Romance Fiction posted October 7, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The love letters continue.

Love Letter on a Clipboard #2

by Sally Law






~**~
“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.” — Morrie Schwartz






Dearest woman I love,

I couldn't sleep, so I decided to move my lazy carcass from the bed and type you a love letter. I've been awake since 4 o'clock, so I might as well give into this and my thoughts of you. I hope to have this finished and on your clipboard by the time your shift starts.  I received your love letter, Kristin, and it made me love you all the more; a possibility I knew existed, but until now, never entertained. 

Your letter left me reeling, and confirmed to me that I am an excellent judge of both character and beauty. You said you felt awakened within, by my confessions of love. I feel the same way; like Lazarus raised from the dead, I have come back to life.

I could be a bad person for all you know. But yet, you walk through life with your heart wide open, willing to take a chance.

Are you enjoying the little gifts I've sent? They are small tokens from a man whose heart is completely filled with you.

You've confessed your chocolate fetish to me on many occasions. Chocolate with almonds, I believe, is your favorite. Let me know if I have that all wrong. 

I do have a confession to make, O robber of my heart. I met you two years ago at a spinal rehab center. I was being treated for a severely bruised spine. Anyway, you sat across from me in the waiting room. You were with your mother, but smiled and caught my eye when you handed me a copy of 'Popular Mechanics.' You probably don't remember, as I looked much different from how I do now. I wasn't wearing hospital attire, and my hair was long and shaggy. I remembered you; and, when I saw you again when you first arrived at Southside Baptist Hospital, I knew I'd been given a second chance.

My sweet love, something has happened to me! I am hopelessly and completely in love with you, and I haven't even held your hand or kissed your lips. How can this be?

The sweetest sounds of my day are your voice, contagious laughter, and your footsteps echoing through the corridors. I find everything about you endearing and disarming. I thought I could back away from you and just be an acquaintance, but I cannot. My soul has already left my body and traveled to yours, Miss Spencer.

I was wondering, if you're not too busy, if we could make a date for Christmas Eve Eve? I have adjusted my holiday schedule, and hope to take you out for a nice dinner. I promise, nothing that even resembles hospital cuisine.

Please accept this gift card; you'll be needing a new dress for our special date. (Don't forget to request the day off, so it will be doctor-approved.)

I feel bad that you know virtually nothing about me; so I decided with today's letter, I would give you a little hint of my identity. Here goes. Whenever I'm near you, I can't look into your eyes for more than a few seconds because I fear you'll see how deeply I care.

Secretly placing letters on your pink clipboard is the highlight of my day. I'm hoping these letters make my way into your heart because I will never be truly happy until I have won your love.

I love you, Kristin Spencer.
Your Secret Admirer

P.S.  A poem, along with some chocolate-covered almonds, for you today. I hope you like poetry, as this is one of my new favorites.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Little Voice
your little voice
                    Over the wires came leaping
and i felt suddenly
dizzy
     With the jostling and shouting of merry flowers
wee skipping high-heeled flames
courtesied before my eyes
                             or twinkling over to my side
Looked up
with impertinently exquisite faces
floating hands were laid upon me
I was whirled and tossed into delicious dancing
up
Up
with the pale important
                          stars and the Humorous
                                                  moon
dear girl
How i was crazy how i cried when i heard
                                            over time
and tide and death
leaping
Sweetly
          your voice

E. E. Cummings 

---------------------------------------------------------------------



Recognized

#125
2019


Poetry by E. E. Cummings, titled, Your Little Voice.
https://hellopoetry.com/poets/e-e-cummings/


Artwork: https://pixabay.com/illustrations/background-letters-heart-683303/
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.