General Fiction posted September 13, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Destructive rumors...

Village Beast

by Heather Knight


Nothing ever happens in Golrich. I'm sure it's the most boring place on Earth. Watching the pastor open the church door is a great source of entertainment for the pensioners that make up eighty per cent of the population.

That's why when a reddish brown cat walked along the high street and sat under the statue of Saint Mungo, everyone was excited.

A little boy approached him, but the animal hissed. That's how the first rumor started. The beast didn't like kids.

The gossip escalated and soon everyone in the village was saying the cat was the devil's apprentice.

While eating breakfast at the inn, I listened to the latest news on the poor animal.

I wondered what they'd think if I told them the cat was me. Shapeshifting in front of the old folks wasn't an option. It might give one of them a heart attack. Literally.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.