General Poetry posted June 10, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
She's a mum to the whole world!

Chrysanthemum

by Y. M. Roger

Name Contest Winner 
       
      
 
C
olorful as a rainbow’s stripes

        Her fascinating petals smile –

        Radiating outward joy as

        Youthfulness her rays beguile…

        Symbol of the sun unfolding

        Always orderly, always bright –

        November birth she represents

        Thirteen years of marriage her rite…

        Her optimistic attitude

        Enhances arrangements with joy –

        Makes first dates and high school dances

        Unfold with blooms to girl from boy…

        Mum’s the word you’re sure to enjoy!!



 


Writing Prompt
Write an acrostic. Pick a word, any word, and use the letters of that word for the first letter of each line in your poem. See examples here.

Name
Contest Winner


With a history that dates back to 15th century B.C., chrysanthemum mythology is filled with a multitude of stories and symbolism. Named from the Greek prefix "chrys-" meaning golden (its original color) and "-anthemion," meaning flower, years of artful cultivation have produced a full range of colors, from white to purple to red. Daisy-like with a typically yellow center and a decorative pompon, chrysanthemums symbolize optimism and joy. They're the November birth flower, the 13th wedding anniversary flower and the official flower of the city of Chicago. In Japan, there's even a "Festival of Happiness" to celebrate this flower each year.
A symbol of the sun to them, the Japanese consider the orderly unfolding of the chrysanthemum's petals to represent perfection. Because of its wide array of sizes, colors, and shapes, the chrysanthemum is a favorite choice to accent flower arrangements as well as bouquets and corsages.
[www.teleflora.com, paraphrased]

Image of chrysanthemums from Google Images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Y. M. Roger All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Y. M. Roger has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.