Commentary and Philosophy Script posted August 18, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
International Pet Health Certificates

Couch Potatoes #4: Certificates

by Brett Matthew West

TUESDAY: MORNING: STUDIO:

FADE IN:

Zack Bryan: All pets traveling outside of the United States must have an international pet health certificate. A pet export endorsement from the USDA may also be required. I'm Zack Bryan, and this is Couch Potatoes. My special guest today is here to provide all the ins and outs of these requirements. So, make welcome if you will Abby Alfond.

Abby Alfond: Thanks for having me today, Zack. Yes, it's true all pets traveling to foreign countries must have an international pet health certificate, and these may, in some instances, require a length of time to obtain depending on which country the pet will be traveling to.

Zack Bryan: Can you explain the process, Abby?

Abby Alfond: I'll be happy to, Zack. First, pet owners need to make an appointment with USDA-accredited veterinarians who will examine the pet. The vet will verify the required microchip in the pet and log that number on the certificate paperwork. Finally, the vet will sign the completed documents and forward the documents to the USDA for endorsement. That's really all there is to the process, Zack. But, keep in mind, this paperwork can be complicated to complete.

Zack Bryan: When should the pet be microchipped?

Abby Alfond: When required by the destination country they will travel to, the pet must always be microchipped before being given a rabies vaccination. If, for some reason a rabies re-vaccination is required, the pet's travel will be delayed.

Zack Bryan: How long are international pet health certificates valid for, Abby?

Abby Alfond: Generally-speaking, they are good for 10 days, although that can be less.

Zack Bryan: How long before the pet travels should an international pet health certificate be acquired? This isn't something that can be obtained overnight, correct?

Abby Alfond: Pet parents should plan ahead when they obtain a certificate for their fur-babies and allow about 30 days for the process to be completed. Don't forget, Zack, while this is not a hard certificate to obtain, there are veterinary visits and paperwork processing required. In addition, some countries also require an additional vet visit shortly before the pet travels.

Zack Bryan: Can you wrap all this up in a nutshell for our audience, Abby?

Abby Alfond: Sure, Zack. The three basic steps that must be followed in order are: micro-chipping the pet, followed by obtaining a certified current rabies vaccination, and at least 21 days after the pet receives their most recent rabies vaccination, booking an appointment with a USDA-accredited vet who will issue the international pet health certificate. Then, the pet will be all set to go.

Zack Bryan: Don't some countries require additional documentation for pet travel?

Abby Alfond: In the case where a pet has a current 3-year rabies vaccination, which is more than one year old, England and the European Union, require this additional paperwork.

Zack Bryan: What is this additional paperwork that England requires, Abby?

Abby Alfond: A UK health certificate, an APHIS-endorsed, embossed, and sealed UK health certificate, and a tapeworm treatment that the dog receives one to five days prior to traveling to the UK.

Zack Bryan: For those in our listening audience who do not know what APHIS is, they are the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service of the USDA. Abby, aren't there also certain breeds of dogs banned from entering England?

Abby Alfond: There are four specific breeds banned, Zack. These are Pit Bulls, Japanese Tosa or Japanese Mastiffs, Dogo Argentinos, and Fila Brasileiro or Brazilian Mastiffs. In addition, your dog may be banned from entering England if they resemble a banned breed.

Zack Bryan: There you have it. Now, it's time to go enjoy your trip abroad. And, with the proper international pet health certificate in hand, your four-legged partner can travel with you. I'm Zack Bryan, and this is Couch Potatoes, your one-source show for everything dog.




A melancholy in miniature, by dragifortuna, selected to complement my script.

So, thanks dragifortuna, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my script.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.