General Flash Fiction posted October 20, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
He's a sun-bronzed Aussie. (50 words)

Jumping To Conclusions

by LisaMay



He was out of pocket when he left home; he owed his mum a lot. He has absolutely no respect for boundaries – he jumps right over them. His macho mates like boxing and wrestling. I hop to it keeping up with him, but I’ll probably live to roo the day.
 



Recognized


Author's Note:

This is number 22 in the series of my hypothetical 'new boyfriends'.

By popular tradition, the kangaroo is accepted as the Australian national animal symbol and it features on the Australian Coat of Arms (along with an Emu). There are many different types of kangaroos and wallabies; the red kangaroo is the largest terrestrial mammal native to Australia, and the largest marsupial still in existence (carrying young in a pouch).
Red kangaroos are found widely across western and central Australia. They prefer semi-arid plains, grasslands, woodlands and open forests. While some live alone, most are found in large groups or 'mobs'. They are sexually dimorphic: the reddish coloured males are much larger than the usually blue-grey coloured females. Males are called 'boomers' and females are called 'flyers'. Females can weigh from 18 to 40 kg (40 to 88 lb), while males typically weigh about twice as much at 55 to 90 kg (121 to 198 lb). The average red kangaroo stands approximately 1.5 m (4.9 ft) tall to the top of the head in upright posture. Large mature males can stand more than 1.8 m (5.9 ft) tall, with the largest confirmed one having been around 2.1 m (6.9 ft) tall and weighed 91 kg (201 lb)
The red kangaroo's legs work much like a rubber band, with the Achilles tendon stretching as the animal comes down, then releasing its energy to propel the animal up and forward, enabling the characteristic bouncing locomotion. They can hop at speeds of up to 70 kph (over 40 mph); the males can cover up to 9 metres in one leap (over 29 feet).
Most combative interactions occur between young males engaging in ritualised fighting known as boxing. They stand up on their hind limbs and attempt to push their opponent off balance by jabbing him or locking forearms. Using their tail to support their weight, they deliver kicks with their powerful hind legs. Compared to other kangaroo species, fights between red kangaroo males tend to involve more wrestling. Fights establish dominance relationships among males, and determine who gets access to estrous females.
The female kangaroo is usually permanently pregnant (except on the day she gives birth). However, she has the ability to stall the development of an embryo until the previous joey is able to leave the pouch. This is known as 'diapause', and will occur in times of drought and in areas with poor food sources.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.