Commentary and Philosophy Script posted June 16, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Laws that could result in the deportation of immigrants

Illegal Immigrant Laws

by Brett Matthew West


HALLWAY: CAPITOL BUILDING: AFTERNOON

FADE IN:

MICHAEL WREN: This is your WJTA Channel 12 news reporter Michael Wren coming to you live from Capitol Hill where a heated debate erupted on the Senate floor this morning over the authority ICE agents possess when confronting illegal immigrants. Joining us is Senator Edmund Ritterhoff of Alabama. Senator Ritterhoff, can you tell us about the empowerment of ICE agents to arrest illegal aliens on administrative charges that could result in their deportation from the United States?

SENATOR RITTERHOFF: While immigration anarchists often refer to immigration laws as "civil laws," and attempt to minimize the importance of our country's immigration laws, ICE agents have substantial authority.

MICHAEL WREN: Senator Ritterhoff, can you further elaborate on your comment?

SENATOR RITTERHOFF: Although seldom discussed, certain criminal laws are part of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Serious repercussions, and lengthy prison sentences, can result in violations of these laws.

MICHAEL WREN: Senator, isn't it true that on May 13, 2019 a report was published that stated immigration is the top US Crime?

SENATOR RITTERHOFF: As recently as 2018, immigration law violations accounted for 34.4 percent of all federal prosecutions and 94.7 percent of immigration prosecutions resulted in prison sentences.

MICHEL WREN: Senator, you must be referencing the U.S. Sentencing Commission Fiscal Year 2018 Annual Report and Sourcebook of Federal Sentencing Statistics.

SENATOR RITTERHOFF: That is correct, Michael. In this report, the 9/11 Commission determined immigration fraud and visa fraud prominently figured in the ability of international terrorists to enter the United States.

MICHAEL WREN: According to Title 18 of the US Code 1546, visa fraud, when coupled with terrorism, exposes the illegal alien perpetrator to as many as 25 years in prison. And, visa fraud, combined with drug trafficking, carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.

SENATOR RITTERHOFF: I can see you're knowledgeable about this topic, Michael. In addition, Title 8 of the US Code 1324 specifically elaborates about crimes related to illegally bringing aliens into the country, or encouraging them to remain in the United States illegally, along with human trafficking and alien smuggling. All of which result in lengthy prison terms. Additionally, if these activities result in the death of an individual, conviction can result in life imprisonment.

MICHAEL WREN: Senator, another category of possible crimes that can be committed by illegal immigrants refers to their re-entry after being deported.

SENATOR RITTERHOFF: Indeed, Michael. According to Title 8 US Code 1326 aliens, who meet the definition of aggravated felons, can receive 20 years in prison upon conviction of this crime. And, it is all but impossible for a deported alien to subsequently reenter the United States illegally and not be in violation of this law.

MICHAEL WREN: But, Senator, doesn't it take a long time to investigate the crime of unlawful reentry?

SENATOR RITTERHOFF: Actually, Michael, this crime can be investigated in just a few days, which makes it cost-effective as well. I'd also like to add that illegal aliens found in possession of ammunition or a firearm in interstate or foreign commerce can receive ten years in prison under 18 US Code 922(g)(5). This is another simple crime to investigate.

MICHAEL WREN: Don't convictions for these federal crimes also result in the deportation of convicted illegal aliens once they've completed their prison sentences?

SENATOR RITTERHOFF: Yes, Michael. They do because the intent of law enforcement is to protect the lives and properties of American citizens from falling prey to foreign criminals. These prison sentences are designed to punish those who violate our laws and to deter those illegal aliens who violate our laws.

MICHAEL WREN: Senator Ritterhoff, in your opinion do these lengthy prison sentences accomplish any good where illegal aliens are concerned?

SENATOR RITTERHOFF: Michael, I believe these sentences do a lot of good. Imprisoning, and then deporting, illegal alien criminals affords a means of removing them from the streets of our country. These penalties also serve as a deterrent for illegal aliens who commit the crimes to not return to the United States.

MICHAEL WREN: Senator, wouldn't it be much easier to resolve these criminal cases if more ICE agents were available to arrest illegal immigrants who commit them?

SENATOR RITTERHOFF: It would be far more effective to increase the number of ICE agents, and that's what the debate in the Senate this morning was all about.

MICHAEL WREN: Senator, what are your thoughts where sanctuary cities are concerned?

SENATOR RITTERHOFF: Michael, by shielding and emboldening illegal aliens, sanctuary cities do nothing more than encourage them to overrun our borders and endanger the innocent lives of our citizens, not to mention many of the teenage immigrant children living in these sanctuary cities.

MICHAEL WREN: Thank you for your time, Senator. And, there you have the latest about the fisticuffs that erupted on the Senate floor this morning. This is Michael Wren, WJTA Channel 12, returning you back to our regularly scheduled programming.

FADE OUT:




A Dog called None, by Cleo85, selected to complement my script.

So, thanks Cleo85, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my script.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.