General Fiction posted August 22, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
This is a homeless man who was a decorated soldier.

The Invisible Man

by PteGIJane


On my way to the theatre, I noticed a disheveled young man begging on the street corner. His dirty, tattered clothing revealed the telltale signs of someone living on the street. His youthful face was permanently etched with lines from hard living. When I looked into his eyes, it was absolutely heart-wrenching to me. It is often stated that a person's eyes are a window to their soul. I saw fear, sadness, hopelessness and despair in his eyes. My feelings of empathy compelled me to stop and investigate further. While I knelt to his level, I noticed the reflection of military dog tags. I immediately realized that this man was a decorated war veteran, who was having great difficulty coping after experiencing the horrors of war. This scenario made me realize that every homeless person has a back story. When we omit a person's humanity, we make them feel invisible.








Flash Non-Fiction writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a flash non-fiction story that uses 150 words. That is the challenge of this contest. Write a story (on any topic) using exactly 150 words. The title does not count towards the word count. Online word processor is an estimate only. We recommend the use of a computer word processor to count the words. Enter for your chance at the winner take all prize.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. PteGIJane All rights reserved.
PteGIJane has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.