Sports Fiction posted July 13, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Three friends compete for the golf title.

The Golf Championship

by Lance S. Loria


Dave has been playing the game since he was five. Twenty two years later he's in a three-way tie for first place. The gallery was building as people wanted to watch the exciting finish.

Dave, Ross and Brian completed the 17th hole. After twenty-six holes, the threesome had the identical score of 78. This was a par-3 course so the players were even after all but one hole.

All the years of practice and playing this game were paying off for Dave as he approached the final tee. The 18th hole was a formidable par-3 with both sand and water traps. There was a left dog-leg to get to the green. There was a murmur from the gallery which quieted as Dave approached the tee. The only sound was from a wooden windmill that occasionally creaked as it turned.

Dave's first shot was perfect, rolling to a stop in the middle of the fairway, just past the traps and in a position for a birdie. Ross teed off and his shot was similar and rolled to a stop about four feet away. Finally, Brian took his swing, and the ball landed squarely in the sand trap. Bad luck for Brian but good news for Dave and Ross.

Dave's second shot passed the windmill and landed on the green before rolling to within inches of the cup. If only it had rolled farther and dropped in for a birdie. Brian asked Dave to tap in and clear the way for his second shot. The gallery had nearly doubled in size and the pressure on Brian was clearly evident from the sweat across his brow. Again the creaking of the windmill could be heard. Brian carefully lined up his shot and swung. His ball hit one of the windmill blades and rebounded back behind him. Dave had won the Putt-Putt Golf Championship!




I hope you enjoyed this silly story and that the ending was a surprise.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lance S. Loria All rights reserved.
Lance S. Loria has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.