Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 18, 2019 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rob and Sarah get married.

A chapter in the book A Light in the Darkness

Happily Ever After?

by Roxanna Andrews




Background
Rookie detective Sarah Murray, investigates a serial case. Things are complicated by a stalker who has plagued her since college.
"I got the feeling talking with Rob that you two might be an item now. Did I read that right?"

Sarah nodded. "Still the great detective. We'll see how things go, but I have a good feeling about it. It's going to be a long-distance relationship for a while. Going to turn in my badge for an oven mitt. I'm buying a doughnut shop in Big Sky."

"So you're resigning?"

"I am. I think being a detective is going to burn me out. I'm too obsessive. But I may do consulting. I think I'd enjoy that more."

"I'm shocked. I figured you'd be Chief of D's one day. You're a great detective, Sarah."

"Thanks. You'll have to come to Big Sky, I'll give you a free doughnut and everything."

They said their good-byes, Sarah hugged Don one more time.

"You never know. I may take you up on that free doughnut one day," Don told her.

"You better."

**********************


Sarah resigned the next Monday. The Chief was not happy. He tried to talk her out of it but her mind was made up. "We're going to miss you around here."

"I don't doubt you will find a good replacement. Someone better at being, 'the light in the darkness.' I don't think I did that part very well."

"Are you kidding? You were one of my brightest, Sarah."

Sarah moved back to Big Sky the following week. Her parents and brother helped her pack. With her broken ankle, she couldn't do much. Rob came by after he got off work to help. She wasn't taking much. She planned to rent out the house furnished, so took only what had special meaning to her.


Sarah looked into taking business classes and found she could do it online. She was glad because, with the cast, she had to be driven everywhere. She worked at the doughnut shop when she could, getting acquainted with the business and the customers.

The cast came off a month after the move, and her ankle was as good as new, though a bit skinnier than the other. It was such a relief to drive herself again.

She and Rob talked every day and saw each other when possible.

"I wish you were here. You are missed at the station, mostly by me. Oh, and the Chief, he misses you too. He's telling me to say that." Sarah laughed.

By the time she had her business certificate, she and Rob were engaged.

He made the trip to Big Sky with a beauiful diamond solitaire ring in his duffel bag. While horseback riding in a stunning valley with snow topped mountains in the background, he had popped the question.

"Sarah, I have loved you since I first met you. Will you do me the great honor of being my wife?" Rob had even gotten down on one knee.

"Give me a second to think about it...Yes, yes, yes!"

A week before the shop owner retired and Sarah was set with the bank loan, she received a letter in the mail. The return address said, Lawson Industries of Bozeman. Sarah knew Lawson Industries was David Lawson's family company. She took a deep breath and sat down.

She opened the letter and something fluttered to the ground. She picked it up. It was a check made payable to her in the amount of a million and a half dollars. Sarah sucked in air and choked. She had to get a glass of water. Holding the letter with shaking hands, she saw the signature was that of Michael Lawson, David's brother.


Dear Miss Murray,

Let me start this letter by telling you how very sorry my family and I are for the trauma my brother caused you.

There is no adequate way to say in words how badly we feel.

This apology should have come months ago but we were waiting for all the legal paperwork to be done so my brother's trust could be accessed. The funds were passed on to me and I wish for you to have half.

My family and I know the money cannot make up for all the pain you were put through. We understand you have plans for purchasing a bakery and hope this will help accomplish that goal.

The other half of my brother's trust fund will be divided between several non-profits. One is the First Responders Foundation and another a mental health facility that is working on new methods to treat people like David.

We again hope you can accept our profound apologies and we wish you great success with your business and in your life.

Sincerely,
Michael Lawson, and for my parents, Martin and Joyce Lawson


Sarah called Rob. "You're not going to believe this!"

Rob moved down three months before the wedding. There was an opening in the Sheriff department in Big Sky and Rob applied for and got the job. They only had a police force of eight, but there was plenty to do, land disputes, loose cattle, the occasional disorderly drunk, and now and then, a shooting.

With the unexpected funds from the Lawsons, they bought a house and Rob lived there.

"We're having a real estate boom this week." The Realtor told Rob and Sarah, when they came to sign papers. "I just rented a home in the same neighborhood to a lovely young woman." 

"It's good to know we'll have nice neighbors," Sarah replied.

Sarah purchased her bakery without needing the bank loan and after four months, was breaking even. She considered that a huge accomplishment. Once people began to trust her baked goods, and the ski crowd came to town, she was sure business would pick up.

More than doughnuts was added to the menu. Using her grandma's receipts, Sarah and her two employees made muffins, brownies, scones and five different varieties of cookies. So far she had gotten very positive feedback. The local newspaper wrote a front-page article on her and the shop. She had changed the name to Elaine's Bake Shoppe in honor of her grandmother.

The wedding was fast approaching and Sarah was glad for all the help she received from her family and friends. Being so busy with the bake shop, she never would have gotten it all done without them. She was afraid she might be going down the aisle in her jeans, but of course her mom would never allow that. Sarah said "Yes" to a dress of exquisite lace and silk.

On the day of her wedding, Sarah woke with butterflies using her stomach as a flight pattern. She couldn't eat a thing and worried about passing out during the ceremony.

As she walked down the aisle toward Rob, Sarah thought how wonderful he looked in his black tux. She couldn't remember ever being this happy.

As Rob watched Sarah walk toward him, it seemed as if she were floating, everything seemed surreal. It was unbelievable to him that this woman was about to become his wife.

Chief George Brenner was the best man and he had tears in his eyes. He thought of Sarah as a daughter and believed himself responsible for the couple getting together.

"If it weren't for me, none of this would have happened," he told anyone who listened.

As the couple joined hands and repeated their vows, their happiness could be seen by all in attendence. Sarah's mom wiped tears from her eyes throughout the ceremony.

After being pronounced husband and wife, the couple walked back down the aisle hand and hand to applause and cheering.

Everyone said the wedding was one of the most beautiful they had ever witnessed and they raved about the food at the reception. Rob and Sarah were able to bump it up a few notches with the trust fund money Sarah received.

They also upgraded the honeymoon and planned two weeks in Hawaii. Sarah couldn't wait to lie on a warm beach.

"I'm coming back with a beautiful tan. Everyone will be so envious."

Just before the ceremony was about to begin, a woman slipped into a back pew. She was beautifully dressed in an exquisite suit and a hat that she wore pulled down hiding part of her face. She got curious stares from the other guests but paid them no attention. Her name was Monica Landers.

Renting a house in Big Sky with daddy's money, Monica had moved there three months ago to be close to Rob. In fact the house was in the same neighborhood as the newlyweds. She was finding the tiny town quite boring and if not for the fact that Rob lived there, she would never stay. Fortunately it was just a few hours drive to Bozeman, and she made the trip often.

Monica had read about the wedding in the paper and decided to attend. Rob looked gorgeous in his black tux. She couldn't take her eyes off him.

Rob and Sarah assumed she was someone's date when she came through the reception line and politely wished them well.

When the crowd waved the newlyweds off to their honeymoon, throwing birdseed and calling well wishes, Monica was among them.

She watched them drive off with a smile. Rob would be hers one day. The fact that he had just gotten married mattered not at all to her. She would find a way for them to be together. Monica always found a way.




The End! Or is it. =}

I put a small reference to "Say Yes to the Dress" a show about brides picking out wedding dresses at Kleinfelds in New York City. It's kind of fun to watch and it has become a catch phrase to ask if a bride 'Said Yes to a dress."

The photo used is actually from my nieces wedding. She was a beautiful bride. =}

Sarah Murray- Rookie Detective now bake shop owner
Donald Russell-Sarah's ex detective partner
David Lawson - Sarah's stalker. It started in college.
The Chief- George Brenner, Chief of Detectives
Sgt. Rob Mitchell - 2nd in command behind the Chief
Monica Landers - Mysterious woman attending the wedding.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Roxanna Andrews All rights reserved.
Roxanna Andrews has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.