General Fiction posted October 5, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Almost true

The Princess

by Heather Knight


Outside, the war raged on. It didn't care about happiness, broken childhoods or hunger. It just burned its way across the country leaving a trail of devastation behind.

Inside her basement flat, four-year-old Carmen was taking a bath in a huge copper basin her mother had filled with warm water.

'Are you cold, sweetie?'

'No, but my water's boring.'

'What do you mean boring?'

'It has no bubbles.'

'I'm sorry. There's no soap left.'

From his workshop, Rafael, Carmen's father, listened to the conversation. He felt guilty. He hadn't been drafted because of his age, but despite being at home, he didn't make enough money to feed his family.

He decided to go for a walk to clear his head.

'I'll be back in an hour,' he told his wife.

Once in the street, Rafael wrapped his scarf around his neck.

He walked aimlessly for a while and then, he remembered a man who used to peddle all kinds of things in a bar near Goya.

When he got there, he was told to walk to the back.

It was dark behind the red curtain. The peddler was smoking a pipe.

'Do you have soap?' Rafael asked him.

With his treasure in his pocket, he returned home.

Carmen was still splashing in the now cold water.

'I have a present for you,' he told her.

The little girl opened her eyes wide.

'Now I feel like a princess,' she said, a cheeky smile on her face.



Recognized


This is based on my mother's childhood during the Spanish war.
My grandfather, was in his thirties, but he joined the army as a volunteer. He wanted a better future for his children.

Club entry for the "250-word story" event in "Flash Fiction and Short Shorts".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.