jerk.
Joshua Davis so far a nobody, but is a neighbor to Donny Carlton





Recognized


Thank you google images for photo of Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. I've made changes to this post again today. I hope I didn't make it worse. I really appreciate your help. This post is a little over 1200 words. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder as they get closer to becoming a couple.
Thank you for your wonderful support.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.