Essay Non-Fiction posted August 2, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Soft Refection on Life

Poems and Prayers and Promises

by Marisa3

I recently came across an old John Denver CD, yes an actual CD, and I popped it into my mini boom box for a listen. One track in particular stood out for me, a song John wrote called "Poems and Prayers and Promises". He seemed to be reflecting upon his life with an appreciation for where it had taken him. The song is wistful and filled with thoughts of the past and a brief moment of reflection on his own mortality.

"I've been lately thinking about my life's time
All the things I've done and how it's been
And I can't help believing in my own mind
I know I'm gonna hate to see it end"

This verse struck a chord with me given where I am in life. I have witnessed circles closing, most recently my brother's passing, and felt a profound sense of loss. However, I also have a deep sense of appreciation for all the good fortune life has brought me and for the collection of warm memories along the way. No life is without its bumps and bruises, but the marvelous thing about memory is, with the passage of time, the sting of heartache and the pain of loss tend to give way to the good and sweet memories of better days; of all the good things we love about those we lost and for life in general. I admit when I think about the fact that the larger part of my life has been lived and that I am now closer to the exit door, I too know I'm going to hate to see it end.

"I have to say it now it's been a good life all in all
It's really fine to have a chance to hang around ...."

"Lie there by the fire and watch the evening tire ....
And talk of poems and prayers and promises and things that
we believe in How sweet it is to love someone how right it is to care
How long it's been since yesterday what about tomorrow
And what about our dreams and all the memories we share"

This song evokes all the good and gentle moments in life and a sense of gratitude for being allowed just to hang around a bit longer. If nothing else, growing older does bring with it a more precious awareness for the years one has accumulated and, for me anyway, a need to make the rest of what's left count.

"The days they pass so quickly now the nights are seldom long
Time around me whispers when it's cold
The changes somehow frighten me still I have to smile
It turns me on to think of growing old
For though the life's been good to me there's still so much to do
So many things my mind has never known ...."

Even at this stage of my life, there is still so much I want to know and do. I believe that learning never stops and it is even more imperative as we grow older. We all must take our leave at some point, but while we are here, we can still make the most of the time we are given.

"The secret of genius is to carry the spirit of the child into old age, which means never losing your enthusiasm." Aldous Huxley





This is the second piece about age or more specifically old age, I have written recently. Part of my focusing on this topic has to do with the loss of the last member of my immediate family, my brother. He was more than just alive, he was a force of nature and it is hard to believe he is gone. I am the sole member of our family unit left and it has provoked much contemplation on my part. I, of course, have a family of my own, children and grandchildren, and they bring me great joy. But from time-to-time, there are certain passages in life that give one pause to take stock of it all. I have no complaints and I am extremely grateful for the life I have had and still have.

Life is very much like nature, simultaneously beautiful and precarious; sturdy and fragile. The contrasts and contradictions never cease to amaze me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Marisa3 All rights reserved.
Marisa3 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.