Western Fiction posted April 26, 2019 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Smythe gets ready to bring the pain

A chapter in the book Wilderness Redemption Road

Makin' Plans

by Earl Corp




Background
More frontier hijinks.
 
Nate took his pipe and tapped it on the heel of his left boot until the embers fell out.

“Ma when’s supper?”

Roseanna gave him her patented evil eye.

“Land sakes young’un you just had a big dinner and some cookies, if yore gittin’ bored go chop some wood for the stove."

“Aw Ma,  I was just askin’ a question.”

This drew another stare from Roseanna.

“You still here boy? Git!”

Nate knew better than to argue with his mother. After all he had committed the ultimate sin, interrupting story time.

“Yes’m.”

Roseanna, satisfied that law and order had been restored to the front porch, settled back in her rocker.
“Now where was I….”
*****

“Thunderation Pa! Whut do you mean you won’t stake me to another trapping trip into Ohio?” Doo asked.

“Just what I said, Doolittle, I’m not throwing good money after bad. Hell, you didn’t even show up with as much as a muskrat hide,” Zach said.

“But Pa, the Shawnees wuz after me. I had to abandon everything to get out of there with my hair.”

“So you expect me to stake you to a new rifle, traps, another horse, and other possibles for another trip that may or may not pay off?”

“Well….Yeah.”

Zach threw back his head and let loose a belly laugh so hard it brought tears to his eyes.

“Son, I didn’t get where I am by gambling,” Zach said as he wiped away his tears.

“Whut am I supposed to do if I can’t go back to Ohio?”

“You can go work the farm with your brothers, get a job at the docks, or find someone else to finance you.”

The bell tinkled as the front door opened as Roseanna McCallister entered the store with a shopping basket under arm.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Carter.”

Roseanna shyly looked and smiled at Doo.

“Howdy, Doo.”

Doo blushed and found himself tongue tied.

What’s the matter with me? Why can’t I talk to her without being embarrassed?

Zach grinned as he found himself enjoying Doo’s discomfort.

“And what can I do for you this fine day, Miss McCallister?”

“Well Mr. Carter, my mother wants to make an apple pie so I need some flour and sugar.”

Roseanna smiled sweetly at Doo.

“Do you like apple pie Doo?”

“I’m more partial to cherry.”

Roseanna pouted at that.

Zach picked this time to return to the counter with a sack of sugar and a sack of flour.

“Will there be anything else Miss McCallister?”

“No sir, my mother asked if you could add this onto our account.”

“Why certainly.”

Roseanna placed the two sacks in her shopping basket, as she turned to leave she looked back at Doo, and then Zach.

“Oh, and one more thing, Mr. Carter.”

“What’s that my dear?”

“Teach that lout of a son of yours how to talk to a lady.”

Zack got another laugh as he saw Doo’s jaw drop and stare after the girl’s back.
*****
Shawnee Town near Raccoon Creek
Dirk Fox felt a shiver go up his spine as he entered the Shawnee town. Shawnees came out to stare as he walked through the center of the village.
A cold bead of sweat wound its way down his back. Fox wasn’t particularly a brave man, but the promise of a big payday by Smythe was enticement enough to get him to do this errand.

As he made his way to the big community house, Fox hoped the chief was in a good mood.  Injuns is such notional folks, he thought.

A tall warrior stepped from the structure followed by another with streaks of gray in his hair.

Fox stopped about 10 feet from the two warriors. He raised an open palm, the universal sign for peace, towards them. The Shawnees remained still and made no move to return the sign.

Uh-oh, this don’t look good.

A taller, older version of the  first warrior stepped from the building. 

“Any of you critters speak English?”

None of the Shawnees moved or said anything.

Fox knew some Shawnee, he could probably speak as good as any three-year-old Shawnee, and he thought he’d better get some conversation going before they decided to barbecue him.

Might as well open the ball.

In Shawnee he addressed the three warriors.

“I am Fox, I have been sent here by a great man who wants to trade with the people.”

The younger Shawnee answered him.

“That is a lie; there are no great white men.”

This brought a snicker from the warrior with gray hair. The older Shawnee still hadn’t spoke.

What is funny?”

“My friend has insulted you and your race.”

“I need to speak with the chief.”

Finally the oldest warrior spoke.

I am Running Deer, what is it you want?”

“I am here for a man who wants to build a trading post on your lands. For this he will give you many presents.”

“We want nothing from white men.”

“I can deliver the white who led you on a chase awhile back.”

This caught the younger one’s attention. He reentered the conversation.

“What do you know of this?”

“I know he was chased by you for three days and got away. Even now he sits in Pittsburgh bragging how he bested the Shawnees.”

“He killed my brother.”

That is why they didn’t give up, mused Fox.

Come in and sit, we will trade.”

I guess Smythe’s plan is coming together, Fox thought.

*****
 “Why me?” asked Clancy Sinclair.

“Because I need a guide into Shawnee country,” said Godfrey Smythe.

The two occupied a table in the back of the Crowing Rooster. Smoke hung heavy in the air. The smell of unwashed bodies and stale ale assaulted his nostrils. He wasn’t sure why he agreed to meet with Smythe, but he didn’t like what he was hearing.

“Well lookee here Smith.”

It’s Smythe, with a long I sound.”

“Whutever, whut yore asking is a suicide mission.”

“I’m sorry. I thought I was talking to the bravest man on the frontier.”

“You are, Smith.”

“It’s Smythe, you barbarian."

Clancy wasn’t exactly sure what a barbarian was. But he didn’t figure it was something good. He reached across the table and grabbed a handful of Smythe’s shirt and drew his face to within inches of his own.

“I wouldn’t advise you to be callin’ me no names…. SMITH.”

At that, Clancy let go of the front of Godfrey’s shirt and pushed him backwards hard. Godfrey almost lost his balance but righted himself just before falling off of the bench.

He shall pay for that action later.

“Well if you don’t have the stones to do it do you know someone who does?”

“Not right off hand, can’t say as I do.”

“I’ve heard of a man that has been there and back, named Doo Carter.”

Clancy threw his head back and laughed.

“I don’t think he’s the man you want; besides you’re already acquainted.”

“Whatever do you mean?”

“He’s the one who almost put you under at the market place.”

“Oh him? That is the kind of courage which is needed on this trip, could you convince him to go?”

“I doubt it."

Godfrey pulled out a sack which was obviously heavy with coins the way it jingled. It made a small thud when he tossed it on the table. Clancy’s eyebrows arched and he let out a low whistle when he saw the sack.

“That’s flatterin’, Smith, but it don’t change my mind.”

“Could you bring Carter to me so I can make the offer to him personally?”

 
“You should be careful whut you wish for Smith.”

*****
Shawnee Town near Raccoon Creek
Swooping Eagle was happier than he had been in a month. The white man’s visit had lifted his spirits immensely. He knapped arrowheads out of a chunk of flint he’d found by the creek as he sat in his lodge. He heard someone approaching.

“Ha-ho, Swooping Eagle, my friend,” said Wise Owl.

“Come in, Wise Owl, my friend.”

Wise Owl entered the lodge, he took a few seconds to let his eyes adjust to the darkness  coming inside from the sunlight. He approached the fire in the middle of the lodge and took a seat opposite Swooping Eagle.

“What brings you my friend?” Swooping Eagle asked.

“I just wanted to see if you would go hunting tomorrow.”

Swooping Eagle gave Wise Owl a big smile.

“Of course I would go with you my friend.”

“Why are you of such good spirits?”

“Because the brown-haired one who killed my brother will soon face Shawnee justice .”

“What do you consider justice?” asked Wise Owl.

“The gauntlet, let the women torture him for a time, then burned at the stake.”

“Is death really justice?”

Swooping Eagle pondered on this awhile.

“What would you have me do?”

“Adopt him.”

Swooping Eagle couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“WHAT????”

“Hear me out, my friend. If you kill him after only a little torture it won’t be as satisfying as making him suffer for years as your slave.”

That makes some sense,"Swooping Eagle said.

“I will have to consider this, now…. What are we going to hunt tomorrow?”
 *****
 
“And just why would you be needing my son for this venture, Smythe?” Angus McCallister asked.

“Well sir, I need someone who can shoot and do figures.”


“For what?”

“I’m going across the Ohio and building a trading post, I’ll be needing a bookkeeper.”

“ I can’t speak for my son, but I highly doubt he’d be making the trip with you.”

Roseanna was listening from the kitchen. I can shoot and keep books as good, or better, than my idiot brother, she thought.

Roseanna stepped into the parlor.

“I can go, Pa,” she said.

Angus’s red eyebrows arched up in surprise. Smythe could barely contain his giddiness, the trollop is taking the bait.

“ Are you daft girl? He’s planning on going into Shawnee country.”

Smythe sensed he was losing control.

“I’ll personally guarantee her safety, sir, she’ll be well protected. I plan on taking a lot of men on the expedition.”

Roseanna looked at her father, pleading with her eyes. After her mother had died when Roseanna was 12, McCallister had taken over her education.
He didn’t know which fork or spoon to use, but he did know the wilderness and had made sure his daughter knew how to shoot and live off the land before he packed her off to that finishing school in Philadelphia to learn to be a lady. He’d already taught her how to be a woman.

“I’ll have to give this some thought.”

“Pleeeze, Pa.”

Smythe grinned. Phase two was in play.
*****
 
“Now this is a sight I thought I’d never see, Doo Carter milking a cow,” Clancy said as he leaned against the stall wall in Zack Carter’s barn.

 Mighty Beaver and Janie both grinned at Doo’s discomfort and embarrassment.

“What do you want Sinclair?” Doo growled.

“I heard you’d been banished to watching the south end of northbound cows, and I just had to see it for myself.”

Doo had started pouring what he had just milked from the cow into a can. Mighty Beaver saw the quiver in Doo’s usually steady hands and sensed that he wasn’t going to take much more ribbing before this resulted in fisticuffs.

“Doolittle, Clancy has a way you may be financed for another trip into Ohio.”

Finished pouring the milk, Doo picked up a pitchfork and started cleaning the cow’s stall.

“And how’s that?”

“You ain’t going to like it, Doo, but unless yore pa is going to pony up the cash this may be yore only chance to go back. Godfrey Smythe is willing to finance yore trip back to Ohio.”

Doo stopped with a full forkful of manure, which he considered launching at Clancy.

“And why would I make a deal with ferret face?”

“Look at whut yore doin’ right now, is this where you want to be when Jesus comes back?”

Janie giggled at that.

Doo focused on the girl.

“And how are yore feet healing up, Miss Janie?”

“They’re just fine Doo, how about this offer? It sounds like it will be quite the adventure we’ll be going on.”

“Whut do you mean we? You ain’t going, are you?”

“Where Clancy goes I go,” Janie said with determination.

Doo glanced at Clancy, then Mighty Beaver. Both nodded their heads in agreement with Janie.

Doo shook his head from side to side before he threw the pitchfork into the corner, then walked to the pump to wash off the grime.

“Thunderation! This jest might be my Redemption Road to the Wilderness.”


To be continued......



Recognized


Here you go, it's long but no new characters. For those just reading for the first time, there are 6 more chapters in case you're interested, feel free to go back and read'em to catch up. For those only reading for Fanstory bucks and points, I know it's long and probably not you regular genre, give it a chance. Be kind.

Those wondering about the references to Our Grandmother, the Shawnees believed in a female deity they called Our Grandmother. Anna found this out while reading the chapter for me.
Ha-ho is a traditional greeting between the Shawnees

Cast of Characters
Roseanna Carter- narrator
Doolittle Carter-Extremely blessed and lucky frontiersman.
Janie Wolfe-Heroine, wise beyond her years, intuitive, follows her instincts, knows how to swim.
Roseanna McCallister- Heroine who will figure a lot more heavily into the story. Knows how to shoot, ride, and yes swim.
Swooping Eagle= Shawnee Warrior, vengeful but listens to the voice of reason, knows how to swim.
Wise Owl- Shawnee Warrior, the voice of reason, knows how to swim.
Running Deer- Civil Chief of the Shawnee and Swooping Eagle's father' Not happy with Swooping Eagle for getting his favorite son killed. Knows how to swim.
Mighty Beaver- Delaware Warrior, funny sense of humor,knows how to swim
Clancy Sinclair-Happy -go-lucky friend of Doolittle, knows how to swim
Godfrey Smythe- Ferret faced cad, probably knows how to swim.
Zachary "Zack" Carter- The Carter family patriarch and quite possibly the toughest man on the frontier. Men fear him and women want to be with him. Knows how to swim.
Percy Smithers- Owner of the Crowing Rooster Tavern. He's crooked as a dog's leg but looks like a straight arrow compared to Godfrey Smythe. Might know how to swim.
Dirk Fox- One of Smythe's minions and a five star rascal. Knows how to speak Shawnee and swim.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Earl Corp All rights reserved.
Earl Corp has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.