Humor Non-Fiction posted July 27, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A fun true story of a day at the library with granddaughter

Wednesday, Library Day

by Maureen Sky


It is summer here in New England and this is a typical warm and sunny day. I am a sixty-six-year-old grandmother to a six-year-old girl, Kennedy, and today is "library day." Story time begins at 10:15 a.m. with activities to follow. Kennedy slept at my house last night as I am caring for her for the week because her mother is away due to scheduled training with her job.

Kennedy is a hard one to get to bed at night as she tends to want to stretch her playtime out and not have to deal with the idea that she needs to settle in at a decent hour and get her sleep. Needless to say, she slept a bit later in the morning cutting into our time to get up and get ready to be at the library on time. The part where I have to actually run a brush through her long snarly hair is a nightmare and would probably win one of those "You're on Candid Camera" contests if one was to be taping us. With a bit more spritz of the liquid hair conditioner, I grudgingly continue on with the daunting task with a little nylon tie for a ponytail wrapped around the neck of the brush for a quick launch onto the wad of hair I was suddenly able to grasp and maneuver into something that somewhat mimics a ponytail. "Loverly, you are good to go!"

My husband, Eddie, also known to Kennedy as "Papa Sky", has so diligently checked all the tires on my car making sure I have enough tire pressure and washer fluid, etc. He escorts us out of the house helping me get her into her toddler car seat. Kennedy struggles with the seatbelt clasp, but soon we hear the click and Kennedy gives her thumbs up and lets us know, we are good to go! Papa Sky is such a gem and we love and appreciate him very much!

It's hot and humid and I walk with a cane due to arthritis in my hips and legs. Storytime activity is upstairs in the old library, the same library her mother and her mother's brother went to as a child. Up the windy stairs and through the big heavy doors we go! The large and somewhat unattractive room upstairs holds glass showcases of old artifacts and very old taxidermy wildlife lurking about here and there. The rooms' atmosphere could allow for some creepiness to seek into your bones if not for the presence of the small anxious bodies alive with excited energy and possibly due to one too many sugary cool pops the night before. Kennedy who can be very outspoken and opinionated for her age, decides it is time to get shy and has a bit of trepidation in picking out a place to sit on the floor amongst the other children already in their selected spots ready for the storyteller to begin the story. Clinging to my sweaty size sixteen Capris' and offering no help to me with my cane, two heavy book bags while navigating my arthritic body along with my hot coffee commuter mug with the utmost caution as this is my first morning cup of coffee and "nobody messes with Nanny's morning cup of coffee", the storyteller begins to read the storybook to her audience. After a few shy moments, Kennedy decides she will brave it and quickly maneuvers her little body down the center isle of yellow plastic chairs and takes her place on the floor on one of those black tall cushiony type floor chairs. Soon, Kennedy is smiling and engaging in the singing and movement directed by the storyteller. Approximately sixteen or so little bodies all enjoying the story of the seagull who lives near the ocean. The idea being that after the story, they will all be moving over to the craft tables to create and design their own little seagull out of paper plates, construction paper legs and beaks, colorful little bird feathers, crayons, glue sticks, tape, scissors, along with Elmer's Glue. Refreshments served, (goldfish cheesy crackers and fruit punch), the storyteller hands out the necessary crafty items to each child so they can create their masterpieces.

Kennedy begins with grabbing some colorful feathers from the little bowl that was placed on the table where she was sitting. Glue stick working its wonder, an adorable and very colorful seagull was created a short time later, all adorned with eyes, legs, feathers, and a colorful beak. Kennedy adorningly wrote her name across the front of her creation in a green crayon. I believe we have many aspiring artists in the making! "Wow, great job guys!"

With Storytime and activities now over, the crowd of little people along with parents and grandparents disperses. I grab my belongings as best I can and Kennedy with her masterpiece in hand, approach the old winding stairs that soon will bring us to the heavy swinging doors that take you into the Main Desk area of the old Carnegie Library in the village of Turners Falls, MA. Kennedy now needs to go to the bathroom and that means asking for the key from the people who work behind the big counter where people go to check out books, movies, tapes, cd's, etc. Key in hand, Kennedy eagerly sticks the key that is dangling from a long pink plastic ruler, into the keyhole and turns it about until she finally gets it right and the door unlocks. Mother nature calling all the shots for the next five minutes or so, we finish with the cold water and soap dispenser and a bit of a thug from the brown paper towel holder. All good with our hygiene 101, we enter through the heavy swinging doors once again; Kennedy proudly gives the key back to the nice man at the counter and we head over to the left area (children's section) of the historic library. Mounted high upon the wall to the left as you enter this area lies a huge stuffed moose, I am talking huge! This moose has been hanging there in the same place for decades as I remember it from many years ago when I was much younger. The children get a big kick out of it and it is especially fun to see how the people tending the library dress it up according to the season and approaching holiday. Dressed for the summer, the big moose is sporting some beach supplies with a plastic pail and shovel hanging from its antlers and a colorful beach towel mimicking a scarf around its neck, along with a few colorful fake flowers hanging here and there.

Kennedy has been here with me for several Wednesdays this summer, so she is now familiar and comfortable with the routine and her surroundings. Some days after the activities upstairs, the library quickly filters out and we find ourselves alone in the children's section which we tend to enjoy our quiet time there. On this particular day, however, there were many people in the children's section; many of the same people who attended the activities upstairs. Near the old fireplace just under the large moose, sits a leather black chair that I enjoy sitting in while Kennedy looks at books and plays with puzzles and at times she colors and draws on the little round table there. With many children and parents about, one mother with a baby in a holder against her chest, and several children in tow, was holding an item from the prize box explaining something to her son who was trying to decide what toy he wanted from the prize selection box (something the library does for the kids who accomplish goals from a goal worksheet), when all of a sudden, Kennedy grabbed the item from the woman's hand. I quickly noted to Kennedy that what she just did is not appropriate and to apologize to the lady, which she did. I told the lady that we are working on our manners with the hope that Kennedy will never do that again. The mother was very understanding and generously accepted our apology.

Having that little episode now history, I was trying desperately to get my arthritic body over to the black leather chair as I now see it is empty. Grabbing all my belongings (book bags, trusty cane, and let's not forget my travel mug of coffee), I briskly meander over to the area of the black chair, just about ready to sit my sixty-six year old senior and need I say matronly backside into it, when all of a sudden a yellow haired small male body plumps himself right into my much anticipated sitting spot! Ugh! I think to myself, "Lord, I truly enjoy your sense of humor most of the time, but not now, Lord, I need this seat and I need it now!" The young boy never looked up at me, and never twitched a brow or batted an eyelash. Honestly, I was dumbfounded as I just realized this could have truly been a disastrous moment for him and me! "Okee, dokee then!" So, I turn my bewildered (hot and hungry) self around hoping to then head back over to the small metal chair I had been sitting in earlier. You had to be there! It was one of those moments I could picture in slow motion that would have won me a contest as well!; better yet a skit with Jimmy Fallon! With much luck, the metal chair was empty so I quickly sat myself down and looked around taking in what just happened and wondering when the young lad still sitting in my chosen chair would be leaving. I had my "Shark Tales" book by Barbara Corchran with me and I was eager to crack it open and continue on learning about how the Sharks made their fortunes all the while anticipating a visit to the local thrift store directly across the street to check out their half-price deals that happen once a week and wondering how many one dollar bills I had remaining in my wallet in case I happen to catch a good deal. In the meantime, Kennedy is smiling, sometimes softly singing and enjoying herself immensely with all the fun and entertaining things this library has to offer.

What's the moral of this story? Not entirely sure. But I do know this, teach our kids to be good and kind citizens with good manners and morals. Be patient with them while they learn. Get them to their local libraries and get them to enjoy being there and to enjoy reading and the arts. Teach them early on as best we can about money and to respect money, so as to deter them getting caught up in the credit card scenario when they are barely eighteen. Teach them that the best things in life don't come with a price tag! Last but not least, give thanks to the wonderful people who work and support our libraries and who offer creative and entertaining workshops and activities for us all to enjoy!

Carnegie Library of Turners Falls, MA, we thank you for all you do to entertain us. We truly appreciate you!











True Story Contest contest entry


I enjoy writing in a humorous style as I tend to see the world with much humor. I hope with my written words I was able to capture the image for the reader and that my story allowed for a laugh or two.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Maureen Sky All rights reserved.
Maureen Sky has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.