General Fiction posted August 21, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A garden story

Sudden Love

by Heather Knight


I like the little garden because it's full of oaks. Even though it belongs to some weird humans, they don't usually bother me.

When autumn comes, the ground is covered in acorns. And leaves... These people should learn to use a rake, but it's none of my business so I don't say anything. I just grab the acorns and hide them in my tree trunk.

Anyway, I was there one morning, running about, looking for food for my winter stash, when I saw something yellow out of the corner of my eye.

I turned around to get a better look and found myself face to face with a huge flower. It was as tall as me and Mum always said I was a big boy.

As I can't help being curious, I moved closer and smelled the sunny soft petals. The scent was intoxicating. Could it be a magic flower? I found myself falling in love on the spot. I rubbed my face against hers and she smiled at me.

Proves the saying 'never say never' is right. I always thought I'd be a bachelor for life. Some lady squirrels have tried to persuade me to settle down, but I have always refused. I like being my own person.

But now I can't get enough of my new love.

This winter the garden will be doubly dirty. Leaves and acorns all over. I can't seem to be bothered to get to work.

Fortunately, the crazy lady leaves food out for me on her porch.



Recognized


This story was inspired by the gorgeous Nat Geo photo. Look out for Debra White's take on the same picture.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.