Romance Fiction posted April 21, 2019 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
MacKenzie explains her meeting with George Whitney

A chapter in the book St Louis

St. Louis Chapter 4 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
While wanting to place trust in Logan, McKenzie searches for his sister's murderer. McKenzie doesn't believe anybody wants to harm her, but Logan feels it's his job to protect her from the threats.
Ending of Previous Post:

"I'm ready. Want me to finish this game?" She grinned. "I'm putting the twelve ball in the corner pocket." She pointed to the corner. It went in. She continued until she put the eight ball in the called pocket. She glanced at her watch. "Boys, I need to fix my momma dinner. It's been fun."

"Can I come by after your mom's asleep?" Jose drew her into his arms.

"Sure can. I promise not to be too loud." She giggled. "We wouldn't want to wake momma."

Jose walked her outside. "I'll stay to make sure you're not followed. I'll come by your place before I go home. Good job. Be safe."

"You too." McKenzie continued to the bus stop.


TODAY'S POST:

ST. LOUIS CHAPTER 4 PART 2

When McKenzie pulled into her parking slot, she shook her head at Logan sitting on the steps and called from the car, "How long have you been waiting?"

Logan glanced at his watch. "Only an hour and a half." He stood. "Where have you been?" His eyebrows arched as she stepped from the
car.

"Just a minute." McKenzie bent over and took off her stilettos. "I hate walking in these." She carried the heels.

"Mind telling me what you've been up to?"

"Jose Lopez called and wanted me to do some undercover work with him."

"Let me guess you were the..."

"His slutty girlfriend," interrupted McKenzie.

"I'd have never guessed." Logan chuckled as he held the door for MacKenzie. "Who was the mark?"

"George Whitney." She entered and continued, "Can this interrogation wait until I take a shower? I feel slimy." She stopped to pet the two dogs. "Hi, boys. I missed you too. I promise to spend time with you once I've showered."

Logan opened the backdoor. "Come on, I know you two have to go out." His eyes met McKenzie's. "I can't wait to hear what happened."

*****
Before long, McKenzie returned to the living room. "I feel better." She adjusted the barrette holding back part of her bangs and the sides of her hair.

Again, both dogs ran to her, vying for attention.

As she petted them, she glanced at Logan. "Whitney's a dirt-bag, but I don't think he murdered your sister."

His jaw set. "What happened?"

"Jose and I played pool with him, his brother, and a cousin. He's definitely a jerk."

"So from one pool game you've declared him innocent?"

"No, two. It was best out of three. Jose and I took both games. They weren't any good." McKenzie paused. "Maybe they are good, but Whitney spent more time gawking at me and drooling than paying attention to the game."

Logan nodded. "You were trying to trip him up."

"Sort of. We wanted to see how he responded to a female. I dominated the game and came on strong. All he did was drool. I don't think he did it."

"You only saw him horny, you didn't see him angry. I bet when he's angry he's violent. He beat my sister numerous times."

"You could be right. I'm not willing to rule anything out, yet." McKenzie opened kitchen cabinets and then the refrigerator. "There's nothing around here to eat."

"I already knew that. I searched for food this morning. Don't you cook or grocery shop?"

"Not really. It's just me." Her eyes met Logan's. "I guess you're staying for dinner. Want to go out or order delivery?"

He tilted his head. "Do you know how to cook?"

"I'm good with the microwave." McKenzie smiled.

"Let's go to the grocery store, and I'll cook." He grinned. "But you'll need to clean up."

"I don't think that's fair at all."

"Got a grill?" After McKenzie pointed out back, Logan continued, "I'll make it easy, steaks, baked potatoes, and salads. Easy clean up." He put his hand on the small of her back. "Let's go." He paused. "So you have a butterfly tatt back here. Interesting."

"So you drooled too?"

"Sweetheart, don't flatter yourself, but I did notice."

As Logan opened the door, Jose walked up and teased, "Couldn't help but hear the conversation. She did look pretty hot, didn't she?" He offered his hand. "Jose Lopez."

Accepting the hand, he said, "Logan Nelson."

Jose scratched his head. "Where are Edger and Arlo? They're always close by."

"Inside. Logan has them totally confused, especially Edger."

"You must be Megan's brother. I heard you were in town." Jose glanced toward McKenzie. "I don't think those tatts are real. The last time we worked together she had roses on her back and between her breasts."

"Jose!" McKenzie's hands were on hips.

"Hey, in my defense I am a man. You were scantily dressed."

"The next time I work with you, I'll dress like a schoolmarm."

"Then we won't get very far, will we?" Jose's look went between Logan and McKenzie. "Were you two going somewhere?"

"To the grocery store. She doesn't keep food in the house, and it's close to dinner."

"Want to join us? Logan's doing steaks on the grill."

"No, I need to get home to my wife." Jose grinned. "She likes to see me once in a while." He faced McKenzie. "I wanted to make sure Mac made it home." He adjusted his ball cap. "What was your take on Whitney?"

"He's a scumbag, but I'm not sure he's a murderer."

"I agree. As hot as he was after you, I don't think he's been with a woman for months. He was hurting."

"If Megan broke up with him, wouldn't that be motive?" asked Logan.

"Could be." Jose checked his phone. "My wife has dinner ready."

"I'll go by her school tomorrow and talk with the principal. I want to see who Megan hung around with. Maybe there's a new boyfriend we don't know about, and she confided in a friend." McKenzie brushed a hair away from her mouth.

"It's summer. School's out," added Logan.

"Principals don't take the entire summer off." She readjusted her barrette. "I can't get this right," she grumbled as she removed it. "Anyway, females talk so maybe somebody can fill us in on who Megan was seeing."

"Good idea. The Whitney boys and I have a boys' night out this weekend. I'll keep you posted. Better be going." Jose waved at Logan. "Good to meet you."

*****
As McKenzie and Logan sat in her car, he asked, "You didn't drive this to the bar, did you? People would recognize this beauty anywhere."

"I parked it at the police station and took the bus. I do think things through." Before she backed from the parking slot, she fingered two empty bottles of water. "I grabbed these on the way home. I didn't drink anything at the tavern."

"Glad to hear it. I hope Lopez knows how to keep you safe. Do you work with him often?"

"Probably a few times a month. He's one of the good guys. We work well together. We're able to follow each other's lead. By the way, he's happily married." McKenzie backed up the car. "You know I don't normally dress like that, don't you?"

"I figured as much." Logan grinned. "I'm hungry, let's get to the store."

*****
Back at home, McKenzie held up the bag containing two potatoes. "I can put these in the microwave." She pointed to the container of pre-made salad. "I'll put this in two bowls."

Logan grinned. "You really don't cook, do you?" With charcoal in hand, he headed toward the back door, but stopped. "Did your mom cook?"

"She did, but I hung around with Dad." She pulled her hair back in a ponytail. "I may not cook, but I can strip an engine and put it back together in a blink of an eye."

"Good to know." He continued to the backyard. What have I gotten myself into?




Characters:

McKenzie 'Mac' Morgan a 27 year old private investigator
Major Logan Nelson 34 years old and an active duty soldier
Arlo McKenzie's black and tan dachshund
Megan Nelson Logan's younger sister - murdered
The Lou is an area name for St. Louis
Simon Knight Logan's former Army buddy and a Lab technician.
Fan name for the St. Louis Cardinals - a major league baseball team.
Yadi's Fan name for Yadier Molina - Cardinal's all-star catcher.
Edger McKenzie's black and tan rottweiler
John Benson Man who murdered McKenzie's parents
Bill Abbot A D.A> and McKenzie's God-Father; he was a high-
school friend of McKenzie's father. Joanie is his wife.
Jose Lopez Chicago Police Department undercover police
department.




Recognized


Sorry about last weeks post. I couldn't post with no Internet. A huge wind storm went through. We could've used rain, but got very little.
Thank you google a photo of a steak dinner. This post is a little under 1200 words. I hope you don't mind the length. As with any of my novels this one is taking on a life of it's own. OH MY!!! Any help you can offer will be appreciated. Thank you for the encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.