Romance Fiction posted July 21, 2019 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie speaks with Bill

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 10 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
Just a note, Please remember Logan and McKenzie only met four days ago.


Ending of Previous Post:

"Thank you." McKenzie walked over to the door. "After I let the boys go out, ready to leave?"

Logan nodded. "Do you need some time?"

"No, why would I need time?"

He walked up to her. "Your eyes are a little red. I thought maybe..."

"I'm not a crier," interrupted McKenzie.

"But if you did, it would be all right."

She chewed on her lower lip. "I know." As a tear escaped, she turned toward the wall.

His arms went around her. "Come here. It's okay."

"I'm not crying."

"I know." He guided her head to his chest.

"Don't tell Bill why we're late."

"I won't."

Today's Post:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 10 PART 1

Joanie greeted McKenzie with a hug. "It's been over a month since we've last had lunch. How are you doing?"

"Things are pretty good. We need to do it again soon. Before I leave, we'd better set a date so we're sure it happens. Life seems to get in the way." McKenzie motioned to Logan. "I'm sure Bill's told you about him."

"He has. Glad to finally meet." Joanie offered her hand. "Bill's out back, if you want to go on out."

McKenzie started toward the kitchen. "I need to have a few words with him."

"Oh no," teased Joanie. "I know that look. What's he done this time?"

"I'd better rescue him." Logan followed McKenzie, but continued talking, "She's upset over the nightly police detail he assigned."

Joanie watched them leave as she shook her head. "I'm sitting this one out."

*****

When McKenzie stepped onto the patio, Bill looked up from the grill. "Hello. I'm glad you're here. I'm fixing a brisket." He nodded toward Logan. "Things going okay?"

"No. Things aren't okay." McKenzie glared at Bill. "What's this police detail about? I already have Betty Crocker. Why do I need more aggravation?"

Bill's eyes widened. "Betty Crocker?"

"I'll explain," interrupted Logan. "Mac's cooking skills lack, so I do most of the cooking."

"I get it." Bill grinned. "Mac, somebody's trying to hurt you. Until we find out who and why, I'd feel better if you have some security. It's a police detail or," he laughed, "Betty Crocker. Your choice?"

"What about the option that I take care of me? I vote for that."

"That's not happening." Bill's eyes met hers. "It's the police detail or Logan."

McKenzie turned and went inside. "Maybe I can talk some sense into Joanie."

Bill shook his head. "She's one stubborn young lady." He glanced at Logan. "I'm sure you've already noticed."

"We've had a few run-ins, but nothing much. I've figured out if I give her time, she's more willing to discuss it."

"That's true. It took me longer to figure it out." Bill chuckled. "You're pretty smart." He opened the smoker and made adjustments to the brisket. "I'd offer you a beer, but..."

"Yeah, explain the no alcohol issue."

"This story goes back to her childhood." Bill motioned to a chair as he sat. "Helen, her mom." He paused before he started over, "Helen's dad, Gus, was an alcoholic, and a mean drunk at that. Helen was abused as a child and this continued into her married life."

"By her dad's hands?" asked Logan.

Nodding, Bill said, "The police were regulars at their house, but Helen never pressed charges."

"I never understand why women put up with it."

"The abusers make sure the women have no self-esteem and cause them to feel they're forced to stay in that relationship, that there's no way out. Her husband and Mac's dad tried to help, but nothing ever came of it." Bill rubbed his chin. "One night when Mac was nine or ten years old, her dad was at work and Gus came to visit. He was drunk as usual. Helen put Mac to bed early trying to protect her from her grandpa."

"Why didn't Helen call her husband?"

"She tried, but he was on call and couldn't respond. Mack was still a detective for the Police Department." After Logan nodded acknowledgment, Bill continued, "I guess Mac had a nightmare and woke up crying. Gus went into her room to quiet her and hit her a few times. Helen came in to protect her daughter and hit Gus."

"This doesn't end well, does it?" Logan released a deep breath.

"No, it doesn't. I'm sure you know what happened. A neighbor heard the screams and called the police. Helen was battered so badly she spent almost a month in the hospital. Gus did two years in jail. McKenzie had some nasty bruises but more importantly still carries emotional scars. This is just one example of encounters with her grandpa."

"Wow!"

"That's when Mack left the police force and became a P.I." Bill checked the brisket. "As if that's not enough, Mac has more reasons to dislike alcohol. After the senior prom ended, her best friend, Nancy, and boyfriend, Louis, attended a party. Louis got drunk and attempted to drive Nancy home. He ran a red light, got in a car accident, and Nancy died at the scene. Louis survived."

"Enough said. I understand and won't drink around Mac again." Logan paused. "I hope that's the end of the stories."

"Mostly. Mac has a few little ones here and there, concerning boyfriends." Bill glanced toward the patio door. "What are we going to do to protect her?"

Logan ran his hand through his hair. "I don't know. It's not easy helping when she doesn't want it."


Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.



Recognized


I'm still on vacation and enjoying my year old granddaughter. She's napping, right now. Tomorrow, I go to my in-laws, and then home on Thursday.

Please remember that I write romance with a back story. I think the back story sometimes confuses people about exactly what the genre is.

Thank you google images for a photo of a brisket. I wanted a security detail but couldn't find the exact one I wanted.

Again, thank you for your wonderful support.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.