General Fiction posted September 15, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a flash fiction.

Flight # 539.

by judester

The door slammed, echoing down the long hall.
Rob sat in the cell rubbing his hands over his jeans. The ink on his fingertips remained, reminding him of this nightmare he was in.

Fragments of the night before exploded in his aching head.

He remembered the farewell party that his girlfriend Sophie had organized.
He was leaving the next day for three months in Spain, working for his uncle on his vineyard.

At the thought of Sophie, his heart sunk.

She was crying last night, pulling on his shirt when he was leaving. She had grabbed for his keys, but he dangled them above her head, laughing at her worries.

Then a vision of the accident caused him to gasp.

Oh no, what had he done!?

When the police had shoved him into the police car, Rob had seen the crushed car as emergency workers tried to get the people out.

Now, Rob held his head in his hands as dismay swept over him.

He had heard the police talking as he sat waiting last night. There had been three people in the car and two were pronounced dead.

Absentmindedly, he reached into his pocket and sadly removed the useless airline ticket.
The irony was not lost on him as he I checked his watch, then the ticket.

Flight # 539 to Spain was just taking off, without him.



The Door Slammed writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with this sentence: The door slammed, echoing down the long hall.

Don't add to the sentence. The catch is this must be flash fiction. So the story should be between 100 and 1,000 words.


Thanks to dragifortuna for the artwork. Don't drink and drive folks.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.