General Fiction posted July 4, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A children's story.

The Fate of a Fox

by Jake P.


Once upon a time on a cold rainy night a fox slinked slowly through the forest looking for food. He hadn't eaten in many days, and his stomach ached from hunger.

If he could only find a fat chicken or a rabbit, he would be be able to eat a great meal then go to his den and sleep peacefully. But the rain had washed all the smells away, and he couldn't find his prey.

"Poor fidgety, feeble fox what brings you out here all alone on this miserable night?"

The voice was deep and rattled his insides. He shivered and hunkered down with his belly sinking into the mud.

"Are you sick or hurt? Can you speak?"

In a weak voice the fox answered.

"W...what are you sir? Friend or foe? Are you here to eat me, or are you seeking friendly companionship?"

"Do I look like I'm here to eat you?"

The fox slowly turned his head to see who was speaking. He saw nothing at first. Then he saw two eyes blink near a bush. It was a toad, and he blended into his surroundings. His legs were covered by the mud, and it looked as if he had settled himself comfortably in hiding.

The fox stood and shook as much of the mud from his belly as he could.

"Oh, you're just a toad. I may be hungry enough to eat a toad, but I'd much prefer something more satisfying."

"You'd eat me? What about that friendly companionship of which you spoke?"

"In my current state, a toad looks as tasty as a rabbit."

"Surely you know toads are not tasty. I'm sure, as a meal, I'd give you nausea and heartburn. Besides, it'd be like eating a mud ball."

The fox bared his teeth and stalked menacingly forward.

"There's protein somewhere in all that filth."

Suddenly a mountain began to rise from behind the toad. It shook, and clumps of mud and brush rained down all around, much of it landing on the fox. Backing away, he saw a wolf the size of a small horse.

"There'll be no meal of this toad for you my friend. He raised me from a pup after my folks were killed by hunters. We've eaten many bugs together until I learned to hunt for my own food. Foxes have become one of my delicacies."

Much violence ensued, far too gory for this tale. But there is a message to be learned.
Beware of the weak and vulnerable, for their influence may have a formidable bite.






Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Jake P. All rights reserved.
Jake P. has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.