Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 30, 2019 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Monica plans a party

A chapter in the book Monica

Monica Chapter 9

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
A narcissistic young woman invades the lives of newly weds, Rob and Sarah. She is determined to have Rob for herself.
Ending of Chapter 8 - Monica chewed slowly, her mind on Rob Mitchell and how she could manage to spend time with him. Maybe a neighborhood party. She hated the thought of having so many of the clodhoppers that lived around her in her home, but it was a sacrifice she was going to have to make. Perhaps a smaller dinner party would be better. How else would Rob find out how special she was. When he saw her beautiful home and what an excellent hostess she was, he'd be impressed.

She would work up a menu with Anna and get the invitations out.

Monica smiled at her plan. Rob would be so wowed by her. Poor Sarah, she paled in comparison. What did he see in her? She was such a little nothing. I have to think on what to do to get dear little Sarah out of the way. 
****************


Three people called the Sheriff Station to say they had seen someone leaving the park at around 9:30 Monday night. The person appeared to be a woman, dressed in jogging clothes. They couldn't see her face. A hoodie pulled up coering it. They didn't recognize anything about her. She carried a tote bag that had the local supermarket's logo.

The desk sergeant took the messages into Rob. Martin sat across from him as they went over several cases they were working on.

"Got another call about the McGovern murder, Boss. The callers all said they saw someone walking toward the Green Bluffs housing complex." The sergeant laid the form he'd filled out on Rob's desk.

"Thank you, Sergeant. Three calls and all say they think it was a woman. Do you think a woman could do that kind of damage?"

"Lonnie wasn't a big man, so I'd say it's possible," Martin said.

"The witnesses say the woman wasn't all that big, thin, but tall. She could have distracted him or maybe surprised him from behind."

"Don't you live in the Green Bluff complex?" asked Martin.

"Yes, I do. I can't say I know my neighbors too well yet. Most of the houses were empty when I moved in, some still are. Maybe we need to send some of the guys over to look through the dumpsters and trash. See if we find the tote. Could have the murder weapon in it, and Lonnie's missing clothes."

"I'll get on it." Martin pushed himself up and left the office.

Rob sat back and let his mind go over all the people in his neighborhood who fit the description of the woman. Clara Donaldson for one. She was tall, thin and in good shape. She looked like she could take on Lonnie without much problem. But why? Could there have been a dispute over something to do with the house? He'd check into it.

Rob concidered a few more women who fit the description and added them to the list. He turned to his computer and started doing background checks.

******

Sarah sat in her office at the bakery, going over accounts. They were doing well. Better than she had hoped. They were the only bakery in town, but so many of the women in Big Sky were wonderful bakers. Wives were her biggest competition. Her biggest block of customers seemed to be men on their way to work. She had no doubt their wives had no idea they were stopping to get coffee and a sweet roll.

Sarah heard the bell over the door ring, signaling a customer had come into the shop. After a moment there was a knock on her door.

"Come in."

Nadine opened the door. "Hey Sarah, there's a woman out here who wants to talk to you."

"Okay, I'll be right there." Sarah shut down her laptop and went into the bakery.

Monica Landers stood gazing into the display cases.

"You wanted to speak to me?"

"Oh, my. A person could gain twenty pounds just looking at all these fattening things. Hi, I'm Monica Landers." Monica held out a hand.

Sarah took it. "It's nice to meet you, Monica. I've seen you a few times in the neighborhood. At least driving by in your Jaguar. It's a beautiful car."

"A birthday gift from daddy." Monica handed Sarah an envelope. "I'm having a little get together at my place. A way to get to know the neighbors. I'd love for you and Rob to come."

"Well, that sounds very nice. I'm sure we'd love to."

"My email address is on the invitation. You can email me your acceptance or regrets. That way my chef can keep track of how many to prepare for. Maybe sometime soon we can have lunch together and get to know one another. Maybe next week sometime?"

"That sounds nice."

"Okay then. Goodbye for now." Monica turned and left the shop as quickly as she had come.

Sarah watched her go and a chill went down her spine. There was something about Monica. Something familiar and frightening. She appeared friendly, but her smile never reached her eyes. They held a hint of malice. It was as if she secretly hated Sarah.

"Well, you must be one of the elite. She doesn't talk to just anyone." Nadine came over and stood beside Sarah. They watched as Monica got in her Jag Coupe and sped away.

Sarah shook her head. "She's going to kill someone. What do you mean, I'm one of the elite?"

"There's been some talk about her. She is very snooty, ignores most of her neighbors. She talks to the Donaldsons and the Myers. They are in the right income bracket, I guess. It will be interesting to see who she invites to this little get together she's having."

"I wonder why Rob and I are invited. Maybe she heard about my trust fund money."

"I think it's more like your husband is the Sheriff. It's always good to be friends with the your local Sheriff."

"I don't know. There's something about her. Her smile never reaches her eyes. I get a strange feeling she hates me. I didn't want her to have my personal cell number, but she didn't ask for it. Why does she want to have lunch with me?"

"I have no doubt she hates me. She treated me like the hired help, which I am, but she was very cold and rude." Nadine crossed her arms across her chest.  "I agree she's a creepy one. I don't think you should have lunch with her."

"I'm curious now." Sarah fanned herself with the dinner invitation. "Once a cop always a cop you know. I'll see what kind of vibs I get. Try to find out what's really going on."

"Just be careful. You're not a cop anymore, you make donuts now."




Monica-a spoiled narcissist obsessed with Rob
Rob Mitchell-Sheriff of Big Sky, Sarah's husband
Sarah Mitchell-Wife of Rob, ex-detective, now a bakery owner
Martin Robinson - Sheriff's Deputy
Nadine-Sarah's cousin and employee at the bakery
Sadie-Asst Baker, part-time employee
Lonnie McGovern-Murder victim
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.