Romance Fiction posted July 14, 2019 Chapters:  ...20 21 -22- 23... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A rock hits McKenzie's door.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 9 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat.
Ending of Previous Post:

McKenzie ate most of her stack of pancakes before she set her fork down. "I didn't get much sleep last night."

"Why?" He got the coffee pot, refilled hers and then his. "Want to talk about it?"

"I'm not sure I can."

"Were you angry or scared or something else?"

"At first I was angry, but then I got scared, I guess. I'm scared of the unknown. I don't know what's going on. Why is this happening?" McKenzie chewed on her bottom lip. "If I knew what was going on, I think I'd be okay."

TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 9 PART 2

As the last of the groceries were put away, Logan asked, "Okay, what else is there to do?"

McKenzie flopped down on the left side of the couch. "House cleaned, check, laundry done, check, groceries bought and put away, check. Tomorrow is pay bill day, so we can still catch the end of the ballgame."

Logan sat on the right side. "I vote for that." He petted Edger as he crawled up beside him. "I guess he figures Arlo's always next to you, so he'll sit here." He chuckled. "I get it, big guy."

"It's the sixth inning. The Cards are down by one. There's plenty of time, but we need some hits and baserunners." McKenzie glanced at her watch. "We have time to see the end of the game before we need to head for Bill's."

During the bottom of the eighth inning the Cardinals had tied the game.

"Darn! I need to change." McKenzie scooted to the edge of her seat. "I hate these close games. It can go either way."

In the top of the ninth, the Cubs got two runs.

"Okay, it's now or never. Maybe we should turn it off." McKenzie glanced at Logan. "Think we should?"

Logan laughed. "Do you believe it'll change the outcome?"

"No, but if they lose it won't be as painful. It's bad enough if they lose but to the Cubs it's twice as bad." She stood. "Maybe I'll go ahead and change."

"But if they come back, you'll have missed it."

"True. What should I do?"

"Decisions, decisions." Logan winked.

"You're teasing me."

"A little." He pointed to the stairs. "If you decide to change, I promise not to share the outcome. Will that help?"

"Not at all." McKenzie leaned back on the couch. "I'll stay, but they'd better win."

Logan jumped up at a noise out front and went to the door.

Both dogs barked and joined Logan.

"What was it?" McKenzie followed.

"I don't know. Stay back. I'll look around." As he opened the door, he glanced at Edger. "Do your job." Logan stepped onto the front porch.

When he returned, he carried a large rock. "Do the neighborhood kids usually throw rocks?"

"Not normally. Why?"

"I found this by the door." He pointed to an indention in the wood. "It hit here."

"Looks like it had some velocity to it."

"I'd say so."

"Why? Just to remind me they're watching me?"

"Maybe."

"I'm going to change."

Logan petted Edger. "Big guy, I'd say this isn't going to improve her mood. What do you bet?" He released a deep breath. "But she's handling it better than most."

When McKenzie returned, she glanced at the TV. "Well, did they pull it off?"

"Almost, they got one run back, but still came up short." Logan turned off the TV. "You look nice by the way."

"Thank you." She walked over to the door. "After I let the boys go out, ready to leave?"

Logan nodded. "Do you need some time?"

"No, why would I need time?"

He walked up to her. "Your eyes are a little red. I thought maybe..."

"I'm not a crier," interrupted McKenzie.

"But if you did, it would be all right."

She chewed on her lower lip. "I know." As a tear escaped, she turned toward the wall.

His arms went around her. "Come here. It's okay."

"I'm not crying."

"I know." He guided her head to his chest.

"Don't tell Bill why we're late."

"I won't."



Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou local name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league
baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.



Recognized


I spent the afternoon in St. Louis watching the Cardinals. They did win; 5-2. I am using my laptop. I am much more comfortable with my PC, so I'm hoping I'm not making numerous mistakes.

Thank you google images for a photo of a rock which could have been thrown that McKenzie's door.

Again, thank you for your wonderful support.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.