Romance Fiction posted October 20, 2019 Chapters:  ...34 35 -36- 37... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jose gets shot.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 15 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Monday evening. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 6 days.

Ending of Previous Post:

Once back downstairs, she started to call a taxi. Logan grabbed the phone. "I'll drive you to the Tin Roof. I told you I'm going." He paused. "You look nice by-the-way."

McKenzie glared at him. "I told you I could handle this myself."

"I don't listen or follow directions very well." He opened the door. "Ladies first. Even angry ladies."

"Whatever."

"Where's this place?"

"On Clark Avenue."

"That's down by the stadium, right?"

McKenzie nodded.

"Is there any way we can call a truce?" When he received no answer, he continued, "I'm sorry. I didn't realize it would cause this much trouble. I was curious."

"I'd already told you I didn't want to talk about Mom's dad."

"You did but..."

"There are no buts. The conversation is over."

"Okay, when you're ready to discuss it, I'm here for you."

"I'll never be ready."

TODAY'S POST:

Jose tapped Logan's shoulder and asked to cut in. Logan graciously bowed and went back to the area he'd had originally occupied.

With a grin, Jose said, "You looked like a couple."

"Only for appearances," replied McKenzie.

"Of course," teased Jose. "I don't think Donny's showing."

"I don't either. We need to find out where he's been hiding this past week."

"I agree." When the music stopped, Jose walked her off the dance floor. "Ready to leave?"

McKenzie nodded toward Logan to let him know their plans. "I think we can safely walk out together."

Together they walked toward the block where they had parked.

*****
After a few minutes, Logan walked toward the door. Austin walked up to him. "So you think Mac's your lady?"

"No. What's it to you anyway? We danced a few dances."

"She's mine."

"I understood she'd broken it off and she's not seeing anybody."

"That was temporary. She's high strung. She realized what she's missed."

Logan attempted to walk away, but Austin grabbed his arm. "You'd better stay away from her."

Yanking his arm away, Logan grabbed the front of Austin's T-shirt. His eyes glared, his voice quiet, yet stern. "Don't do that again. Don't make threats you can't enforce. Don't ever come in contact with McKenzie again. If you do, you'll have me to deal with. It's not a threat, it's a promise." Logan let go, turned, and walked out the front door. As he headed toward the car, he heard two gun shots.

McKenzie screamed and grabbed her friend. "Jose!" She pressed her hands against his shoulder wound, willing the bleeding to stop. "Somebody call an ambulance!"

Logan ran up. "You all right?"

She nodded. "Yes, but Jose's been shot."

Removing his shirt, Logan knelt beside her and handed it to her. "Press this hard on the wound. What happened?"

Tears streamed down McKenzie's cheeks. "We were talking and this black SUV slowed down and started firing. They were meant for me. Jose pushed me down and got shot." The crying became heavier. "This bullet was meant for me. Jose's shot because he protected me."

"Was it the same SUV we saw at the warehouse?"

McKenzie nodded. "I think so, but can't be sure."

The ambulance arrived and EMT attendants cleared the area so they could stabilize Jose. McKenzie remained in Logan's arms, until the police came and questioned them, separately.

When Bill arrived, McKenzie ran to him and cried, "Bill, do something."

He kissed her forehead. "Sweetheart, it's out of my hands now."

Bill nodded for Logan to look to his left and said, "Mac, I need to speak to somebody. Logan'll stay with you."

Putting his arms around McKenzie, Logan guided her head to his chest. "In a few minutes, they'll transport Jose to the hospital. I'll take you there." He watched Bill walk over to Sidney Parks.

After EMTs were positive Jose was stabilized, they loaded him in the back of the ambulance and headed toward Barnes-Jewish Hospital.

Bill, Logan, and McKenzie headed toward their cars. Logan helped McKenzie into his car. As he readied to shut her door, she said, "Thank you for everything."

"You have nothing to thank me for."

She wiped a tear. "I do. You told me something was off tonight, and I wouldn't listen. If I had, maybe Jose would be safe at home with his wife."

"Nobody could've predicted this would happen." Logan shut the door, opened the trunk, reached inside his bag, and grabbed another shirt. As he walked to the driver's side, he put it on.

He slid behind the steering wheel, turned the key, and then reached for McKenzie's hand. He held it. "We'll be there in a few minutes."

*****
At the hospital, they were told that Jose was in an operating room. As they waited, Jose's wife, Lucy, arrived.

McKenzie ran to her. "I'm so sorry." They hugged.

"Mac, it's not your fault. Every time Jose goes out, I know this could happen."

Tears rolled down McKenzie's cheeks. "But this bullet had my name on it. He pushed me out of the way." She broke down.

Logan put his arm around McKenzie and drew her to him.

Through her tears, Lucy said, "Mac, you would've done the same for Jose. That's what partners do. That's what makes you two a good team."

Acknowledging what Lucy had said, Logan nodded. He guided both ladies to a chair. "It may be a long wait."

Bill walked over to Logan. "Can we talk?"

Logan glanced at the ladies. "If it's short." He stood, and they stepped off to the side.

Bill turned away from McKenzie's eyesight and said, "Sidney Parks told me that he was there because he'd heard a police officer was shot and wanted to offer support."

"Do you believe him?"

"Nope."

"Good, neither do I."

"I have something for you." Bill snuck Logan a Sig Sauer P226 TACPAC 9MM pistol. "I'm sure you're used to better, but this is the best I could come up with on short notice. I went out on a limb, so don't rob a bank with it."

"It's perfect. Do I need to fill out any paperwork? What about a license?"

"I hear you went by the firing range with Mac today."

"There are no secrets in this town, are there?"

"Not a one. The manager's a friend. He vouched that you can handle a gun, so we're good. Just make sure Mac's safe. Think now she'll let you camp out on her sofa?"

Logan studied her. "Maybe tonight. She's really upset, but she might kick me out tomorrow night. I've already been ordered to leave once today."

Bill shook his head. "What did you do?"

"She caught me researching Gus Piper."

"I'm surprised she didn't shoot you herself. She must really like you. I don't even know all the facts."

"Really?"

"As close as her dad and I were, he never told me what happened. It was never talked about."

A doctor came up to Lucy.

McKenzie glanced around for Logan. He walked over to her and put his arm around her waist.

The doctor said, "Mr. Lopez is out of surgery. He'll be drowsy for the rest of the night. He should make a full recovery. The bullet missed all the important organs. If I were you, I'd go home tonight. You should be able to speak with him tomorrow."

Logan asked, "Can Mrs. Lopez see him? I'm sure there's a place in the room she can stay for the night."

The doctor sighed. "There's a couch we can make up for her."

Bill nodded. "I'll stay with her until she's settled. Logan, take McKenzie home."

*****
When Logan parked the car, the police detail was already in place.

McKenzie glanced around. "I'm never going to get rid of them, now. Am I?"

"Pretty sure Bill isn't going to allow you out of the house without a body guard."

She opened the car door. "You'd better hurry to your hotel. I don't want you getting shot too."

Logan took her arm. "I'm not worried about getting shot. I am worried about your safety. I'm not going anywhere. You have a comfortable couch. I'm sleeping on it tonight." He reached back and grabbed his bag. McKenzie opened her mouth to speak, but he continued, "Don't say a word. It's my turn to be stubborn. Once inside, you go on to bed. I'll take care of the dogs."



Thank you for the video from the Legends Undercover. They play in the St. Louis area.









Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila's his wife.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez his wife is Lucy Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents
Sidney Parks works for the St. Louis Police Detective with the drug unit.
Mack and Helen Morgan McKenzie's parents - both deceased
Gus Piper McKenzie's abusive grandfather - deceased



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you google images for photo of the Tin Roof, in St. Louis. I've added a video of a band who plays there. I've made changes to this post again today. I hope I didn't make it worse. I really appreciate your help. This post is a little over 1200 words. Logan and McKenzie continue their search for Megan's murder and they get closer to becoming a couple.
Thank you for your wonderful support.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.