Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 27, 2019 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
You love doing it and miss it at times.

A chapter in the book Geoff's Ramblings

Joy In Walking - When You Can.

by Sankey




Background
I decided on this way of adding more to my book "The Little Dog That Wouldn't Let Go" I just got finished, so as not to leave things "up in the air" and me still feeling I had to add more to my story.
For quite some time, now I have enjoyed my walks. I was so thrilled when my brother-in-law, last Christmas introduced me to "Strava." Strava is a much better way of recording all my walks, than the silly old wheely thing I bought ages ago to push along in front of me to measure the distance of my walks. Thank God for modern technology. Here is a Link to Strava should readers be interested in obtaining the facility.
 

Strava

It has been an interesting debate between my Endocrinologist, her Registrar and other underlings, together with my Local Doctor and the physiotherapist over how much walking I should do. On one hand, the Endocrinologist and her staff have encouraged me to do as much walking as possible. My Local Doctor is of the same mind as well.

However, due to problems with my left leg, left hip and more recently an injury to my left calf muscle from stepping into a hole accidentally, during one of my tram videoing opportunities, there is even more reason to cut down on the walking. This is recommended by the physiotherapist. So you can see, in some ways, I am most definitely the "meat in the sandwich" between these two lines of direction.

I contacted the local council about the hole and my injury because of it. They were very quick to "pass the buck" on responsibility for the said hole. It seems because of the new "Light Rail" or tram service that will be commencing in December right opposite the bus stop and hole I nearly fell over, responsibility for the region has been taken over by our government transport department. 

I have now passed on the bills for three physiotherapy treatments on the calf and photo evidence of the hole and location of same to the transport authority's insurance company for assessment and hopefully reimbursement of $AU210. I have noticed, even after these three treatments, the calf muscle injury still makes itself known at times. Who knows? I may still need more treatment on it down the road.

My wife was worried, for a time, I was becoming rather reclusive and not wanting to go out much. Since she now goes out with the carers and to bible study, it now gives me more time to get out and I love going into the city to check out the trams and even some train routes around the place that I have not been on for years. Since we married and more so since Louise had her shoulder injury, we have only been driving everywhere in our car for nearly 30 years.

In the first few weeks on the trains again after all these years, it was surprising the number of times the ticket inspectors came through. I don't mind and am glad to see fare evaders are not getting so much opportunity to ride free while those of us of limited means are still paying our way.

Last week I got to go on a historical trip that involved some hard work towards the end. Especially seeing I have injured myself as above, recently. I wanted to take a ride on the soon to close Carlingford line. I understand it is one of Sydney's earliest railway lines between Carlingford in the North West of Sydney and Clyde, the junction with, amongst others, the main western line. At the end of the Carlingford - Clyde journey, I had to deal with something that is not necessary on a lot of stations around Sydney these days.

I had imagined from some information I received that Clyde station was one of the last stations to be modernised. A lot of Sydney Stations now have lifts or elevators for those in the Northern Hemisphere. Clyde station only had a portable Chair lift, that was claimed to not be very reliable. Perhaps the patronage of this station has  not warranted the lifts/elevators a lot of others now present. It is strange as up till now, Clyde has been the junction for a number of lines.

I had set my mind on the fact that I would have to struggle up the stairs from the Carlingford train and down on another platform for the train to get me to Parramatta where I would have lunch before getting the train home, later on. It appears the staff had set the chair on the steps I was to descend to the platform for the Parramatta train without my noticing what they had done. I just went ahead and struggled down the stairs to the other platform. After I got down I looked up the top of those stairs to see the portable chairlift in place on the rail to bring me down.

I know I paid for the extra work getting up and down those accursed steps for days afterwards. But! I made it!

There is a video on Facebook of this trip for anyone interested, even if not friends of mine on Facebook I can give you a link to it.

This is Sianara if that is spelled right from Sankey to all my friends on Fansatory that are still here and to those who have left and may look in or have passed on such as Charley Lewis, Dean Kuch and especially my first friend on Fanstory; now with the Lord, Michael Cahill. Still here on sankey and Tootsie55 till Mid November. After that, Goodbye and God Bless. I will be watching you all from Pinny2 account. Fan me on there if you have not already so I get notified of your posts.

 




Recognized


Photos are Google Earth Sattelite pictures with artwork added of some of my walks I have done. Also a Strava view of the area around Randwick where I acquired my calf injury - BEFORE the big walk indicated. I have added a link to the records of my walks in Facebook as well. let me know if you have trouble accessing I can send the actual pictures of the walks if interested.

October Strava Records.

For anyone who is on Facebook and you don't have to be friends I can share the Links to Albums I have made of the tram movements - all still in Testing Mode till mid-December. We do have one tram service operating already between parts of the city. There is video of that too, if interested.
I am nearing the end of my time on paid accounts here in FS. I have set up a FREE account for those who want to keep in touch. I can't review from the new account but I can still read your stuff and let you know of errors and what I think if you wish.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sankey All rights reserved.
Sankey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.