Romance Fiction posted June 23, 2019 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Logan listens to the recording.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 7 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't want to believe anyone would harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threat
Ending of Previous Post:

Kate checked her watch. "It's getting late. I need to get going? Anything else?"

"Besides George and Donny, do you know of any other men she saw?"

"There were some, but she met them at a bar, did some dancing. Once in a while, they'd leave together. One-night-stands."

"Do you know if they went back to her place or his?"

"Pretty sure hers, but not positive."

McKenzie handed Kate her card. "Thank you. If you think of anything else, please call."

The ladies shook hands, and then Kate left.

McKenzie took a long drink of coffee. I doubt Logan will want to hear any of this about his baby sister. How do I answer his questions? She put a large bite of muffin in her mouth.


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 7 PART 2

About fifteen minutes later, Logan walked to McKenzie's table holding two cups of coffee. He offered her one. "You look like you could use it. How'd it go?"

"Thank you." McKenzie took a sip. "Even though I've already had plenty, I could still use another cup. The water just got a lot muddier. First, I need to see if the police found Megan's phone. Their report didn't mention a phone. Nowadays, everybody has their phone with them. Where's her phone?" She released a deep breath and drank more coffee. "Then I need to call an Eleanor."

"Who's Eleanor and what does she have to do with this?" Logan paused. "What are you avoiding telling me?" He glanced at the recorder. "You recorded the conversation?" After she nodded, he asked, "Can I hear it?"

"I'm not sure you want to."

"It can't be that bad. She's my baby sister, for God's sake."

McKenzie pushed the recorder toward him. "Don't say I didn't warn you."

Logan picked it up and left the building.

McKenzie watched him sit in the car. I wouldn't like the one-night-stands, myself, and it's just downhill from there. She studied him for a few moments. It'll be easier for him to listen to it alone. I doubt any brother wants to hear his sister likes experimenting with rough sex, multiple partners or with different sexes. I bet he never thought of himself as a perfectionist. McKenzie took a sip of coffee and grinned. He'll probably enjoy that title, but not the overprotective part. I'll tell him about Eleanor later. She watched through the window and noticed him hit the steering wheel. "Not good."

Moments later, Logan returned and sat across from her.

McKenzie glanced at him. "I need to call Kate. I forgot to ask what Megan's favorite bar was, if she had one."

Silence.

A few moments later, McKenzie placed her hand on Logan's. "You okay?"

"What do you think?"

McKenzie took a long drink of coffee and stood. "I'll leave you alone." She walked out of the coffee shop. Now where do I go and what do I do? I guess I'll window shop.

As she moseyed down the sidewalk, a man stopped in front of her. "Hello. You look lost. Maybe I can help."

"Thank you, but I'm not lost." McKenzie attempted to walk around him. When he moved in front of her again, she said, "Excuse me, Sir. I need to get by."

"Why don't I buy you a cup of coffee?" His eyes met hers.

"No thank you." She again attempted to walk past.

He touched her arm.

Logan walked up and grabbed the man's arm. "The lady isn't interested." He put his arm around McKenzie's waist. "Let's go, Sweetheart." He drew her closer to his body as they continued to the car.

At the car, Logan opened the passenger door for her. "I hope you don't mind, but I'm driving."

After he turned the ignition key, McKenzie asked, "Logan?"

"I'm fine."

"Good to know," whispered McKenzie and after a long silence, she said, "I'll cook my specialty for dinner tonight."

Logan stopped backing up and faced her. "What's your specialty?"

"Macaroni and cheese with hotdogs."

"So you do have a specialty?"

"Yes, I can open a box with the best of them. You even have an option. I can cut the hotdogs up and mix them with the macaroni or you can have them separate."

A car honked.

Logan waved his hand. "Oh, sorry." He pulled back into the parking place. "Your suggestion shocked me. I forgot I was backing up." He laughed and shook his head. "Your lack of basic cooking skills never cease to amaze me."

"I thought I might help. It's that or something microwaveable. Your choice." She smiled. "Actually, I was getting tired of doing dishes, so thought we could switch roles."

"Ah, the truth comes out." His eyes met McKenzie's. "Sorry about the earlier familiarity, but-" He took a breath. "Did you know that man?" After she shook her head, he continued, "Did you see him Tuesday night at the Pub?"

"I don't think I've ever seen him before. I still don't remember a lot from that night. Did the bartender have any information?"

"Not really. He didn't recognize the men who tried to help. They're not regulars and came in a little after you did. He's pretty sure they were up to no good. He did let me look at the surveillance video and will have a copy made. I can pick it up in a few days." Logan stared out the windshield a few moments. "It's possible that guy was just hitting on a pretty girl."

McKenzie touched his hand. "You don't need to come to my rescue all the time. If he would've continued, I would've decked him. I can, you know?"

"I know." Logan hesitated.

"So you think I'm pretty, huh?" teased McKenzie.

His eyes widened as he grinned. "You're more than pretty."

"Thank you." She leaned back in the seat. "As you take me home, you can tell me what you're looking for in a wife."

"I'm glad you asked that before I backed up or I would've gotten honked at again. I'd thought you'd forgotten about it. I see there's no chance of it." Logan backed up and then put the car in first gear. "I'll answer, but only if you agree to tell me what your expectations are for a husband. Fair enough?"

"Okay. But you have to go first. I asked first."

"Give me a few minutes to think."

"I'll help. She'd need to know how to cook."

"Not really, it would be nice, but I enjoy cooking, so it wouldn't be a deal breaker." He maneuvered through traffic. "This is a perfect conversation for pulling surveillance not fighting heavy city traffic."

"You're not going to get out of it that easy."

Logan chuckled. "I didn't expect to." He switched lanes. "Okay, let's see. I think a suitable wife would have to be smart and funny, or at least fun to be around. Somebody I could be completely comfortable with." He passed a car. "I'd have to trust her. Trust is very important. She'd need to be my best friend and supportive."

"I see you have thought about this."

"Maybe a little. Want me to go on, or do you have the general idea?"

"Go on."

"All right, emotionally stable, willing to compromise and work with me." Logan grinned. "This one is a must, accept that I'm not perfect, but loves me anyway." He pulled into the driveway. "How'd I do?"

"Think you'll find that person? She'd have to be pretty awesome."

"I think so." Logan winked at her. "We need to let the dogs out. Ready?"

As they walked to the front door, McKenzie asked, "Ready to discuss Megan or do you need more time?"

When Logan didn't answer, McKenzie went in the house. "I'll let the dogs out, and then I need to make a phone call."

"You calling Hartford and seeing where Megan partied?"

"I'll need to check that place out."

"You're not going by yourself."

"If that Donny guy's there, it won't help having you hanging around."

"I'll sit back, and let you do your thing. Only observe."

McKenzie tilted her head. "Logan..." She hesitated. "I'll make the phone call and then start dinner. We can put this on hold for tonight. We're going to have fun at the game."

"Deal, but no dinner. Ball games are one of my junk food nights."

She laughed. "How many do you have?"

"Three, professional baseball games, New Year's Eve, and the Super Bowl." He grinned. "Your specialty is pure junk food, but I'd rather waste my night at the game. How about you?"

"I agree. I didn't really want to cook anyway."

"I figured."

"I'm making my phone call." She went into her makeshift den.

When McKenzie returned to the room, Logan stood. "Well?"

"Some place she called 'The Roof.' The closest I could get was the 'Tin Roof.' You familiar with it?"

Logan shook his head. "No. When we going?"

McKenzie sighed. "I don't want you to go. I'll probably visit it Monday evening, and then go back Friday or Saturday. I can get an idea of what it's like Monday and then see who the players are on the weekend."

Logan set his jaw. "I don't want you to go alone."

"I'll take Jose with me." McKenzie paused. "It may be better if we meet there. I probably should go as a single female." She studied Logan. He's worried something will happen. Now what do I do? She moved closer to him. "Jose will have my back."

"I know. But..."

She put her hand on his arm. "I'm not Megan."

Logan turned and walked outside.

McKenzie watched. He needs time. She went to the den. "I need to check old cases and see if I can find anybody who'd want to harm me."




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou is an area name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.
Kate Hartford Megan Nelson's friend they taught middle school
together.
Donny A man Megan Nelson dated.



Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a tape recorder. This post is a little over 1500 words. I hope it's not too long. I really didn't know where to split it. Sorry.

Again, thank you for your wonderful support.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.