Humor Fiction posted July 16, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Some strang things happen on the barroom floor after closing

The Barroom Floor

by Gunner Lil

Fifty-six year- old Henry placed the whistle between his lips and blew into it as hard as he could. The ten patrons stopped their chatter and looked with dismay at Henry who called out, "Last call. The tavern closes in twenty minutes." He placed the whistle with its long chain and D-ring on a hook next to the cash register.

The seven men and three ladies crowded the wooded bar and ordered their last brew of the night from Alice the waitress.

Exactly twenty minutes later Henry rapidly switched the barroom's lights on and off and announced it was closing time.

Alice and Henry, working as a team, cleaned the bar, making it ready for the next day of business. They locked the rear doors in the store room, and checked the restrooms just in case someone missed closing time. Henry turned out the lights, leaving two dim night lights on. He and Alice locked the front door and Henry turned his key to the left in the deadbolt making sure it slid into position. Alice pulled twice on the front door handle, making sure it was secure.

Dusty listened for the second tug on the front door. When he heard it a devilish smile crossed his lips as he made his way to the center of the barroom floor. The beam of light from one night light bounced off the hardwood flooring where Dusty stood. As if on center stage, Dusty looked up and from the pit of his gut let out a high pitch squeal. "Come and get it."

From out of the pale light came scampering five light brown mice. Dusty watched two of the newest members of the clan race to the top of the wooden bar. Dusty said. " They'll learn. The good stuff is down here on the floor."

The more mature members began to lick the aged hardwood, making their way across the large room, stopping only to savor the taste of the whiskey, rye and beer.

Dusty, having had more than his share, chased the two young mice off the bar and sat in the center of it. Looking up at the night lights, he began to sing:
"Oh- the liquor was spilled on the barroom floor, and the bar was closed for the night.
From out of his hole came a little brown mouse into the pale moonlight.
Oh-he licked up the liquor from the barroom floor and yelled, "Bring on the god-
darn cat."



Flash Fiction Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized


Just having some fun.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Gunner Lil All rights reserved.
Gunner Lil has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.