Sports Non-Fiction posted September 2, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A fun filled memorable day.

Game Day

by patcelaw





























It was the very first day of September 2019. The wake-up time for me was an early one at 4:30 and I was beginning to feel excited about what my day would hold. It was not just any ordinary day for me, but was the day I would be given the final birthday present for my 81st birthday, which was in June. Sometimes we have to wait for all our gifts to come about. Mine had to wait for the right time when the Los Angeles Dodgers would be in Phoenix to play the Arizona Diamondbacks.

There was one other date when the Dodgers would be here, but scheduling with other things had to postpone
it until this September date.

Since this was the day our family would weigh-in at Jenny Craig, and we wanted to have food at the game, we delayed our breakfast until after weighing in. We went to the weigh-in, and I had lost another 1.2 pounds bringing me to within 15 pounds of my set goal weight. So that was a big plus. When we returned to our home we had our breakfast of a Sunshine Sandwich, a serving of fruit and a stick of string cheese along with a bottle of water.

Before we left for the game, I got my black fanny pack and put my reading glasses i it. In the pack was nothing more. I told Larry, my son-in-law that I was not taking my purse to the game. He looked at me with a devilish twinkle in his eye saying, "well, how will you buy a hot dog at the game if you have no money with you?"

I replied, "even if I had my purse with me, I do not have any money in it." You see I had not asked of them to get me some money.

We left for the drive to the game, which took about thirty minutes driving time to the stadium. Arriving in the parking garage, we finally found a spot to park. We then walked to the elevators, that would take us to the place where we could walk across the cat walk to the arena. Before we got to the cat walk we had to be inspected by security, which is done for the safety of the crowd.

Once in the arena we followed the signs to our assigned place, which was a lovely place to sit as it was in the area where people with disabilities had to sit when they needed wheelchairs or walkers. Since there was no way for me to navigate the steps using my walker, it was a good spot.

Not long after we were seated, Larry said, "Mom, would you like your hot dog now?"

To which I replied, "yes please. Only put mustard and onions on the dog." He brought me the hot dog and a bottle of water, it was a good eat since that is something which is usually not on my diet. Yum-Yum!

Before the start of the game, Penny and I took a walk around the stadium which was about one-third of a mile. We stopped this place, where we took the photo here.

The Dodgers got off to a good start in the first inning by one of the players hitting a home run. Since Los Angeles is only about 250 miles from Phoenix, there were a large number of Dodger fans in attendance as attested to the fact that there were many people wearing Dodger blue. Since the Diamondbacks had won the previous three games in a four game series, we Dodger fans were encouraged that maybe the Dodgers would avoid a four game sweep by the D-Backs.

As the game progressed the Dodgers scored another run.

Before the start of the sixth inning, wanting to be sure I got my necessary walking in for the day, I went around the stadium another time and as I walked I could hear the crowd cheering but I could not see the scoreboard so I did not know what happened.

Returning to my seat I found that the Diamondbacks had scored three runs putting them ahead by one run.

At the seventh inning stretch the crowd sang God Bless America, Take Me Out To The Ball Game and the country song, I Have Friends In Low Places. As I've Got Friend In Low Places was playing, Penny and Larry got up and danced in the area behind our seats.

In the eighth inning the Dodgers scored another run tying the game at 3-3. The Diamondbacks did not score in the eighth inning, so to the ninth inning we were even at the 3-3 score. 

At this point I was getting very tired and knew extra inning games could go on for a great length of time, I asked if we could go home. So we returned home. As we did Penny was checking her phone, getting updates on the game. In the tenth inning, neither team scored.

So once again the score was still tied at 3-3, taking us to the eleventh inning. The Dodgers scored yet another run giving them a 4-3 lead. In the bottom of the eleventh, the Diamondbacks failed to score, giving the Dodgers a 4-3 win. They had well avoided the sweep of the series by the Backs, and the Dodger fans were most pleased, myself included.

So my special day was complete and had provided me with some good memories of a wonderful day, thanks in large part to Penny, Larry and my beloved Dodgers. Way To Go Dodgers!


-Patricia Lawrence
9-2-19

 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.