Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 26, 2019 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sarah get sick

A chapter in the book Monica

Monica Chapter 11

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
A narcissistic young woman invades the lives of newly weds, Rob and Sarah. She is determined to have Rob for herself.

Ending of Chapter 10
"I can tell you with certainty that Miss Monica has no problem with her self esteem. She has an extremely high opinion of herself. I still have no idea why she asked me to lunch except to talk about herself. I think I was just an audience. It seems I was more nervous then I wanted to admit. My stomach is a mess now."

Sarah wasn't the only one who smiled when alone in her car. Monica was very pleased with how easy it was to poison Sarah. She wouldn't die, but she would be sick for the next few days. She now had to make sure Rob showed up to the dinner party even without Sarah.
*********************



"Do you think you have the flu?" Rob asked as Sarah threw up for the tenth time.

"I don't know. Maybe." Sarah crawled into bed and curled up in the fetal position.

"Well, if you don't stop throwing up, I'm taking you to the ER, You're going to get dehydrated."

"Okay," was all Sarah could manage. She fell into a fitful sleep as Rob sat on the bed beside her.

He got out his phone and text the number given on the invitation that Monica had given Sarah.


Sarah is sick. Won't be able to make it to the dinner party. Rob & Sarah.

Rob called his Lieutenant next.

"Hey, Martin, I won't be in but you can reach me on my cell if you need me. Sarah is sick so I want to stay home in case she needs to go to the ER."

"Okay, Boss. Sorry, she's still so sick. Let us know if you have to go to the ER."

Rob had no sooner hung up than his phone rang. It was Monica.

"Hi, Rob. This is Monica. I see you canceled for the dinner party. I'm so sorry that Sarah is not feeling well. Are you sure you can't just come for a little while? It will give you a chance to meet some of your neighbors and Anna is preparing a wonderful meal. We'd hate for you to miss it."

"I'm sorry, Monica, but Sarah is sick. I may need to take her to the ER. I hope you understand why I don't want to leave her. We can perhaps have dinner some time to make up for tomorrow night." Rob was appalled that Monica would want him to come to the dinner and leave Sarah home alone sick. No way was he doing that.

"Well, I'm just so sorry. Do tell Sarah I said to get well soon."

"I will, thank you."

Monica disconnected and threw her phone down. The poison was only supposed to make Sarah slightly sick, not send her to the ER. Obviously, she had gotten incorrect information. She'd have to deal with that soon. She couldn't have her source connecting Sarah getting sick with the poison she had purchased.

Now she was stuck entertaining a group of people she could care less about. Well, she'd just have to make the best of it.
**************

Rob sat beside Sarah in the triage room at the ER, She had continued to throw up and Rob had insisted they go to the ER. Sarah didn't argue. They determined she was dehydrated and put her on an IV saline drip. Blood was taken and tests run to see if it was the flu or food poisoning.

Sarah lay back against the pillow, looking pale and sweating. Rob's worry increased. She didn't look good at all, and he had a feeling this wasn't the flu.
**************

Monica slipped into the back door of the herb shop. Matthew Whiting sat behind his desktop computer updating his inventory. He didn't turn when Monica quietly walked up behind him. He could see her in his desk mirror that he used for just such occasions. He didn't like people coming up behind him. He smiled when he saw Monica. They had developed a close relationship since her first visit to the shop.

Monica touched the back of his neck.

"Hey, your fingers are wet." He wiped off the back of his neck with his palm.

"Sorry, sweetheart. I just had a coke, guess the condensation was still on my fingers. How are you?" 

Matthew pulled her close. "I'm great." He kissed her neck, working his way to her lips.

Monica returned the kiss and smiled. "I have a feeling you won't be feeling so great in a minute or two," she said sweetly.

Matthew gave her a puzzled look. "Why are you wearing gloves....?" He grabbed the edge of his desk as pain shot to the top of his head. "What did you do?" He just got the words out before he fell to the floor and went into convulsions.

Monica watched him until he went still. She stepped over the body and left the way she had come.




Monica-a spoiled narcissist obsessed with Rob
Rob Mitchell-Sheriff of Big Sky, Sarah's husband
Sarah Mitchell-Wife of Rob, ex-detective, now a bakery owner
Martin Robinson - Sheriff's Deputy
Nadine-Sarah's cousin and employee at the bakery
Sadie-Asst Baker, part-time employee
Lonnie McGovern-Murder victim
Matthew Whiting-Herbalist
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.