General Fiction posted August 19, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a fable

cry wolf

by judester


"911, what's your emergency?"

"Help me please, there is a man with a gun, he's outside my window!"

The operator sighed loudly.
Every week this girl called with the same "emergency."

"Tommy, can you take this one? Maple drive, same girl."

The EMS driver rolled his eyes and waved himself out the door.

When he arrived, she was crying, as usual, as she explained her regular trauma. Her neighbour used to be there consoling her in the early days, but no longer.

This girl seemed to love the attention and sympathy.

Tommy would walk around the outside of the house and never find clues of anyone there.

Seems safe now, he would always say, as he got back into his truck.

A few days later, the frantic voice once again tells the operator that there is an intruder with a gun.

Almost lunch time, Tommy thought. Maybe I will swing by that new bar~b~que joint on my way there.

"Got it," he called over his shoulder.

Two hours later, he pulled up to the familiar house. He checked his glove box for antacid pills then slammed the little door shut when he remembered that he had finished the bottle.

He belched loudly and rubbed his bloated belly with a groan as he walked up to the front door. Tommy checked his reflection for any sauce on his moustache in the glass door.

He ducked involuntarily when he heard the piercing scream and two quick gun shots.

And the moral of the story is, never eat at new bar~b~que joints without your antacid medicine.





Write A Modern Fable writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short fable-like story where the last sentence starts with: "And the moral of the story is". This can be on any subject, true or fictional, and can be in any voice, as long as the moral is stated in the last line. A new twist on an old fable is also allowed. Be creative and have fun! Maximum word count: 300


Thanks to meg119 for the artwork
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by meg119 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.