General Fiction posted May 5, 2019


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a short story.

a new friend

by judester


I hold my mother's hand tightly as I survey the park. Children are running around, having fun on the slide and swings. Two yellow kites sway against the blue sky. It is wonderful.

I wiggle my hand from Mom's grip when I see a girl, under the pine tree. She watches us intently, Barbie motionless on her lap.

Mom still looks worried, so I take back her hand and explain that I am fine here.
"Come back in one hour, okay?"

This is not my first trip to a park, but the first since I lost my hearing five years ago. Now I go to a special school for deaf kids. I learned the American Sign Language and next week I am getting a special dog to help me. I do remember the sounds, but just can't hear them anymore.

Today is my first big step to really adjust to this new life without sound. My teacher thought a trip to the park alone would help me, but Mom is not that sure.

I look back to the girl under the pine tree and to my pleasant surprise, she signals in ASL.
"Come play with me if you want, Barbie needs a friend and we have chocolate! " Her eyes sparkle as she wiggles beach Barbie at me.

I look up at my mom and say, quite solemnly,
"See you later, alligator!"

Pulling a sporty Barbie from my knapsack, I run to play with my new friend.



Through the eyes of a child writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short story (100-500 words). The story must include a child's perspective of an object or situation. The story may be told from the viewpoint of the child, or an adult.


Thanks to helvi2 for the artwork.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by helvi2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.