General Fiction posted July 31, 2019 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Monica takes extreme measures to keep William silent

A chapter in the book Monica

Monica Chapter 2

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
A narcissistic young woman invades the lives of newly weds, Rob and Sarah. She is determined to have Rob for herself.
From Chaper 1 - William moved to Bozeman and went to work for a firm run by a good friend of his father's. He talked with Debora at least once a week and face-timed with his daughter every day. He was slowing making progress with his wife and she agreed to spend the next weekend with him. He was thrilled and relieved. He knew that she still loved him and they were close to reconciling. 

Monica got into her car about thirty minutes later, but just drove to the Mall and William realized it was going to be an all-day event to keep track of her and follow her home.

He was sickened to think she was living so close. If he talked Debora into moving here, would they run into her? Would she ever be out of his life?

*****************

The sun had been down for hours before Monica finally finished her shopping spree and started her trip home.

William had been ready to give up, but he couldn't. He had to know where she lived. He didn't know what he was going to do when he found out. What could he do? But somehow it would make him feel better.

William assumed she lived in the city but when she took the exit for Big Sky, he realized she didn't live in Bozeman. He couldn't imagine her living in a town like Big Sky. It was so small and offered none of the things Monica craved in her life. What was going on? Maybe she was visiting someone, but it was late for that.

After about thirty minutes of driving, Monica pulled her car to the side of the road. William drove past her wondering what she was up to. Maybe something was wrong with her car. He'd like to just leave her stranded, cell service along this route was spotty, but his upbringing wouldn't allow him to do that. He pulled over and stopped. Getting out, he stood by the driver side door.

Monica leaned against the bumper of her car. She'd had plenty of time to formulate a plan. "Are you following me, William? You're not very good at it. I've known you were behind me since I left the cafe. What do you plan on doing?"

The roadway was pitch black, no lights and almost no traffic at this time of night. He could kill her and no one would see him. Who was he kidding? He'd never do it, he wasn't cut out to be a murderer.

"I was just curious as to where you're living. I'd heard you'd left town shortly after I did. When I saw you at Perry's Cafe, I thought you were stalking me."

"Don't flatter yourself. I wouldn't waste my time."

He saw the flash of her white teeth in the darkness and knew she was laughing at him.

"What are you doing here, Monica? Did you find another victim? Someone else to ruin? I can't see any other reason for your living in Big Sky."

The clouds parted and the moon illuminated Monica in the darkness. The look on her face told him he hit a nerve. "You are here because of someone aren't you? Who is the poor slob? Whose life do you plan to destroy this time?" William's hands balled into fists at his side. "I won't let you ruin someone else, Monica. Even if I have to hire a team of private detectives to follow your every move."

Monica took out the gun she'd been hiding behind her back and pointed it at William. Her father had bought it for her two years ago and made her take lessons to learn to use it. He knew as many people as his daughter tended to enrage, she might need it one day.

"Monica don't be stupid..." He saw the muzzle flash. The bullet hit his heart within a millisecond of leaving the barrel. He collapsed on the roadside. His unseeing eyes stared up at the star-filled night sky, its beauty wasted on him now.

Monica threw the gun on the car seat. She grabbed William by his feet and dragged him into the bushes. He was heavy, which she hadn't accounted for, so it took her almost ten minutes to drag him far enough off the highway to be completely hidden. Her plan had been to put him behind the wheel of his car, start it and let it run into a tree or rock formation. She realized now she'd never be able to get him in his car.

She worried about her car being seen by the occasional passing vehicle. It wasn't one you'd forget. There was a small grouping of trees just off the road. She decided to chance driving the coupe into the grove, fearing a flat or it getting stuck, but it had to be done.

Starting William's car, she drove it over the shoulder into the empty field that bordered the highway. Pointing it at a tree about a hundred yards from the road, she got out while it was still running. There was a downward slope and she watched as the car accelerated, narrowly missing her foot and smashed into a tree.

She then went back to where William's body lay in the bushes and began the long process of dragging him to his car. Doing this in four-inch heels became impossible and she had to remove them. She was grateful for the slope that made the pulling and tugging a bit easier.

It took her almost an hour to drag the body to where the car had crashed. She was planning on setting it on fire, but wished she could get the bullet out so it would be thought just an accident. Digging her fingers into William's still chest, she gagged as her fingers probed the hole. She felt nothing.

Pulling the body into a sitting position she leaned it against the open driver's side door. The body fell forward against her and she saw blood on his back and a hole in his jacket. The bullet had gone all the way through. She pushed the body back, hoping it looked natural.

Wiping her hands on her pants, Monica retrieved her shoes on the way back to her car. She always carried a five-gallon gas can in her trunk since moving to Big Sky, afraid of running out of gas on the barren highway.

The gas poured out over William and the car like a toxic rain. Trailing the gas out so she could be away from the car when the fire started, she used the lighter kept for the occasional cigarette to set fire to the gas trail. Monica watched, mesmerized by the flame licking up the gas trail and igniting the pool around the car. William's body was the first to be consumed, the interior of the car was next.

Monica ran to her car, knowing she would leave blood and gasoline on the inside of her beautiful new Jaguar. She'd be home in fifteen minutes and would wash out the car and burn her clothes. Throwing the gas can in the trunk, she got behind the wheel, praying it wouldn't get stuck.

She didn't turn on her lights and used the glow cast by the fire to show the way. The coup had plenty of horsepower and made it out of the grove easily. Making sure no cars were coming, she reentered the highway. Turning on her lights, she accelerated as she sped from the scene of her crime.

Stupid William! Look what he made her do. It was his fault. She couldn't allow him to ruin her chances with Rob. Beautiful Rob who would be home tomorrow from his honeymoon. She had such plans.




I don't doubt there are many punctuation errors as well as others. I did so much rewriting here and didn't run it thru my Grammarly program. You guys will have be my grammar program today and pretty much every time. Sorry. =}

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.