Humor Fiction posted August 30, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a dog story

Timmy

by Iza Deleanu


When I was six years old, I got a beautiful dog, black and white, I named him Timmy, and as they say, a dog is man’s best friend, so he was. We grew up together, we played and did naughty things together, and in other words, we were an inseparable duo. 
 

Timmy was a kind of burglar, and he liked to smuggle things from our neighbors and bring them to our house. In this aspect, Timmy behaved more like a cat, because he wanted to bring home trophies and share them with me and Pisa my cat. I knew about this ritual from my indoor cat Pisa, who always left her plastic mouse in my shoes, so I could never say that I was not taken care of or not fed.
Timmy’s most prized possession was his food. He loved to hide food everywhere in the house, and if you wanted to find his hiding spots, you could always follow the smell. Timmy had such a French acquired taste.
 
 
One day my mom got so fed up that she asked me to choose between her or the dog. With tears in my eyes, pleaded her:

“Timmy, he is my brother, my true friend. Remember he is a rescue and had lots of brothers and sisters when he was little… that is why he hides food all the time. If you think about it, his actions make sense; he is afraid that we are going to abandon him, and that is why this “collector” mentality. He wants to play it safe, and have enough food so that he can survive by himself. Do you remember when we left that day on camping, and we locked him inside the house? If he has not stored food, he will be crazy of hunger. Please give him another chance. I promise I will clean after him. Mom, please Timmy is my brother, which makes him your child too, right? You cannot abandon your sweet, innocent child, can you?“

Mom finally gave in and said:” Fine, he can stay as long as you are going to clean his mess. I don’t want to smell any moldy food in the house, or see any nourishment that is going to attract mice. The last thing we need here, it's a colony of mice and their babies running all over the house. You know how scared I am of those creatures.”

I tried to play it cool:” Mom, don’t worry about mice, we have our little Miss Pisa to take care of this."

Mom scolded me saying, “Pisa it’s an indoor cat. She likes to be fed cat food, and the mice are an alien species to her. She will not know what to do with them even if they will play in front of her whiskers. So nice try, but you have to take care of Timmy’s hoarder disorder.”
 
“OK mom. I will do anything for my best friend, you need not worry.”

Me and Timmy, we went back to our old tricks: running on the street, playing at the Water Park, chasing squirrels and birds. All the usual fun things that were making the days of my childhood very happy and carefree.

So the days were flying by, and I had to go to school. Timmy always accompanied me and waited for me to finish. We were lucky that the school was one corner down from our beautiful house that I was sharing with my Timmy, my mom, and my cat. The days of school passed without an incident. Tommy was a good boy and was always going back home during my classes and was coming right on time to pick me up. Snow or rain, cold or hot, he was always there happy to see me and hear all the exciting things I learned in school.

 I owe Tommy a happy childhood and a pleasant primary school. Nobody dared to bully me because of my faithful friend. Kids were afraid of him, so they were leaving me to my own devices. I could thank Cujo, Stephen King’s dog, for the respect that Timmy brought into my life, by keeping the nasty kids away from me. How many kids’ nowadays can say that they are bully-free in their early days of schooling?

If my mom had known, she would have treated Timmy as gold. If I am now, trauma-free is because of Timmy. My dog was also the best friend of my cat. Since they were both rescues, they always have been fond of each other. As babies, they used to sleep together, and if 8 pm was approaching and Timmy wasn't around, Pisa would cry and searching for him in the entire house. Once she spotted him, she would push that ragged black and white doll of dog to their sleeping area.
 She would force him to lie down so she can cuddle and sleep. Their friendship was extraordinary. He always was saving some food for her. I always thought that they are brilliant because they communicated at an unusual level that I couldn't comprehend. And they always knew how the other was doing. I felt so fortunate that they let me part of their conspiracy, friends forever!

Now looking back in time, I perfectly understood why Timmy was so special. One day, one of mom's friends, who was a vet, came to visit us. Pisa and Timmy were chasing each other in the living room. My mom's friends exclaimed: "Clara, I had no clue you have two cats. They are so big."

Mom amused, stopped Timmy, pick him up and pushed the  dog towards our guest:" No, Peter, please meet my son's burglar dog, Timmy. He likes to smuggle things from our neighbors and bring them home. I become the warehouse of the street. See that room contains all the stuff he stole over the years. Every time something goes missing in their houses, my neighbors are coming and checking my collection. Ah, and by the way, he loves to steal food, so watch it."

Peter started laughing and took Timmy in his arms and told mom;" Clara, this bandit is not a dog; he is a freaking raccoon. Good thing that is tamed. He is a fine specimen and please don't feel bad he really looks like a dog, a very cute puppy indeed."

Mom gasped and said:" No way! Why have I never suspected that this is not a dog? Now that you said that, you are right, he does look like a raccoon. What should we do now?"

"Well, since you have it since Tom was six, you can keep it. He is tame and the most loyal creature that you can hope for. The only thing you can do is let him be the dog, there is no harm in it, and besides that, he is so used of being one.I don't know where did you got him from, but I would like one as well for my Freddie."

Mom starts laughing like crazy: ”Oh, my dear Peter, I got him from the Animal Shelter down the street. I got him and Pisa on the same day. They really looked like they needed to be rescued. I think I did the best thing in my life for taking these two buggers in. Tom has never been so happy… You know, after Daniel passed away, the kid needed something to focus on. These two had changed our lives forever. As they say, God has a mysterious way of mending peoples’ broken hearts. You know, I think that they brought joy and luck back in our house. I got a better job, and I was able to secure a brighter future for Tom."
 
That evening mom called me in her room and broke the news that Timmy is not a dog but a bloody raccoon. I told her that for me, Timmy is my dog, and nothing changes because I love him no matter what other people are thinking.

I told mom: "My Timmy and my sweet, funny Pisa are my real buddies, and nobody can take them away from me. We are three musketeers, mommy, please let Timmy stay."

Mom took me in her arms and amused said: "Silly boy, I am not taking your friend away. He is part of the family now, and I don't care if he is a raccoon or wolf; he is my baby too. Tommy, can I be the fourth musketeer?"


Happy I jumped from the bed: "Mommy, you are the best, and of course, you are the Boss, the fourth musketeer it is!"

How many of you can say that they had the best childhood and also had a raccoon as a puppy? I think I can get in the Guinness book with this amazing friend. 

Now looking back I think that not always a dog is the man's best friend. In my case, a raccoon fills that space now and forever.
 
 
 
 
 

 



Alternate Facts contest entry

Recognized


Your fact / belief is: dog is man's best friend which is not true. The picture is from google and represents a Raccoon dog and belongs to Tim Ellis.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Iza Deleanu All rights reserved.
Iza Deleanu has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.