Supernatural Fiction posted July 14, 2019 Chapters:  ...16 17 -18- 19... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE IMMORTAL

Not Human

by scongrove




Background
Thank you for taking the time to read my chapter. It's still in the working stages, so if you catch any mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy!
Previously . . .

After Captain Hodge offered Jimmy Fratianno time off his sentence if he turns over state’s evidence, he suddenly changes his mind. Somehow, Jimmy manages to get his hands on a shotgun and tries to escape the Berkeley Precinct. In the process, he injures Detective Perkins. Before he fires another shot, Detective Manuel Sanchez takes him out with two bullets. When the detective checks to see if Jimmy is dead, something strange occurs. As Jimmy’s prison jumpsuit splits apart at the seams, coarse black fur sprouts throughout his body until a wolfish creature immerges. Taken aback by Jimmy’s newfound transformation, Detective Sanchez reaches for his weapon. Faster than the human eye can perceive, the wolfish creature swats at his gun before the detective can discharge it, and escapes a precinct full of armed men and women. 

While the ambulance takes Detective Perkins to the hospital, his partner, Detective Sanchez goes out for some fresh air. In the event of what just went down in his own precinct, he needed to take a breather. Before he could get around the corner of the police station, a black SUV tries to take him out. Taking a bullet in the shoulder, Sanchez manages to capture the shooter—in which he suspicions is connected to Jimmy Fratianno’s family—while the driver makes his get-away. When Detective Sanchez arrives at the hospital, he decides this is way over his department’s head, and calls the Breedline Covenant for assistance.   
 

When Tim Ross—the head of the Breedline council—receives a call from Detective Sanchez, he had Drakon form a team to go hunt Jimmy Fratianno down. Fortunately, the tracking device implanted inside Jimmy during his incarceration gave them his exact location. When their plan to apprehend Jimmy at his Uncle Vincent Scarpelli’s estate turns to chaos, the Breedline find themselves surrounded by Scarpelli’s armed guards.    


Meanwhile, Tessa is concerned for the Covenant’s safety after the mysterious creature somehow finds his way into their home and tries to attack Tara Hood.      
       

Continued . . .

As Helen pushed her way into Detective Manuel Sanchez’s hospital room, a nurse standing next to his bedside looked up. “Hello, Dr. Carrington.”

Helen smiled at her. “Nurse Kathryn, how’s our patient?”

“Stubborn as hell,” the nurse replied. Her mouth curved and her blue eyes sparkled as she winked at Manuel. “Other than that, he’s patched up and ready to go.” 

Manuel’s cheeks and neck suddenly appeared flushed.

“That’s good to hear,” Helen said. She moved to the opposite side of Manuel, and put her hand on his shoulder. “I just examined your partner in crime. It looks like Detective Perkins is going to make a full recovery.”

Manuel eased back against the pillow, seemingly relieved to hear the news of his partner’s condition.

“What about the bastard that put this hole in my arm,” Manuel grumbled, getting straight to the point. “Please tell me he didn’t kick the bucket. He’s my only witness to whoever put out a hit on me.”

Helen cocked a brow. “I’m sorry to say, Mr. Caruso took a turn for the worst. We’ve got him in ICU on a ventilator.” Her tone was grim. “I don’t expect him to make it through the night.”

“Shit,” Manuel cursed low. “Have you heard back from Tim?”

Helen looked up at Nurse Kathryn and said, “Kathryn, will you please excuse us. I need to speak with Detective Sanchez in private.”

Kathryn nodded. “Of course, Dr. Carrington.” She reached out and lightly patted Manuel’s hand. “I’ll get your release forms ready, Detective.”

Manuel’s face bloomed again. “T-thank you, Kathryn.”

Helen noticed that Manuel’s eyes never left the nurse as she exited the room, her long braided hair swaying gently. Not to mention his reaction to her touch.

“Detective Sanchez,” Helen said with the biggest grin on her face. “I think Nurse Kathryn is a little sweet on you.”

Manuel took his eyes off the door and refocused them on Helen. “I’m sorry, what did you say?”

Helen chuckled. “She’s single. I can get her number if you like. I’m sure she’d be thrilled if you asked her out on a date.”

His brows furrowed in confusion. “Who?” He mumbled. “What?”     
 
“I was talking about Nurse Kathryn,” Helen raised her voice a little. “I think you should definitely ask her out.” 
  
Manuel’s face turned three shades of red. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to keep this conversation professional and get back to my question.”

“Whatever you say, Detective,” Helen snickered under her breath. “But if you change your mind, just let me know.”

“About Tim Ross,” Manuel said firmly, changing the subject. “Have you heard from him?”

Helen’s expression dropped. “Unfortunately, no,” she sighed. “But I did hear from Tessa.”

“So what did she say? Did they find Jimmy Fratianno?”

“Tim sent Drakon and four others to Mr. Fratianno’s hide-out. Apparently they were apprehended by a group of bad guys,” Helen told him. “To make a long story short, they pissed off Jace. He turned into his Beast, and everything went to hell.”

Manuel shook his head. “Did they manage to catch Jimmy?”   

“Yeah, they got him alright. The parts of him that were left.”

“Shit,” Manuel gritted out. “I take it Jimmy’s rogue wolf was no match for Jace’s Beast.” 
  
“Don’t worry about it, Detective.” Helen crossed her arms. “They’ve got everything covered.”

“What about the bodies?”

“Like I said, Detective,” Helen briefly paused, her lips forming into a slight smile, “they’ve got it covered.”

In frustration, Manuel rubbed his eyes and groaned. “So what you’re saying is it’s out of my hands, right?”

“No, Detective. That’s not what I’m saying. Right now, you and Detective Perkins need to take a day or two and rest. You need to heal. Let them take care of things in the meantime.” Then she tacked on, “Doctor’s orders.”

“I think I’ll take you up on that,” Manuel said.

“You mean you’re actually going to take my advice and rest?”

“No,” he simply said. “I was referring to the nurse’s phone number.”

Helen shot Manuel a look. “You got it, Detective. Oh,” she went on, “before I leave, I wanted to tell you that I had Ms. McCain transported to the Covenant. She’s not safe here.”

Manuel looked at Helen in question. “Why in the hell wasn’t I informed?”

Helen held up her hand in a reassuring gesture. “Calm down, Detective. There was no time. The creature somehow got into her room last night. We thought it best to get her out of the hospital as soon as possible.”  
    
“Is she all right?”

“Jena is fine, Detective. She’s just a little shaken-up.”

“How in the hell did it get past the guards?”

“That’s a good question. So far, we think the creature has the ability to transform into a fog-like substance. If so, it’s possible it could have gotten through the vents.”

“Shit,” Manuel grumbled. “You mean to tell me we are chasing after a creature that not only can shift into a werewolf, the damn thing can make itself change into fog?”

“Sorry, Detective. But that’s the only explanation I can come up with.”

“How is Tim going to keep this thing from getting into the Covenant?”

Helen shook her head. “I don’t know, Detective. At least we’ll be able to contain Ms. McCain in the Covenant. It won’t be long, and she’ll be a threat to humans.” 

He heaved a deep breath. “Yeah, I guess you’re right, Helen. Thanks for letting me know. Sorry I barked at you.”

“You’re welcome, Detective, and don’t worry about it. I know you’re just concerned about Ms. McCain’s safety. As soon as Nurse Kathryn gets your release forms ready, you’re free to check out.”

“What about Perkins?” Manuel asked. “How long before he gets out?”

“If his vital signs continue to improve,” Helen said as she headed to the door, “he should be good to go tomorrow afternoon.”

“Has anyone called his wife, Missy?”

“As a matter of fact, she came to see him as I was leaving his room.”

“Thanks, Helen. You’re a damn good doctor.”

“Why thank you, Detective.” She opened the door. “I’ll have Tim give you a call.”

Before she stepped out of the room, Manuel said, “Uh Helen,” he briefly paused, “about that nurse. Is she a --” 

“Breedline?” Helen finished his question before he could get the words out.

“Yeah,” he said. “I was just curious. I mean, in case I had to keep all this stuff a secret.”

“She’s just like you.” Helen smiled. “Kathryn was born with the Breedline genetics, but she does not have an identical twin.”  

He nodded. “Thanks Helen.”

“You’re welcome, Detective.”

****

As Tessa escorted Tara back to her room, so many questions plagued her mind. How did the creature find its way into the Covenant? And why didn’t it kill Tara like it did her boyfriend? Was it true what it had told her? That she wasn’t human.  

After Tara carefully got back into bed, she eased her head against the pillow and asked Tessa, “How old is your son?”

“Jax and his twin brother Jem turned a year old on Ground Hogs Day.”

Tara’s eyes widened. “You have twins?”  
 
Tessa brushed Jax’s hair back, tucking it behind his ear. “Yes, and they’re identical.”

“He’s adorable.” Tara’s eyes softened. “You and your husband must feel very lucky to have such beautiful children, and so well behaved.”

“Oh, we are truly blessed.” Tessa smiled a little. “But this one here,” she dropped a kiss on the side of Jax’s cheek, “can be a little ornery at times.”

Jax crinkled his nose, stuck his tongue out, and blew a raspberry.

Both Tessa and Tara laughed. Then their attention went to the sound of a light knock coming from the door. Seconds later, a familiar voice called out, “Miss Hood, it’s Tim Ross. May I come in?”

“Yes,” Tara replied. “It’s open.”

When the door opened, Tessa turned to meet Tim as he stepped inside the room. Jax smiled ear to ear, and extended his hands.

“Hey, little guy.” Tim smiled back and tentatively reached for Jax, taking him from Tessa. He hugged Jax close, giving him a light squeeze. “What are you doing up so late?”

Jax placed his thumb in his mouth, a habit he’d recently adopted.

“He’s been up for hours,” Tessa said, releasing a long sigh.

“Where’s his brother?” Tim asked.

Tessa cocked a brow at Jax. “He’s sleeping like a baby.”

Tim shifted Jax in his arms. “Are you keeping your Mama up late?”

Jax grinned around his thumb, and Tim chuckled. “Well, I hope I’m not intruding,” he said, his eyes meeting Tessa, and then Tara. “I came by to check on our guest and heard voices.” He moved next to Tara’s bedside and smiled down at her. “I was just making sure you were all right, Miss Hood.”

“Please, call me Tara,” she told him.

“Tara, this is Tim Ross,” Tessa introduced them. “He’s a close friend of mine, and he helps me take care of this place.”

Tim repositioned Jax, and offered his hand to Tara. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Tara. I hope you’re comfortable here.”

Tara took his hand, and said, “It’s nice to meet you, too. And yes, everyone has been so nice to me.”

“Good to hear,” Tim said, and then turned to Tessa. “So, what are you doing here at this hour? Is there something I should be aware of?”

“The reason I’m here is because . . .” Tessa hesitated for a moment, trying to figure out the easiest way to tell Tim about Tara’s recent incident. She knew this was going to put the Covenant on high alert. “The creature tried to attack Tara here in the Covenant.”  

Tim’s eyes rounded. “What?” He shifted his eyes away from Tessa and focused them on Tara. “When did this happen?”

“Just moments ago,” Tara told him.

Tim heaved a deep breath. “Are you all right?”

“I-I’m fine,” Tara nervously said as the images of the terrifying ordeal came crashing back. “Just startled, that’s all.”

“Do you think the creature could have followed Jena back here?” Tessa asked Tim.

“Who’s Jena?” Tara interjected.

“She’s the survivor from the cemetery attack,” Tessa told her. “I’m sure you’ve heard about it on the news. She’s coming here to stay with us for her protection.”

Tim’s hold tightened around Jax. “It’s a possibility the creature has some kind of link to Jena. We are going to have to beef up security, and I want everyone to report to a meeting first thing in the morning, before breakfast. I’ll send everyone a text.” Then he asked, “Have you heard from Helen?” 
 
“I spoke with her earlier,” Tessa replied. “She’d just got out of surgery. Both Detective Sanchez and Detective Perkins are doing fine. And I gave her permission to inform them about the situation with the Scarpelli thing.” She cocked a brow, not wanting to say anything further in front of Tara. 

Tim nodded an understanding. “Thank you, Tessa.”

Tara cleared her throat, catching their attention, and then said, “Tim, why are you doing all this for me? I mean, you don’t really owe me anything, and you hardly know me. No one here knows anything about me.”

Tim frowned. Because you are human, and you wouldn’t make it a day without our help, he thought.  

Keeping that to himself, he leaned over and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Because Tara, we care about your safety, and the safety of our family.”

“But—”

“Just let us help you, Tara. And don’t worry about a thing.” He pulled back his hand, and straightened. “I know you have a lot of unanswered questions. Considering the circumstances, it’s perfectly understandable.”

Tessa reached for Jax and whispered, “Come to Mommy, sweetheart.”

He disentangled himself from Tim’s grasp and reached for Tessa.

“There you go, buddy,” Tim said as he placed Jax in her arms.  
 
“Look Tara, I have to go meet with my security,” Tim continued. “But I assure you, we will do our best to answer all your questions tomorrow after our meeting. Until then, you get some rest. I will post two guards outside your door twenty-four-seven.”

“Thank you,” Tara whispered, her eyes heavy with exhaustion.

Tessa patted her hand. “Get some rest, Tara. I’ll check on you first thing in the morning.”

As they shut the door behind them, leaving Tara to get some rest, Tessa said, “We need to have Helen run a DNA test on Tara.”

Tim’s brows furrowed. “Why’s that?”

“Tara had mentioned something rather strange. She said the creature told her she wasn’t human.”

“You think that’s why he didn’t kill her?”

Tessa shrugged. “I don’t know, maybe.”

“And she didn’t say anything about what we are?” 

“No, nothing.” Tessa shook her head. “As far as Tara thinks, we’re human.”

“Have Helen do a DNA test as soon as she returns. It’s a possibility Tara was born with the Breedline genetics without her knowledge,” he said.

“Mama,” Jax mumbled around a noisy yawn.  

Tim looked down to see Jax rubbing his eyes.

“I think it’s way past someone’s bed time,” Tim chuckled lightly.

Tessa stroked Jax’s blonde curls and pressed a kiss to his head. “Let’s get you back to bed, sweetheart.”

Jax pulled away from Tessa and glanced over at Tim. “Night-night,” he murmured, waving his hand.

“Good night, little guy.”

 “I’ll see you in the morning,” Tessa said, cuddling Jax in her arms. 

“Good night, Tessa,” Tim whispered.  

When they left, Tim buried his face in his hands, briefly giving in to the crushing despair that hovered over him like the darkest cloud. What in the hell were they going to do? How was he going to keep everyone in the Covenant safe? They depended on him, and not knowing how to destroy the creature was eating a hole in his stomach. Whatever he had to do to keep his family safe, he was willing to do, even if it killed him. 

To be continued . . .
   
    
  
 

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers.

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline only get their wolf if they are born with an identical twin. Although they live among humans, their species is secret.
In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing that can kill a Breedline.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth. Born with telepathic abilities, they have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins are so strong, they cannot live without the other.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When two Breedlines experience a bond, they instantly feel a simultaneous, desirable attraction. They bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant. There is one in every state. A council governs their laws and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. She rules over all the Breedline Covenants where she makes all the final decisions. This is their absolute True Law.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If disobeyed, they must face the possibility of being shunned, and no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil�¢??other than protecting their life, and the life of another�¢??they will never have the ability to shift back into human form.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline shunned by their Covenant for taking another life out of revenge or evil and forced to live as a wolf until death without the ability to change into human form again. Some rogue wolves form into packs, which can be dangerous for other Breedline species.

Tessa Fairchild (a.k.a. the Breedline Queen) - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, and raised by her aunt and uncle, Tessa has no knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she became the new Breedline queen. She is an inspiring artist.

Jax and Jem Chamberlain - Jace and Tessa's twin boys. Both have inherited the Breedline gene and their father's Beast.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates Hospital for both Breedlines and humans. She is bonded to Alexander Crest.

Roman Kincaid - He is an Adalwolf trained in military tactics, hired as a special breed of warriors from Brazil. Hired as a bodyguard for Valkin Steele - a billionaire funding a group of unethical scientist's research - he later learns of Steele's underground sex-trafficking and illegal drug and weapons trade, and informs the Breedline Covenant. He also forms a team of Breedline soldiers who work for a private Special Ops group contracted by the military for missions that no one else can or will do to help put an end to Valkin Steele's corrupt organization.

Lawrence Colbert - A Breedline council member of the New Jersey Covenant, trained in military tactics and as a medic who worked alongside Roman Kincaid, the Special Ops Team, and the Breedline Covenant to help take down Valkin Steele.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species. Enraged by his first bonded mate's death at the hands of her father, Drakon breaks the Breedline's True Law and kills him. After he is shunned by the Covenant and forced to live as a rogue wolf, he's promised his humanity back if he joins the Chiang-Shih demon's army. When Drakon discovers the demon's plans to destroy all humans and half-breeds, he betrays him and joins forces with the Breedline. As time passes, he bonds with another mate, Cassie Chamberlain.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species, and the head council of the California Covenant.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species and later discovers his birth father - who is possessed by the Chiang-Shih demon - murdered his mother when he and his twin brother were four years old. Raised by their new foster family and their Uncle Jacks, he later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast. With the help of his twin brother, Jem, and his bonded mate, Tessa, they help him cope with his rage to keep the Beast at bay. He's an IT engineer, and is the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon that gives him the power to create a portal and a force of electric energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood. He's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - Raised by a single mother, Manuel never knew his real father. At age thirteen, his older sister Lailah was murdered, and her killer never apprehended. Consumed by Lailah's death, Manuel chooses a career in police enforcement hoping someday he will bring justice to his sister. Now in his fifties - living his life as a bachelor and a homicide detective - he discovers he's not entirely human, and has inherited his father's Breedline genetics.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner, and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Captain James Hodge - He is Detective Manuel Sanchez and Detective Frank Perkins superior at the San Francisco, California Police Department.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.