General Fiction posted August 20, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The other side of the fence.

Soaking Up The Sunshine

by Debra White

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear next door's sunflower was gawking at me!
Sure, they're meant to grow tall, but this one looks like it's breaking it's neck to watch me sunbathe!

Derek's bought us some lovely new deckchairs. They're the stripy ones that tip back almost horizontal. Perfect for sunbathing they are. Derek says they remind him of our holidays.

If I lay back, close my eyes and imagine my hardest, it almost feels like I'm on the beach at Portbail.

It's our haven - clean, golden sand, clear, blue sea and beautiful, pure air. You can hear yourself think, it's that peaceful!

When the doc's give me the all clear, Derek and me are going to fly back out to Portbail beach to celebrate. Until then, I'll make do with soaking up the rays in the garden. Even if it does feel like I'm being watched!



Recognized


This story was inspired by and in response to Maria Jose Garcia's story 'Nosey Parker'.

My story is told from the other side of the fence. I hope you enjoy it :)

Photograph of Portbail beach - (Normandy, France)

Club entry for the "Beloved Places" event in "Flash Fiction and Short Shorts".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Debra White All rights reserved.
Debra White has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.