Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted May 20, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The glacier melt is speeding up.

A Glacial Pace No Longer

by LisaMay

Environmental Damage Contest Winner 

 

Revolutions, constitutions, resolutions,
the fictions and the facts of friction
the warming earth tilts it’s axis
time marches backwards
flows at a glacial pace
heart-stoppingly
achingly
gone
*
*
*
Iced 
in beauty
frozen in mind
time is running out
receding into the past
our cake has been eaten
our glaciers soon will be gone
memory lingers; splendour now mud
 
 


Writing Prompt

Write a POEM in any style, up to 30 lines in length, about a situation of damage to our environment, anywhere in the world. Could be wildlife, landscape, population etc. Unfortunately, there is so much to choose from. Be a spokesperson for awareness.

Environmental Damage
Contest Winner

Recognized


Author's Note:

Worldwide, many glaciers are shrinking and receding. (Not all are retreating - precious few are actually expanding.) Glacier recession and thermal expansion of the ocean together account for 75% of today's observed sea level rise. Whether it's climate change or the natural cycle of the glaciers, the important thing is to get people talking about what is happening to our precious environment. And then translate talk into action where it can help.

In USA, when Glacier National Park was created in 1910, it had about 150 glaciers. Since then the number has dwindled to fewer than 30 - most of these have shrunk two-thirds in area. Based on decades-long research it is predicted that most, if not all, of the park's glaciers will disappear in the not-too-distant future.

Here in New Zealand, since the late 1880s Franz Josef Glacier has had an overall retreat of around 3 kilometres (1.86 miles). The glacier has been in a period of retreat since 2008, losing around 800 metres of length (half a mile) in the past 10 years. Similar changes are occurring to the neighbouring Fox Glacier and others throughout NZ's Southern Alps.

(Photo is of Franz Josef Glacier, NZ, taken from an article on Glaciers and glaciation â?? Tasman, Franz Josef and Fox glaciers, Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, written by Eileen McSaveney)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.