Romance Fiction posted May 26, 2019 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
MacKenzie receives another surprise.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 6 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone wants to harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threats.
Ending of Previous Post:

"Mac, you're not one of my buddies. I hope we're friends. I just want to help. Will you let me?"

She nodded, and the tears fell freely.

Logan put his arms around her. I wonder when was the last time you felt comfortable enough to cry.

After she dried her tears, Logan asked, "Giving me your house key was your way of saying I'm scared, wasn't it?"

McKenzie chewed on her lower lip and nodded. "I've racked my brain all afternoon and I can't come up with anybody who would want to do this. Could I have simply been at the wrong place at the wrong time? Sort of stupid in a no stupid zone?"

"Could be. I don't know."

"But then what was that car doing at the abandoned building? Did they follow me? If they did, then they know where I live. They could've found my address in the phone book, like Simon did. Are we being watched right now? Are they just waiting for me to make a mistake?"

"Those are good questions, and I don't have the answers. My only suggestion is to be extra careful." Logan hesitated and then added, "I have your back."

She gulped. "I know."


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 6 PART 1

As the early morning sun peeked over the horizon, Logan knocked on McKenzie's door. When only Arlo acknowledged him, he used the key and entered. He knelt and petted the short dog. "Hey, buddy isn't your master up yet? Where's the big guy? Did he sleep late, too?"

McKenzie stood at the stop of the stairs, with Edger beside her. "What are you doing here so early? It's the middle of the night."

"Actually it's six fifteen, not the middle of the night. I forgot to ask what time you go to the gym and didn't want to miss it. I need a good workout. Will they let visitors come?"

"I can bring guests but my class isn't until eight o'clock. What do you plan to do until then? And don't make breakfast. I can't eat until later."

Logan laughed. "Edger told me he'd like a short run. Want to go?"

"Can you give me about thirty minutes?"

"Sure, I have something I want to try with Arlo."

*****
When McKenzie walked down the stairs, she laughed. "I can't believe Arlo allowed you to put him in that contraption."

"After I explained that he can go on runs too, he was eager." Logan petted Edger. "Part of the problem was this guy laughed. I told him if he didn't stop, I'd put him in one too."

"You're talking to my dogs."

"You do, so I thought why not. They're very good conversationalists."

"I know. They only answer what you want to hear. Ready?"

"Let's do this." As they walked out the door, Logan asked, "How'd you sleep last night?"

"Why you asking?"

"You look tired."

"Then you have your answer."

*****
After about a thirty minute run, they returned to McKenzie's townhouse. She opened the refrigerator. "I'll get some water bottles, and then we can head for the gym."

Logan let Arlo free from the backpack. "I think he had fun."

"He did." She handed him two water bottles and grabbed her workout bag. "Is that enough or do you need more?"

"I'll drink one on the way. If I need more, I'm sure they have water." He grabbed his bag.

"They do."

Logan watched McKenzie inspect her car. This really has her spooked. Why wouldn't it? It'd spook me too. As she backed the car, he asked, "We going to watch Whitmore visit a strip club tonight?"

"Nope. I'm not sure what to tell his wife. I'll have to think about that. The Cards play the Cubs. I thought I'd watch the game."

"If you want to go, I have two tickets waiting."

"Really? I'd love to." McKenzie smiled, and then hesitated. "It's not a date or anything, is it?"

"Nope, just two friends who like baseball going to a ball game."

She nodded. "Good."

I wonder what she's worried about?

*****
Inside the gym, McKenzie signed Logan in as her guest and showed him around. After he started lifting weights, she went to the area for her martial arts class.

Vince, the instructor, showed up with a cast on his leg. "Mac, I missed you Wednesday." After she explained she wasn't feeling well, he continued, "I was working on my gutter at home and fell from the ladder. Class will be cancelled for a few weeks, maybe six. You're welcome to come and work out. There are always weights and the treadmills. The kickboxing bags are available. If you have a partner, I can guide you while you spar." He glanced around the area. "I see none of the other classmates showed up."

"The bag's fine. I already went for a run this morning." She began at the bag. "I'll probably hit the weights in a few minutes."

Her instructor stood off to the side.

Logan watched for a while and then came over. "I see you're pretty good. I'll spar with you."

McKenzie stopped. "I've been doing JKD for close to ten years."

"Not a problem. I'll try to keep up." Logan stood on the mat.

"Okay." She joined him, but waited for Vince.

Vince walked up to Logan. "You sure about this? She's pretty good."

"I'll be fine."

The instructor nodded for them to continue.

McKenzie and Logan faced each other and bowed. Each watched the other, willing them to start. Vince nodded for McKenzie to begin.

She threw four jabs Logan's way, and then three kicks. Logan blocked each one. She repeated the four jabs and three kicks. Again, he blocked them. She paused and studied him.

Logan said, "I watched while you were on the bag. You always start with four jabs and then three kicks. You need to vary them."

Vince grinned. "I never noticed, but he's right."

McKenzie nodded and began again. This time two jabs, six kicks, one jab, and five kicks.

Half of them landed. Logan blocked the rest. "Good job. Keep it up." He kicked twice and threw eight jabs.

A few hit their mark, but most were blocked.

This continued for almost thirty minutes. At the end, they bowed to each other.

Vince walked up to Logan and asked, "You're good. Where'd you take lessons?"

Logan grabbed a towel from his bag and wiped his face. "The Army."

"You must be..."

"He is," interrupted McKenzie. She faced Logan. "I should've guessed, but I didn't think about it." She went to her bag.

"We showering here or at your place?" asked Logan.

"Here." McKenzie headed toward the showers and over her shoulder said, "I don't want to damage the leather seats."

"Figured as much. I'll meet you later." Logan walked toward the showers.

When McKenzie finished showering, she saw Logan looking at the Super Bee. "What you doing?"

"Thought I'd get a head start on checking the car. It was that or tap my foot." Logan grinned. "It looks clear."

McKenzie unlocked the door. "Get in."

At her townhouse, McKenzie walked up the sidewalk. "That's strange. There's a package, only I didn't order anything."

Logan grabbed her arm. "Don't touch it." He called nine-one-one and reported it. "They're sending the police."

"I doubt that's necessary."

"I don't."







Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou is an area name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.



Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a dachshund in a backpack. This post is a little over a 1000 words. Again, thank you for your wonderful support.
There are only 4 days of school left. This has not been a good year. I am ready for a break. Hopefully I can catch up on my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.