Romance Fiction posted May 7, 2019 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
McKenzie gets the test results.

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 5 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anyone wants to harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threats.
Ending of Previous Post:

Logan stood. "I'll get a bottle of water, want one?" After she nodded, he handed her one.

As they munched popcorn and watched the game, McKenzie started falling asleep.

Either I'm boring or she's tired. He released a deep breath. It can't be me, I hope. I bet even though she slept last night it wasn't quality sleep.

By the eighth inning, her head leaned against Logan's arm. He put his arm around her. I'm not trying anything. You'll be more comfortable like this. He glanced at Edger staring at him, and whispered, "I'm not a bad guy, really. I won't hurt her. I promise." Now, I'm trying to convince this monster of a dog, I'm one of the good guys.

The game ended, and Logan glanced at McKenzie. Should I wake her or carry her to bed? He swallowed. "I'm carrying you to bed." He gently lifted her and carried her upstairs. He grinned at the light blue decor. "I guess you're not as tom-boyish as you want us to believe." After he laid her on the queen-size bed, he took half of the top blanket and covered her. "Good night. I'll see you in the morning."

Logan walked downstairs. He checked the back door to ensure it was locked. At the front door, he said, "Bye, boys, you're on duty now. Take care of her. I'll see ya tomorrow." He closed the door, making sure it was locked.


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 5 PART 1

McKenzie stood at the front door as Logan drove up. When he stepped from the car, she tilted her head. "I thought you got around by taxi."

"I did, but got tired of it. I rented this for a while. I see you're ready for your run. I'll go with you." Logan held up a duffel bag. "Can I use your shower afterward?"

"I guess. You have a way of taking over, don't you?"

He opened the door and set the bag inside. "Where's Edger? Isn't he ready?"

"While I stretch, he gets his leash."

"What?" His eyes widened.

"Yep, and he holds it too. There's a leash law. He doesn't like it, so I allow him to hold it. He's on a leash."

Laughing, Logan said, "I doubt it counts. I think a human needs to be in control. He's larger than some humans but he's still a dog."

"It's worked so far. He's very obedient. If I need him closer, all I need to do is say his name and he's there." McKenzie watched Edger coming toward her, holding the leash in his mouth. She attached it to his collar. "Ready?"

"Isn't Arlo coming?"

McKenzie's eyebrows crunched together. "Not unless you plan on carrying him. His legs are only four inches long."

"Good point. I'll get a doggy backpack so he can come."

"I thought you needed to go back to work soon. If you start something like that, I'll have to keep it up. I'm not taking him. He's a doxie."

"We'll see." He petted Arlo. "I'll get right on the doggy backpack. How far we going?"

"Can you handle five miles?"

"I can, but what about you and him?" He pointed to the dog.

"Let's go." McKenzie headed down the sidewalk with the dog by her side. "You coming or lagging behind?"

Logan quickly caught up.

*****
As they stretched on the sidewalk, McKenzie took a big drink of water. "Did my run meet your expectations?"

"I didn't know what to expect, but it's a good workout. Do you work with any weights?"

"Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings I go to a class and work on JKD and weights afterward."

"JKD?"

"Yes, Jeet Kune Do."

"I know what it is. You must be a Bruce Lee fan. It's a form of martial arts."

McKenzie started toward the door. "I told you I could take care of myself." As she walked into the house, she asked, "You want the shower first or second?"

"I'll go first. While you're showering, I'll fix breakfast." He teased, "I do need to eat, and so do you. Does that sound okay?"

"Fine. You really have this thing about cooking and eating, don't you?" She opened the door and let the dogs out. "There's a donut shop right down the street."

Logan laughed. "I'm sure there is. I bet you're on a first name basis with them, aren't you?" He picked up his bag and went headed toward the stairs.

"There are towels and things in the bathroom closet."

*****
After showering, Logan walked up to McKenzie and looked over her shoulder. "Your turn. What you looking at?"

"Nothing really. Just a file I've been working on for a while. It doesn't make sense. I need to think about it a little longer." McKenzie closed it. "Later this morning, I'm going to your sister's school. I think I'll get further without you. What are you going to do? Start dinner?"

"Ha, ha, very funny." Logan glanced toward the kitchen. "I'm going to the Irish Pub. I have some questions about Tuesday night. Then, for your information, I'll start dinner." He grinned. "Can we exchange phone numbers so we can coordinate our times?"

"I guess. Would you like my house key, too?"

"It would be nice, but I think it's too soon for that."

"Whatever..."

After they exchanged phone numbers, McKenzie went to shower, and Logan started breakfast.

*****
When McKenzie entered the kitchen, Logan's eyes widened. "You look nice."

Pink tinged her cheeks. "I usually wear jeans, but I thought I'd get more information in a dress. Hope I'm right. Breakfast smells good. Can I clean up when I get back? I don't want to risk getting dirty."

"I'll clean up before I leave. The later I get there the better anyway."

As they ate, McKenzie asked, "Hypothetical question; if a wife's having an affair, why would she be concerned if her husband's having one? Wouldn't they cancel each other out?"

"Good question, but I'm not sure it works that way." Logan ate a piece of bacon. "Why? Is that the case you were checking earlier?"

"It was. I don't understand why the wife is concerned that her husband isn't faithful."

"How do you know she's playing around?"

"I caught her. When I asked her about it, she not only admitted it, she was proud of it."

"Maybe she thought her husband was playing around, and decided to start, and now is worried he really wasn't."

"Hadn't thought of that. Maybe." McKenzie put jam on her toast. "This is good. What's for dinner?"

Logan chuckled. "I haven't decided. I guess it depends how long I'm at the Pub." He set his fork down. "Today's a travel day, so we can't watch the game. Any plans for tonight?"

"I need to follow my cheating husband."

"Sounds fun. Do you mind the company? I can help break the boredom."

McKenzie grinned. "Maybe. I'll think about it." When Arlo barked and she heard knocking on the door, she stood.

Opening the door, McKenzie greeted the man and then turned. "Logan, it's for you. It's your friend from the other night." She paused before she faced the man. "How did you know where I lived?"

"Logan gave me your name, and I checked the phone book." Simon offered his hand. "You look good. How are you feeling?"

She took his hand. "I'm fine." She nodded toward Logan. "I just can't convince him. He thinks he needs to hang around all the time."

"Occupational hazard of Special Forces types. Once they rescue somebody, they think they need to make sure they remain safe." Simon grinned as he shook Logan's hand. "I have the test results."

"Was she drugged?" Logan's eyes meet his buddy's.

"She was, and it was GHB. She had way more than a normal dose in her, and it was the homemade variety. Either they made a mistake or they wanted to make sure she was out. There's no way of telling."

Logan remained silent as he ran his hand through his hair. "So she was really lucky."

"Yep. No way was she in any condition to defend herself." Simon studied her. "Mac, I'd say somebody's out to get you."

She gulped. "I don't know why. I haven't done anything to anybody. None of the cases I'm working on would be a reason for this."

"If I were you, I'd be extremely careful." Simon put his hand on her shoulder. "I'm personally glad Logan has decided you're his new pet project. I'm confident he'll keep you safe. I know first hand how persistent he can be." He faced Logan. "How about you two come to dinner Sunday evening?"

Logan eyed McKenzie. "How about it?"

She nodded. "It'll keep you from cooking."

As Simon's eyebrows rose, Logan said, "She doesn't cook."

"Good then. I'll text you my address. I need to get back to work. I wanted to check on the patient myself. She's looks like she's doing fine. See you about seven o'clock."

After shaking hands, Simon left.

McKenzie grabbed her purse. "I need to be going. I'll see you later." She paused, opened a desk drawer, and removed a spare key. "Here. You might need this." She walked out the door.

So Simon's report must've gotten to you. I wonder if you know more than you're letting on. We'll talk later.




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou is an area name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.



Recognized


Sorry for the late post. I went into the ER Sunday morning and had to have an emergency gallbladder removal. I'm at home now and doing as well as can be expected.

Thank you google images for a poster if GHB. This post is a little over 1300 words. I had already edited this many times, but any help you can offer will be appreciated. Thank you for the encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.