Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted May 23, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A chorus of complaint.

On Our Overloaded Raft

by LisaMay


Consequences:
these acid tears of regret 
rain down on our heads.
After the deluge
where is our ark?

Our torrent of abuse
will be punished:
a storm of protest
in frenzied gales 
of howling torment.

Gaia’s tongue-lashing
chastises her children.
Lightning bolts forewarn
of thunder in her heart,
whether we like it or not.

Raging tides of change
in a climate of unease:
clogged drains overflow,
rising, rising to the beat 
of a drubbing drum.

Wave goodbye
to so much we held dear.
Our fingers losing grip,
we cling to the wreckage
of our overloaded raft.

Too little, for too many.


 




Author's Notes:

The painting is 'The Raft of the Medusa', by the French painter and lithographer Theodore Gericault (1792-1824). It was first shown at the 1819 Paris Salon and caused a public and critical furore. The work has since become an icon of French Romanticism.

It depicts survivors of the wreck of the French naval frigate Meduse, which ran aground off the coast of today's Mauritania on 2 July 1816. By the time they were rescued from a raft thirteen days later, only 15 men were still alive; the others had been killed or thrown overboard by their comrades, died of starvation and dehydration, or thrown themselves into the sea in despair. Those who survived practised cannibalism. The event became an international scandal.

The raft carried the survivors 'to the frontiers of human experience. Crazed, parched and starved, they slaughtered mutineers, ate their dead companions and killed the weakest.' Jules Michelet (1798-1874) a French historian, was one who approved of Gericault's painting. He wrote: 'our whole society is aboard the raft of the Medusa'.

Here, I have used the painting to echo similar concepts in today's society.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.