Romance Fiction posted September 22, 2019 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie and Logan discuss her parents.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 13 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
It's Sunday evening. McKenzie and Logan have known each other 5 days.


Ending of Previous Post:

"I'm not the old-fashioned female he's used to. I don't come from a normal family. My mom had emotional issues because of the abuse she suffered as a child. That's why I was pretty much raised by my dad."

"Why don't you try being honest with him and see where it gets you? I'm positive he'll be honest back. He's one of those guys who's honest to a fault."


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 13 PART 2

When Sheila and McKenzie returned to the dining room, the dishes had been taken care of and the men were watching a Cardinal's baseball game.

Logan patted the cushion on the couch beside him. "Have a seat. You okay?"

"I'm fine."

"Good. Molina's at bat."

Small talk continued throughout the game. When it ended, Logan stood and offered McKenzie his hand. "I guess we'd better be going. Ready?"

She accepted it, stood, thanked Simon and Sheila and promised they'd return, soon.

As they walked out the door, Sheila hugged McKenzie and whispered, "Talk to Logan. He'll understand. I know him."

The ride home was silent.

Once parked in front of her townhouse, McKenzie stared out the door window. "I owe you an apology. I'm sorry I embarrassed you in front of your friends."

"You didn't. I hope you don't feel embarrassed. I figured it was coming. I'm just glad it came out around good friends and not some place like the middle of church."

"What do you mean?"

"Nobody can keep stuff bottled up inside forever. It'll always make its way out in some form." Logan reached over and turned her face toward him. "Let's go inside and talk. I don't think you want the police detail and nosey neighbors wondering what's going on."

Inside Logan took care of the dogs and then walked to the couch. "Do you want me to sit beside you or over here?" He pointed to a chair. "Which would be easier for this talk?"

McKenzie forced a smile. "Neither. The easiest would be not to talk."

"It's completely up to you. I'm not going to force you. I just thought you needed to unload."

She dropped onto the couch. "I guess I owe you an explanation."

Logan turned his head as Arlo barked. "You don't owe me anything. I'll let the dogs in."

Arlo ran and jumped up next to McKenzie.

As she petted his head, Logan asked, "Should I stay or leave?"

McKenzie scooted Arlo over. "Please sit."

"You sure?" After she nodded, he sat. "There's no pressure. Whenever you're ready, I'm here. I've no place to be."

"Besides sleep."

Logan chuckled. "It won't be the first time I've lost a night's sleep. I'll be all right." He took her hand in his. "Will this help?"

A few moments passed before she began. "After hearing how wonderful Sheila's parents were and having met your parents, I realized I wasn't raised in a normal family. It hurt." She wiped an escaped tear. "I want a normal family." Silence. "I'm not crying."

"I know that. Just because your father's parents died when you were young and your mom's parents had a few issues doesn't mean you didn't have a normal family. All families have faults. I imagine your parents were very normal."

McKenzie swallowed hard. "Mom -- suffered from manic depression caused by her dad's physical and emotional abuse. Often she wasn't emotionally available to raise a young child." She felt Logan's arm go around her and she leaned into it. "That's why I followed Dad around. I was raised more like a son than a daughter. I learned to stay out of Mom's way."

"I'm sure she loved you."

"She did in her own way. I've learned you can't really love somebody else unless you learn to love yourself. Mom did love me. The best she could."

"Learning to repair cars, playing poker, and pool aren't bad things," teased Logan. "I'm sure they're an important skill set for P.I.'s."

"Just not for being a future wife."

Logan adjusted himself so their eyes met. He used his thumb to dry a tear. "Any man worthy of you would be proud to have you as his wife."

"You think?"

"I know it."

"Thank you."

He moved back onto the couch, replaced his arm around her, and waited until she cuddled into him.

Silence continued.

When Logan was sure McKenzie wasn't crying, he said, "Simon had a good question that I need to ask it. Is there any way your mom's dad could be behind the threats made to you?"

"No." When Logan started to speak, McKenzie said, "I'm positive. It's not up for discussion."

"Okay."


Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight and Sheila Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician. Sheila
is his wife
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.
Mitch Gardner St. Louis Police Department detective who has
partnered with McKenzie's dad.
Ivan Smart A bad guy
Peter and Nancy Nelson Logan's parents



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of couple holding hands. I almost skipped this post and posted next weeks. I'm glad I caught it in time. I did some major editing earlier today. I'm sure I missed somethings and made others worse. Thank you for your wonderful support.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.