General Fiction posted June 11, 2019 Chapters:  ...32 33 -34- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
End of novelMendez brothers. Their story ends with joy.

A chapter in the book Chasing of the Wind.

Out of Sight; Out of Mind.

by Niyuta




Background
The conflicts in the human mind begin with married of issues and doubts about our purpose of being here and the way destiny lais out events for us to face. Francis mendez a yound RC priest knows his h
Human mind seems to have a built-in protection system akin to what we recognize in the other species as, 'the survival instincts'. In almost all cases, we tend to push aside all those memories of unpleasant events, persons and the communications without our knowledge. Experts in the fields of human Psychiatry, Social Behavioral Sciences etc., may explain this as a deliberate, temporary amnesia; one that is induced by the subconscious mind and obeyed by its partner--the ever efficient brain. That's exactly how it happened in the Rosie and Dr. Pascal Mendez household. Within the next 24 hours, Frank's departure from their domain had become a forgotten event.

Absences of the other recent intruder, Rosie's youngest brother-in-law Francis; a Priest without a collar; has been taken in a 'gone for good' spirit. In essence; their lives were returning to the days when they lived by themselves. Then the daily life of all members was simple, predictable and routine. The chief of staff-mom, set the rules and administered the day to day affairs while dad, the titular boss, remotely managed the enterprise with rare interference. The children; they just found the most profitable ways they could adjust to their dynamic environments at home and school. Only difference now was that, grouchy and conniving Maria, who often bullied them, was replaced by a young Carolina. She possessed more modern outlook, a congenial attitude and a friendly temperament. In fact nothing or no one present in their home to broach the subjects of uncles and grandfathers to them. In the past maternal grandma--Agnes made routine afternoon calls to Silvia to find out what was going on with Frank and if her mother-Rosie ,had succeeded in getting rid of him and now that he had departed that subject dropped out of their conversation all together. However, the meddling old woman did make few attempts to find out if she could replant old Maria amidst them but Silvia, now a teenager, had learned to hang up on her before she could get to that subject by one or the other excuses she could come up with. Soon the old woman realized that she, because of her nosy habits and controlling nature, had lost her grandchildren's affection and respect. Agnes' efforts to reconcile with her daughter also had failed because of the stressful situation caused by Frank's sickness and the decision of returning to his own dwelling in the downtown. The curiosity about the letter from Frank also followed the path of his memory as mentioned before in the oblivion. "What could possibly be in that letter? Pascue had speculated when he put the trunk away on the shelf of the walk-in closet in their bedroom.

"Perhaps it is Frank's apology for avoiding responsibilities of a father, or how he wishes his remains to be handled." With no clues to go on; Pascue did not even mention the letter to his wife. "As it is Rosie is too exhausted even to deal with that subject now." With that line of thinking he decided to postpone the reading to a later time slot on his calendar and the letter remained locked up in that Mariner's Trunk; out of sight and became a forgotten issue, as the emotional twister associated with the Oldman died with his departure.

Next day, Dr. Pascue left for New York City to present his research paper on the 'Link between the levels of poverty in Latin America and the Mental Health of the Society. A three days seminar following the presentation kept him busy so on Friday, Rosie and children joined him for a four-day bash. The family needed that break and for that weekend they made the best of their time on a short but very satisfying long weekend in NY City. No one reminded them of their relatives or the unfinished business waiting for them in that trunk in the bedroom.

Nothing can explain this sort of arrangement of events destiny throws in our lap. All was tranquil in the lives of Dr. and Mrs. Pascal Menendez until his brother arrived and then, soon after their long lost father got discovered living right in the heart of their city for a longtime. Both events had to happen within a short period. Who arranged these events which shook their love-boat and sent it in the typhoon infested south Pacific and why? Are there any rational answers to these questions? We will never know.

Eastern philosophers pack all human struggles, mishaps and rewards into a neatly package theory they call--Fruits of Your Karma; past and present ones. Don't ask questions just obey the 'Law of Karma'.

The faithful of Biblical kind believe --that's what you get for breaking the God's Command and living without the Lord or displeasing the Allah. The others with no specific faith in anything associated with God or religions take subterfuge in sarcasm; like Voltaire did in 'Candide'. He wrote:

'You are quite right,' said Pangloss. 'When man was placed in the Garden of Eden, he was put there "to dress it and keep it", to work, in fact; which proves that man was not born to an easy life.'

Well; that it may be relevant in the world of Metaphysics; in their physical world, Mendez family, made the best of the free time in New York. Kids went to Connie Island with their friend's family and Rosie had a second, hotly romantic honeymoon which included Broadway Play and a visit to a Brazilian Dance Club.

Exhausted with having great fun and frolicking, they reached home late and went to bed with renewed vigor to take on the real world of work and may be of some easy life they could afford.

That week passed without much of any unusual stresses at work as well as at home. Two weeks had passed quickly since Frank's departure and it appeared like the Rosie's ship had endured the storms and had headed for the channel taking it to the tranquil back waters. Pascue was busy with sharing the glory of his achievements with the local chapters of Brazilian Professional psychiatry. His paper was well received by the world's prestigious institution: The Association of International Psychology and was promoted by the World Health Organization at the UNO. It appeared like finally, everyone was going to settle down in their own domains peacefully but then a phone call from Rosie brought them back to where they had left the business of Frank's letter in the trunk.

"My God! My love; we have a major situation developing at home. Can you come home early today; if not, before six?"

"What seems to be the matter? Is Silvia ..."

"No; no. It's not anything to do with children." She interrupted him and continued:

"It's Francis. He came to the villa unexpectedly and Carolina did not let him in as she had not seen him before nor we mentioned him to her as a member of our household. She kept him waiting at the door and went in to call me. That leaving him waiting outside seems to have offended him. He told her he would return by five in the evening to collect his belongings and Frank's Trunk and left. By the way; did you call Frank's place anytime since he left? I couldn't do it with all that lack of privacy and heavy load of issues at work before we went on the vacation. I feel bad and terribly awful for not doing that." She sounded in distress.

"To tell you the truth; I was in worst situation, preparing for the NY and arranging with colleagues to cover me for the week. I totally forgot him I must say. As far as Francis goes; I will explain the situation and he will understand. Don't worry. May be Frank needed something from his trunk. I will be home by five and you can come whenever you can. Don't panic." He hung up and got busy with work.

Rosie felt bit assured but was not sure about the outcome of that evening's meeting with Francis. Something sinister was going to come out of it she felt in her guts but kept her mind busy wrapping up the paperwork so she could leave on time.

Dr. Pascue pulled his B&W SUV into the garage and saw Rosie's getting out of a taxi that pulled at the side walk. He got out the car and waited for her out on the driveway. She was relieved to see him and said:

"Am I glad to see you; I was afraid you won't come in time and I would have to face him alone. I must admit; we both dropped the ball by not checking on Frank's health."
"Yah; we could have handled the situation with more concern and affinity to his situation but I subconsciously felt that he was healthy and really did not wish to be part of our world. Perhaps you too felt the same way and we went about doing what we feel is appropriate for all of us; after all he had made the choice of moving back to his comfort zone."

Pascue justified his own actions and helped her to get over her sense of failure as they entered the house from kitchen door. Carolina was waiting for them.
"He is packing in the room upstairs". She informed them as soon as they came in the kitchen; as if she had anticipated a question from them about Francis' arrival.

Rosie nodded at her without speaking and they headed for their bedroom. Sound of Francis working in his room made them aware of his time of arrival and she spoke to Pascue in undertone, "looks like he just arrived before us; let us get that letter out and read it."
He nodded and as soon as they entered the bedroom, he went in the walk-in-closet and came out with the Trunk, placed it on the love seat and opened the lid. Except for a Manila envelope placed on the old cigar box, the trunk was empty. Pascue pulled two pages of a lined composition book, mainly used in the schools, unfolded and they both began reading silently. It was not addressed particularly to anyone by name but collectively -- To Whom it May Concern -sort of ambiguity.

"I, Frank Ernest Mendez, born to Sophia Mendez, on 15th day of June, 1941 in the home of my grandfather, Earnest Mendez. I am the only son of Jokim Ernest Mendez then lived in the City of Punajim, Goa-a former colony of Portugal, now part of Republic of India. My birth and baptism records are recorded in the office of the government of Goa and the basilica of St. Francis located in the same city.

My grandfather was a Doctor of Medicine. He practiced in Punjim, became wealthy and in 1930, built the house I was born in. It is known and recognized since then, as Dr. Mendez Mansion and is located at 220 River Road, Punjim, Goa, India. My father, Jokim Mendez became a 'Khot' (Landlord), when in 1945, he acquired the farmland of one Srikanth Seth by foreclosure of a loan which Srikanth failed to pay back.

I was admitted in the St. Zavier Catholic School in the city but did not finish my studies beyond 7th grade. On June 30, 1959, I married Mariam De Costa ; daughter of Dr. De Costa of Panjim, Goa, India.... "

The letter began to sound like a legal recording of events and episodes of Frank's life and Pascue began skipping the details until his eyes caught Rosie's and his name. It read as follows:
"Pascal and Rosie: I know you are wondering why I wrote all these details of my life with dates and places. I have done this according to the instructions of my attorney. As you know, I was declared by the government of India a dead man because of the petition filed by your mother to declare me as such. Because of lack of communication in ten years and unable to locate my whereabouts, the government gave her all my possessions and the ownership of properties in Goa and freedom to remarry.

Well, as you see, I am very much alive and I have to make sure my claim for being alive is validated by others. I have the external documents like my last Indian passport, birth and baptism certificates as well as photos. I needed two individuals to testify bona fide of my claim. Who could be better than my children? Francis has agreed to do so and I ask you to do the same. However, I have to make a very unpleasant and disturbing declaration to you and through you to your other siblings. Please sit down as it may come as a shock to you.
I am not the biological father of any of you who are carrying my family name. Your mother, for the reasons known to her alone, had chosen someone else to have children with. My claim to this fact is based on the circumstantial evidence supported by the dates of my visit and the durations of my stay with your mother at home. I always arrived when your mother was not in what the clinical term calls, 'coming into the estrogen state' and avoided physical contacts with her but learned after my departures in six months that she gave birth. You are aware of the genetic testing to prove these things. However, I do not wish to follow that course unless compelled. Here is what I wish:

'I would like to keep this a secret between us, but it is you and Rosie to decide about sharing it with your siblings. Since I do not have any children of my own from your mother and both young boys born of my second wife are my stepchildren, I would like to leave up to you whether to keep my family name as yours or not. As far as my property in Goa and in Brazil goes, I have decided to dispose it off in the following manner:

"The house in Goa, known as Dr. Mendez Mansion and the parcel of land acquired from Srikanth Khot, through foreclosure by my father will go to one Ms. Malti Salgoankar (nee Seth). Very soon Malti will have my family name as I intend to marry her. It is high time my only biological son legally carries his true family name. Before her and my weddings, we were lovers and that resulted in the birth of a son; my son; a true owner of my grandfather's estate.
The remaining property, located adjacent to the sea shore, will go to you and Rosie. You deserve it more than anyone else out side my family. You may decide what to do with it.
The Brazilian property will go to two young men--my stepchildren. I have made all the necessary legal arrangements for execution of my will with this arrangement. The Indian Embassy in Rio, has accepted my claims and I have the Visa to return to India to complete my transactions.

After meeting you, Rosie and children it became a very trying and difficult decision for me to part from all of you. I am eternally grateful to my daughter Rosie, you my true son -- Pascue, loving Silvia and Mark, all of you who showered the love and comforts upon me without hesitations. I wish it had lasted for remaining years of my life but then, I have to spend some time with a woman I loved and a son I never got to raise. I hope you will understand and forgive me for refusing your kind hospitality.

I am aware of the trauma you and others will be facing due to the circumstances none of us could control; however, we all are well provided for and have a comfortable life to look forward to. You all will remain in my heart as my children don't doubt that. You all are welcome to your mother's home anytime and we could remain a one family but decision is yours to make. I held no grudge or ill will towards your mother and I hope you will forgive her for her acts. I saw no need to do that as I never thought she followed that path for hurting me; she was trapped in a life situation and found a way out of it just the way I did to get out of mine."

Frank had signed the letter in a quivering hand as if it was shaking with some emotional storm passing through him. Silently, Pascue folded the letter and handed over to Rosie. On her visage, there was a shadow of profound sadness that every dedicated care giver senses when a patient they care for a while, passes away. There is a stoic professionalism they have to display at work and yet the loss is felt deeply for the person they could not save. In case of Frank, Rosie sincerely wanted to take care of him like she would have her own late father but the opportunity never materialized. For Dr. Pascue, the confessed infidelity of his mother had softened the blow of Frank's letter. There was a sense of relief on his face. He did not have to face his siblings about these sordid affairs now; he could simply leave the current arrangement going on to perpetuity. A satisfactory conclusion appeared to be in sight at last and life would become as normal as possibly could, only if Francis too gets out of their lives as easily as Frank had.

He locked the trunk, picked up and said to his wife; let's close this chapter once for all now the trunk is locked and delivered to its owner. She nodded her head and followed her husband downstairs.

Francis got up from the living room sofa as he saw them emerging from the bedroom. He looked at his watch and came forward to meet them. His own belongings were neatly packed up and kept ready near the front door to move out with Frank's trunk.
Brothers hugged each other without saying a word and then Francis turned to Rosie and said, "I regret I didn't get time to be with you and children; perhaps there will be another time and we will make up for the lost opportunities." Then he picked up the baggage, opened the door and walked out without looking back or waving good byes.

Three months passed and lives of Rosie, Pascue, Silvia and Mark became normal and the events of past one year and the intruders in their midst began to appear like they never really were there with them. Frank had done what he said he was going to do in that letter and Pascue decided to keep the secret of their birth buried in his and Rosie's heart.
"It would serve no purpose and will create unnecessary upheaval in everyone's lives," they had concluded. We all are well settled in our own parts of the world and estate in a faraway land meant nothing to Dr. Pascal and his family in Brazil. His youngest brother in India was managing it for many years and there was no point changing that. Frank made some sort of mutually benefitting arrangement with him. Frank died after few years of blissful life with the woman he loved and was buried at sea as he wanted.

Francis became the wealthiest among the Brothers Mendez due to the inheritance from his father. He left the RC Church and built his own religious order for all those who were denied acceptance anywhere else. Frank's two adopted sons; one became a Physician and the other an Attorney, they helped Francis in setting up legal right protection services, schools and health clinics for the Amazonian Tribes. All remained connected with each other without disrupting anyone's routine. The story of Mendez family turned out well as it ended to everyone's satisfaction.

One evening,standing on the beach in each other's arms, watching the sun setting in the sea; Rosie sensed the somberness of her husband's mood and asked;

"Is it still bothering you who could be your father?"

"No! I am thinking of Frank buried there in the depths of ocean and wondering what made him to accept my mother's marriage proposal when he knew she was not a virgin; the very attribute of a woman that had such an exalted status among the men of that time in the Indian society. Was it he revenging his father for mistreating him or he simply accepted the instinct of females to mate with the strongest, brightest and the most attractive male to reproduce better progenies?"

"That's such silly and strange thought in the head of a scientist studying the human mind; do you think I married you for that instinct? You men will never understand the workings of a female mind." She retorted and pinched him on his butt punishing him for ignoring her romantic mood.








This the last chapter of a novel that began with a picture of a RC priest disturbed by his homosexual urges and ends with discovery of the purpose of his life. In between there is a story of two men and a woman with their lives intertwined with the Priest's and how it all ends in everyone's satisfaction. Reader may not get the full impact of this chapter without reading at least three previous chapters.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Niyuta All rights reserved.
Niyuta has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.