General Fiction posted April 22, 2019


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An adult one

Addiction

by Heather Knight


I've been lying on my therapist's couch for almost half an hour.

The clock on the wall opposite threatens me with its insistent tick tock.

The bookshelves, loaded with high-brow tomes, seem to want to fall on top of me and annihilate me as if I was no more than a pesky mosquito.

The silence in the room is oppressive. I don't know what else to say.

'So do you think we've made any progress today?'

Dr Garcia's sweet voice cuts into my reverie.

'I'm not sure,' I say, not wanting to offend her.

The truth is I know this session has been useless. But my wife insisted I needed to come.

She threatened to leave me if I didn't do something about my addiction. If she leaves, she'll take the kids. And I wouldn't be able to live without my daughters. I love them more than l have ever loved anybody or anything.

'So do you think your wife is right when she says you are an addict?' Dr Garcia asks.

'No. I always thought addicts used drugs, or drank huge amounts of alcohol...'

'There are other types of addiction. There are sex addicts, for example.'

I feel my face going red. My palms are sweaty. Dr Garcia talking about sex is the last thing I need. Doesn't she realize how beautiful she is? She reminds me of Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct.

I make an effort to control my thoughts and speak again.

'But I don't hurt anybody. It's just a hobby.'

'Let me ask you a question. Could you go one day without it?'

'A day without FanStory? Oh God, no!'

'There. You see. You are an addict. Your wife is right.'

And with that she crosses her legs. She's wearing pink undies.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.