Supernatural Fiction posted September 15, 2019 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE IMMORTAL

Blood Kiss

by scongrove


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Thank you for taking the time to read my chapter. It's still in the working stages, so if you catch mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy!
Previously . . .

After an age-old creature—buried deep in the ground—rises from years of peaceful slumber to feast on humans, it attacks Jena McCain—a young artist who has the ability to speak with the dead—and infects her with the Rougarou curse. As the virus spreads through her body, Jena must resist her newly found urges for human blood for one hundred and one days. If she succumbs to the blood lust, she will become the thing that has cursed her.  
  

Now that the creature is hunting humans, and infected an innocent young girl, God tasks Lailah—a battle angel gifted with the power of holy fire—with an important mission. She must take the Fury and Sebastian back to earth for the sole purpose of destroying this savage creature. 

Now, as Jena heals in the hospital, she reaches out to the only person left in the world she can trust. When Jena contacts Angie—her childhood best friend—she reveals to her the dreadful news of Todd and Sophie’s deaths. Leaving out most of the details, Jena decides to tell her friend about the creature and the curse when she arrives to the hospital.     
    

The next day, Angie arrives at the Bates Hospital to be by Jena’s side. As Jena tells her about the creature and the curse, Angie reveals to Jena a secret of her own. When she explains to Jena about the Breedline species, and that she too, was born with the genetics, Jena is astounded.

As the bond between the two friends become closer than ever before, Angie promises Jena she will do everything she can to help her. Left with no other chose, Angie decides to reach out to the Breedline Covenant for help.

Meanwhile, as Angie has Jena moved to the safety of the Breedline Covenant, the creature manages to seduce Jena, and tricks her into drinking her own blood. Now that the curse is set into motion, Jena is doomed to become what she fought so hard to resist . . . a bloodthirsty killer.


Continued . . .      
          

He watched with cunning eyes as the moon was just beginning to peek over the edge of the trees. Lying on the cushioned forest floor, his thoughts of Jena and the tantalizing pleasure they shared only moments ago, consumed him down to his core. She was so naïve, so foolish, so careless. There was no turning back now. He sealed her fate with a simple kiss. The blood kiss of eternal life. Finally, the curse was set into motion, and Jena was forever his.  

As he inhaled a deep breath, the scent of pine needles and distinctive green things invaded his senses. He closed his eyes, and for a second, he thought he heard voices. His lids flipped open and a sinister smile came over his face. He felt his skin crawling with a tingling sensation. Then the hunger in him instantaneously came to life, releasing the monster within. The transformation rapidly took over. His clothes ripped apart as his chest expanded and his limbs began to stretch and lengthen. Thick, black fur sprouted from his pores, spreading like wildfire. When he rose to his feet, he stripped the remaining of his shirt away, and brushed off the torn fragments of his pants. The transition had taken full possession of him, bringing with it the inevitable doom. Nothing in his path would survive.

He flexed his powerful thighs and perked his lupine ears to listen more carefully. The voices grew louder now, the chorus rising and falling as they moved closer to him.

Using his razor-sharp claws, he climbed a large oak with a long leap, and moved as fast as he could to the top. As he peered down from above, he caught a strong scent. Something flowery that mingled with the smell of a man’s cologne.

The pungent odor of humans quickly ignited his hunger. Every muscle in his body wanted to leap, to spring out and devour them instantly. Instead of killing them outright, he watched and listened to the couple below who spoke in low voices. They were completely oblivious of his presence as he waited for the right moment to attack, and end their worthless lives.

“This looks like a good spot,” Chad said, spreading a blanket over the ground. “There’s not a single person for several miles.”

He turned to look at the wide stretch of nothing but a vast of trees, plants, and a grassy meadow sprinkled with bright, colorful wildflowers. Although the darkness surrounded them, the star-filled sky lit up the woodland like a canopy of sparkling lights. The peaceful quiet in the urban forest of the Presidio National Park compared to the sounds of the city made him feel as though they had magically discovered their own private world.  
             
“I hope you brought something to cover up with,” said Debi as she began to undo the buttons on her blouse. “It’s a little chilly.”

“Don’t worry, babe.” He dropped his jeans to his ankles and batted his brows. “I’ve got something that’ll keep you warm.”    

Debi arched an eyebrow as she caught sight of his enormous erection hidden behind his tight-fitted briefs.

“I’m serious, Chad,” she smirked. “If you want me naked,” She paused with her fingers on the last button. “You better promise to keep me warm.”

Chad wasted no time stripping off his shirt and slipping out of his shoes. When he stepped out of his jeans and came forward, he looked at her seductively. “Oh, I promise.” Sincerity rang clear in his voice as he wrapped his arms around her and lightly squeezed. “Cross my heart and hope to die.” 
 
“Oh, you,” Debi said reproachfully, as she reached around and smacked him on the butt.

They both laughed, but then Debi’s face suddenly went rigid and the hair lifted at the back of her neck. As she quickly turned away, Chad asked, “What is it, baby?” 

She held up a hand to silence him. “Listen.” 

After a few moments of stillness, Chad shook his head. “I don’t hear anything.”

“I could have sworn I heard something rustling,” she said, her fearful eyes probing through the darkness.

“It’s nothing, honey,” he said. “It’s probably just a rabbit, or maybe a squirrel. Remember, we are miles from the hiking trails and it’s the middle of the night. I’m pretty positive we’re the only ones here.”

Debi didn’t respond right away. Her eyes continued to glance around wildly. Finally, she looked up at him. “I don’t know.” She released a deep breath. “I have this weird feeling that something is out there, somewhere . . . watching us.”

Chad shook his head again, amazed at how beautiful his fiancé looked, although she was stoned and paranoid. “Honey, it’s just your imagination. I told you not to smoke that joint before we left.”

She rolled her eyes. “Whatever,” she groaned. “It’s not the pot. I’m being serious, Chad. I think we should go.”

He blew out an aggravated sigh. “Jeez, you’ve got to be kidding me, Debi. You’re the one that dragged me all the way out here. Didn’t you say we should put some adventure in our love making?”

She drew back from him. “I know, I know. It seemed like a good idea at first, but now, I don’t know.” She shrugged her shoulders. “I guess I was wrong.” She noticed the disappointed expression on his face. “I’m sorry. It’s just . . . I’m spooked, that’s all.”

He took her hand. “Come on, baby. Let’s get out of here.”

“You’re not mad, are you?” she hesitantly asked.

Chad put his arm around her and gave her a squeeze. “No, I’m not mad, honey. I just want you to be happy. Hell, the last thing I want is for you to get bored of me before we tie the knot.”

She smiled a little. “I could never get bored of you, babe. You always make me feel wonderful.”

As they gathered their things, Chad caught sight of something that looked like pieces of clothing lying in the grass. He pointed toward a tree a few feet away. “What the hell is that?”

Debi looked in the direction he was pointing and spotted the bits of clothing scattered around a tree. “Are those someone’s clothes?” she asked.

Chad moved forward to get a closer look. “They look like they’ve been through a shredder. I wonder where they came from.”

“Okay, this is really creeping me out,” said Debi. “I think that’s our cue to get the hell out of here.”

He turned to face her and replied, “Yah, I think you’re right.”
        
Suddenly, the full moon emerged from behind the clouds, drawing Debi’s attention. Her mouth opened as the light shined down on them. “Oh my gosh, it’s so big.”

Chad chuckled. “You’re not the first one to tell me that.”

Debi put her hand on her hip and eyed him sternly. “I better be the last one too. And for your information, I was referring to the moon, smart-ass.”   
 
He frowned. “Ouch,” he said mockingly, placing his hand over his heart. “That hurt.”

She lightly snickered and pointed toward the sky. “Look at that. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

When Chad turned to look, he heard something—or he thought he did. It was a rustling sound, like something moving in the tree where they’d found the clothes. As he lifted his chin and looked up, his eyes rounded in sheer terror. What he saw threatened his sanity.

Positioned at the top, Chad saw two glowing orbs staring back at him. The head of the thing was hideous—like “Lon Chaney’s” Wolf Man.

The creature smiled down at him, its white canines flashing against its thick, black fur.      
  
Chad opened his mouth to warn Debi as the thing dropped from the tree and knocked him to the ground. In a savage frenzy, the creature slashed its claws mercilessly, ripping through flesh and bone.  

Debi screamed, but they were lost in the sounds of the creature’s own thundering roars, and Chad’s shrieks of pain.  

Her body seemed froze in place, watching helplessly as the unholy beast tore at Chad’s body and sank its teeth into his throat. At the sound of bones cracking, came a pool of blood and a dying gasp as Chad’s lips opened and closed. 
     
For one brief moment, she wavered between hysteria and total collapse. Debi stared at Chad’s body through a numb haze of detachment. Then she stumbled back, her mind struggling with what her eyes were telling her. The images of her fiancé ripped apart and eaten were too unbearable, the sounds driving her mad. She covered her ears and cried out, “Chad—”

Her pitiful cries alerted the creature, fueling its rage. With fury in its eyes, it twisted away from Chad’s body and faced her. The hideous beast had the features of a man and a wolf. Its matted fur was soaked in blood. Chad’s blood.

He watched her eyes go wide as she swiftly clamped a hand over mouth to muffle her screams.

Torn between fight-or-flight, she looked around, trying to decide what to do. If she was going to try to make a run for it, time was ticking. Tick-tock, tick-tock.

With a rush of adrenaline and a determination to escape, she quickly pulled herself together. As Debi spun around and took off at a dead run, the creature did not go after her. He stood in his tracks watching. He had patience for a chase tonight. For his amusement, he gave her a head start. The thrill of the hunt surged through him—that for one minute of her worthless life, he let her think she might actually get away.

As Debi ran through the dense growth of trees and underbrush, using the full moon and the starlit sky to guide her, fear began to rise in her and take hold. Was that thing following behind me? She feverishly thought. If so, she prayed she could outrun it. Maybe she would be able to make it to the car.

At first, her pace was steady. After a half hours run, her thighs and calves began to cramp as the ground became increasingly hilly. When she could run no further, she stopped to catch her breath and whirled around, preparing to meet her death. Surprisingly, nothing was pursuing her.

“Thank god,” she said, heaving a sigh of relief.   
  
While she trudged along, jumping at every sound, the savage memory of Chad’s death came to mind. She saw his dead eyes, as though they were staring at something far beyond, and his disfigured face that was once handsome. She shuttered at the images in her head. They would forever haunt her. He was the love of her life, and now he was gone, taken by something unnatural . . .  something derived of pure evil. No matter how much she tried, she could never forget the horror of his screams. The thought quickened her pace and kept her moving.

With heavy gasps, she struggled forward along the trail as fast as she could, not bothering to look back. It took another half hour of climbing before the hill began to level off. Every muscle was taut with fear and alertness. All around her, thick fog rose from the ground, clouding her visibility. Then finally, she caught sight of Chad’s Toyota Camry.  

She looked longingly in its direction, to the safety of the car and whispered a prayer, “Oh God, please let me make it.” 
       
Debi guessed it was only twenty feet away, but as she kept going, it looked no closer than when she first saw it. The silver Camry seemed to hang in the distance like a shiny mirage. Surely, it wasn’t too far, she thought to herself.

Suddenly, the sound of an unearthly howl froze her heart in her chest. It seemed to last forever, coming from behind. Debi tore through the darkness, shoving wildly to fend off the branches in her path. For a brief moment, her escape came to an unexpected halt when her blouse tangled around a thorny bush. In a desperate attempt to get free, she tugged at the trapped material and pulled it over her head. As Debi moved on without a shirt, a trail of goosebumps covered her exposed skin.  
               
Abruptly came a second howl. It rose to the treetops and ended in a guttural snarl. When she turned to look, cold chills raced down her spine. Of all the terrors she felt, the most terrifying one, as she stared up into that hellish face, was how she would die. Would the creature end her life quickly, or make her suffer?

Then the thing leapt into the air. As it landed on the ground with a loud thud, Debi stopped dead in her tracks. The monstrous, black-haired beast stared at her with glowing eyes. 

Oh god, I’m not going to make it, she painfully thought as she eyeballed the distance between her and the car. 

Frantically, she turned to run away. In the back of her, she could hear the creature’s savage pursuit, its heavy footsteps bounding after her, getting closer and closer.

She ran erratically, cutting sharp turns and weaving around trees, hoping to gain some distance. In her efforts to escape, she lost her footing on a broken branch and fell to the ground. Trembling with fear, she pushed herself up on her hands and knees. Forcing her eyes to look up, she came face to face with the wolfish fiend as it crouched before her. Its breath was warm against her skin and it smelled like rotting flesh. 

Debi screamed and tried to fight as the creature slowly brought its claw-like hand to her throat, but she was defenseless against his strength. At first, she struggled, choking violently, but the creature’s grip was mighty, and she could not move her head. Her chest was tightening, her heart and lungs about to explode. The world around her spun away as though she was a lonely passenger on an endless carousal. She was spinning . . . spinning until the night descended with dizzying speed.

As she slipped into a state of unconsciousness, the creature released his firm hold and eased her limp body to the ground.

“You will live yet another day,” his lips whispered next to her ear. “Your blood is a gift. A precious gift for my beloved.” And then he smiled. A cold, smug smile of satisfaction.  

To be continued . . .
      
 

 



Book of the Month contest entry


NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf form. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline only get their wolf if they are born with an identical twin. Although they live among humans, their species is secret.
In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing that can kill a Breedline.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins are so strong, they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When two Breedlines experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. They bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs their laws and oversees the species population.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.