Supernatural Fiction posted April 21, 2019 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
THE IMMORTAL/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book THE IMMORTAL

The Curse

by scongrove




Background
I'm excited to share my fifth novel of the Breedline series. It's still in the working stages, so all your feedback will be greatly appreciated. Enjoy!
When Jena woke, she could not remember where she was. Then dark events of the cemetery began to re-form in her mind. What had been out there this morning? From the moment she entered the eerie graveyard, everything had seemed dreamlike. She remembered bits and pieces of muddled memories. Todd being attacked and dragged off by some kind of creature . . . Sophie screaming . . . and being chased by some kind of animal, yet the face rested on the edge of her memory, taunting her. Was it a man, or an animal? The two impossibilities mingled with reality, leaving her swirling in confusion.

Oh god . . . Todd and Sophie . . . were dead . . .

She couldn’t think straight. She couldn’t get those horrible images out of her head.

Maybe it didn’t really happen. Maybe it all had been a nightmare.

Jena wanted to believe that. Wanted to believe that with every fiber of her being, because what she remembered didn’t seem real. Nothing seemed real anymore, not the creature, not the death of her fiancé, not the decision to abandon her dear friend, not the grave, not the body of Carla Rosi, and not the Rougarou curse.

And yet, it all had been real, and now she was cursed to become the same monster that had savagely murdered the two people she’d loved in this world more than anything.

Carla’s warning echoed back to her, chilling her to the bone.

“If you give in to human blood—and I promise, you will crave it with a burning desire—you will shift into the beast.”

“No,” Jena whispered to herself. “Please God . . . help me.”

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, but she couldn’t shut out the dead girl's words.  

“You have one hundred and one days to control your hunger. If you resist the urge within that time frame, the curse will be lifted.”

With difficulty, she pushed through the pain and opened her eyes. As she focused on her surroundings, she saw a tube attached to her right arm. It was connected to a clear bag that hung from a metal pole. That’s when she realized she was in a hospital, but couldn’t remember how she’d gotten here.

And suddenly, out of nowhere, a tall shadowed figure appeared above her—the face a blurred, dark silhouette, and without features.

Jena’s eyes were huge in her face, and found she could not move. All she could do was watch in terror at a sight too immense to comprehend or explain, like something out of a dream where what you witnessed was possible only because it wasn’t real.

Oh god, she thought. This was really happening.

He was leaning over her now, the contours of his face forming into a man. A faint shadow of a beard ran along his upper lip and jawline. His shoulder length hair was thick and dark, falling in loose waves that were tucked behind his ears. 

Jena could see a pair of golden eyes gazing down at her with deep intensity. High cheek-bones accentuated the angles of his mysteriously attractive face . . . a face far too dangerous and seductive for reality. And yet this face she knew all too well, hiding itself behind her shock and confusion.

Her heart was racing and her thoughts spinning in all directions. Who was he? Was he the creature who killed Todd and Sophie? And was he here to . . . kill me? A strangled cry caught in her throat. She wanted to scream, but found she couldn’t move her lips.  

“You belong to me now.” His voice was like some faraway echo, which made it all the more frightening.

Jena managed to choke out a few words, barely above a whisper, “Who . . . are you?” 

“I’m the one who made you the way you are,” he firmly stated. His eyes narrowed slightly, yet the alluring stare never wavered, even when Jena began to tremble.

Jena’s voice rose. “What do you want?”

“I am your death, and your life, Jena. And I’m here for . . . you,” he murmured, staring at her with such emotion—such profound emotion in his hypnotic eyes—but Jena couldn’t tell if he intended to do her harm, or toy with her sanity.

His statement caught her by surprise, and she stared at him open-mouthed.

When Jena attempted to reach for the nurse call button beside her bed, he caught her with a gentle but firm grip on her arm. The feel of her skin against his fingertips was like satin. He was a creature of instinct and she called to that primal part of him in a way he couldn’t resist.

He inhaled sharply, then whispered, “Jena—”

The sound of the latch on the door turning caught his attention. With no time to spare, he pulled his hand away and transformed himself back into a shadow. Jena watched in horror as he slowly vanished before her eyes.

In sheer panic, Jena grabbed her head with both hands and screamed. Her voice echoed into the hallway, alerting the two detectives that were standing outside the doorway next to Helen.
   
“Jena?” Helen called out from the other side of the door.

As she and the detectives pushed their way in, they could see the hysteria in Jena’s eyes.

“You’re all right, Jena,” Helen said in a soothing voice. “You’re safe now. I’m Doctor Helen Carrington, and you’re in the Bates Hospital.”

Helen turned to the detectives who stood close by and said, “This is Detective Manuel Sanchez and his partner, Detective Frank Perkins.”

Finally, Jena’s face seemed to ease as she looked up at Detective Sanchez. His features reminded her of the handsome actor, Antonio Banderas.     
Manuel moved closer and peered down at her with kindness in his eyes. “Ms. McCain, I promise, we’re not going to let anything happen to you.”

“I know this is going to sound crazy,” she said, trying to clear the tears out of her eyes with her hand. “But I swear, I saw something in this room just now . . .,” she paused, building the courage to continue. “I think it’s the thing that murdered my fiancé and my friend. He was here one minute and then . . . he was gone.”
  
Manuel stared at her for a moment and asked anxiously, “Can you give us a description?” 

“It’s hard to describe. It was a shadow, and yet I’m sure it was a man too. He had golden eyes, and long, dark hair.”

Jena turned to face Detective Perkins. She was not surprised to find the bewildered expression on his face.

“Do you think I’m mad?” Jena asked him.

“Of course not,” Perkins said reassuringly. “I’m sure there is a perfect explanation for this.”

“Ms. McCain, can you tell us what you saw this morning?” Manuel chimed in. “Do you remember what attacked you and your friends at the cemetery?”

“It was a man, only he was . . . inhuman,” she said wearily. “I saw it stand on two legs. But . . . it was covered from head to toe with thick, black hair, or . . . I don’t know, maybe it was more like a dog’s fur. And it’s face—” Jena was beginning to tremble all over. “It looked like the creature in that remake horror film, “The Wolfman.” You know, the one with Anthony Hopkins and Benicio Del Toro?”

Frank cringed at the image that displayed in his head, remembering the movie Jena had just mentioned. “Well . . . all the physical evidence points to something inhuman . . . something with the strength of a grizzly bear,” he said. “We have no doubt that no man could have possibly done this.” 
 
“What about Carla Rosi?” Detective Sanchez queried. “You told my captain you went to the cemetery to try and communicate with . . .,” he paused as though he was trying to find the right word, “. . . her ghost.”     
   
Jena silently nodded. “I’ve been able to speak with the dead since I was a child. My parents knew the Rosi family when Carla went missing. After her folks passed away, I wanted to use my gift and find her body so she could finally be laid to rest.”

“My captain had the dental records checked this morning,” Manuel told her. “It turns out the body found in that grave was a positive match for Ms. Rosi.” 
                   
Instantly, Jena clamped a hand over her mouth, shocked by the detective’s words. Without a doubt, everything she’d hoped was a nightmare had truly been real.

Manuel waited and then asked, “Did you communicate with Carla?”

Jena could not look directly into Manuel’s eyes. She could not tell him the truth. Revealing it meant exposing the curse that had been dropped on her like a ticking time bomb. Through all the atrocities of the day, there was no one she could turn to, and she had to keep everything that Carla had told her to herself. Except for maybe my friend in Arkansas, she thought to herself. But getting her involved might put her life in danger.

“I’m sorry,” she finally said, shaking her head. “My memory is somehow strange and incomplete. I can’t remember everything.”

Manuel’s eyes darted about her suspiciously as though he knew she wasn’t telling the truth.

“Are you sure?” Manuel asked. “When Captain Hodge and Officer Munson pulled you from that grave, they mentioned you said you spoke with Carla’s spirit, is that not true?”

“All I can remember is her warning me.” 

Manuel cocked a brow. “Warning you about what?” 
 
“The creature,” Jena said, her lips quivering.

“What about your injury?” Manuel continued to question Jena. “You stated to Captain Hodge and Officer Munson that you were bitten by the thing that murdered your friends.” 

“Detectives, Ms. McCain should get some rest,” Helen cautioned. “When she’s up for more questions, you’ll be the first to know.”

“Of course,” Frank said, and then turned away from Helen and focused on Jena. “We appreciate all your help, Ms. McCain.”

“Yes . . . thank you, Ms. McCain,” Manuel said as he placed his card on the table next to Jena’s hospital bed. “If you remember anything, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Even the smallest thing can be helpful.”

Jena found she couldn’t stop herself from saying, “Why did it kill Todd and Sophie, and not me?”

“Maybe something distracted it,” Frank declared. “We don’t know, but you’re one lucky young lady, Ms. McCain.”

Jena slowly nodded.

Frank stepped out of the room, but Manuel paused with the door open and turned toward Jena. She seemed troubled and tense.

“I’m sorry about your friends, Ms. McCain,” he said. “I don’t think you’re aware of this, but my sister was best friends with Carla Rosi. She was murdered the same day Carla went missing. I believe the person that killed your friends is the same person that murdered my sister and Carla. You have my word,” he swallowed the lump in his throat, “we’ll do our best to bring them all justice.”

Jena’s eyes softened. “Thank you, Detective. And I’m sorry about your sister.” 
 
Manuel nodded and held the door open for Helen. 
 
“I’ll be right back, Jena,” Helen said. “I need to speak with the detectives for a few minutes. Please, try to get some rest. Oh, I almost forgot,” she tacked on, “I put your satchel in the closet. Captain Hodge brought it by this morning. His men found it in the cemetery.”

“Okay, thanks.” Jena sighed in relief, praying her cell phone was still in there. If so, hopefully all her contacts were intact. The only person left in this world she could trust was her longtime friend, Angie Hawkridge. Even though they lived miles apart, they’d always kept in contact, and occasionally visited one another. Jena had known Angie for years, and now, she needed her help more than ever. There was no way she could do this . . . curse thing . . . all alone. 
       
As Helen followed Manuel into the hallway, she said in a hushed voice, “I’ve already contacted Tim Ross. He is gathering the council for a meeting.”

“Have you heard from the coroner on the two bodies they found in the cemetery yet?” Frank asked Helen.  

Helen nodded. “Before I could make sure one of ours was in charge of the examination, some of the DNA was taken by a human lab tech. After reviewing their report, the injuries could not have been inflicted by a human. Hopefully this will not leak to the press. Somehow, Jena’s statement about the man wolf got out. We could have a widespread epidemic on our hands.”

“Shit,” Manuel cursed. “So what are we dealing with?” 
    
“I’m not exactly sure,” Helen said. “The claw and teeth marks left on the victims did not come from a wild animal, and we’re positive it’s not a Breedline. We’re going to do more extensive testing on the hair samples of the creature we found on the bodies. With luck, we’ll be able to determine the species.”

Manuel let out a long sigh. “Do you think Ms. McCain really saw something in her room?”

“Maybe,” Helen stated. “She has been through a lot. Just as a precaution, I’ll make sure we have Breedline guards posted outside her room at all hours.”

“There’s something she’s not telling us,” Manuel said. “She looks scared to death.”

Helen nodded. “I agree. I made a suggestion to Tim that after Jena is released from the hospital, she’s taken to the Covenant for a precaution.”

“I think that’s a good idea,” Manuel replied. “Just make sure you let me know before she leaves here.”

“What about Ms. Rosi’s body?” Frank cut in, changing the subject. “Do you know her cause of death?”

Helen slowly shook her head. “Since there was no tissue left on the body, it could be hard to determine, but we’re still working on it.” 

Manuel extended his hand to Helen. “Thank you, Dr. Carrington for all your help. Please, keep us informed.”

She shook his hand and said, “Of course, Detective. I’ll be in contact.”

To be continued . . .   
 
 

 
 



Story of the Month contest entry


NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline gene is passed down to offspring that are born identical twins. Although they live among humans, their species must be kept secret.
In wolf form, they have super-strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing deadly to the species.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth, are born with telepathic abilities, and have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong that if one dies, the other twin may pass on, especially if they don't have a mate.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When the male comes in contact with her, he instantly feels a simultaneous, desirable attraction and she becomes the most important thing in his life. He is there to love, protect, and cherish her until death. Once they are mated, they bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant, which is only formed with their species. The Covenant is governed and ruled by a head council. The council keeps their laws in order and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - Over centuries, the Breedline Covenant is ruled by a true queen. If there is no queen living, the Covenants are governed by an appointed head council until another one is born. A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. The queen is expected to rule over all the Breedline Covenants where she will be respected and obeyed by all Breedline. This is their absolute True Law.

THE QUEEN'S RING - This ring has been passed down to all Breedline queens for generations. When the new queen places the ring on, it instantly shifts in size to fit her finger.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If either sex disobeys the Breedline laws, they can be shunned, or no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back into human form and cast out as a rogue wolf.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline shunned by their Covenant for taking another life out of revenge or evil and forced to live as a wolf until death without the ability to change into human form again. Some rogue wolves form into packs, which can be dangerous for other Breedline species.

RED (BLOOD) MOON - When the full moon passes through the amber shadow of the earth, producing a midnight eclipse visible across North America. So begins a lunar eclipse tetrad, a series of four consecutive total eclipses occurring at approximately six-month intervals. This incredible light beams into the heart of earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the moon into a great red orb. During this time, all Breedline species that are mated have a strong desire to create an offspring. This is also a time when Breedline females are more fertile for the conception of twins.

The Fury - Three fraternal twins created by an evil German scientist named Dr. Hans Autenburg. Using his own DNA, he mixed it with three other species: A Breedline, an Adalwolf, and a powerful Wiccan. He placed three embryos inside the womb of a full-blooded succubus, named Sonya Hothburn. Taken against her will, Sonya was forced by the mad physician into surrogacy. After their birth, she was forbidden to see her children.
All three were created to destroy the Breedline species and dominate the human world. The first born was called Apollyon, meaning 'destroyer' in Greek. It was also the name of the angel-prince of the infernal regions, the minister of death and author of havoc on earth. He has the strength of ten men, and the power to dematerialize, taking others with him, from one place to another. He can transform into a creature that resembles an Adalwolf, and a vampire-like hybrid. The second born was called Callisto, meaning 'most beautiful.' She has the power of a shield, protecting herself and others from harm. The last child was named Electra, meaning 'the shining one.' She has the power to conduct electricity from her body, using it as a weapon. Inheriting their species instinct and extraordinary power, their thirst to kill became uncontrollable. As they grew up, the Fury became more and more unstable and unruly. With an insatiable hunger for human flesh and unmanageable powers, they became a hindrance to the physician. He had no other choice but to drug and imprison them for all time, each one placed inside a sarcophagus in a state of deep slumber to be forgotten forever until they were set free by their mother.

Battle Angels - Their one purpose for existence is to serve the Creator in war against demons and evil havoc on earth. Unlike any of the Creator's angels: no majestic white wings, no soft angelic voice, and no golden halo continually hovering over their head; the indigenous battle angels, on average, are ten feet tall. Although, a few towered to the height of twelve feet with a more muscular build. All are tattooed with unique warrior markings, black eagle-like wings with armor typical of ancient heroes, and they wield a type of sword associated with a long-gone empire. They are the bravest of angels, who consider only the importance of their mission and are perfectly willing to be destroyed in the service of righteousness. Each angel is gifted with special powers to be used as weapons to fight against the dark side. They are particularly fond of the human race and consider themselves humanity's special protectors.

Lailah - She is a battle angel gifted with holy fire used to trap or immobilize demons and other evil supernatural beings, rather than killing them outright. Forty-one years ago, in her human life at age seventeen, she was savagely murdered. But the crime was never solved. Her younger brother is Detective Manuel Sanchez who has spent most of his life trying to catch her killer.

Detective Manuel Sanchez - Raised by a single mother, Manuel never knew his real father. At age thirteen, his older sister Lailah, was murdered, but her killer was never apprehended. Consumed by Lailah's murder, Manuel chooses a career in police enforcement in hopes of someday finally bringing justice to his sister. Now in his fifties - living his life as a bachelor and a homicide detective - he discovers he's not entirely human, and has inherited his father's Breedline genetics.

Detective Frank Perkins - He is Manuel Sanchez's partner, and discovers the secret world of the Breedline. Born as a human, Frank pledges his loyalty to the Breedline. Fighting alongside his partner, they take an oath to help the Breedline protect the world from corruption and unknown creatures that prey on the innocent.

Captain James Hodge - He is Detective Manuel Sanchez and Detective Frank Perkins superior at the San Francisco, California Police Department.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates Hospital for both Breedlines and humans. Later, she discovers Jace and Jem carry a gene, possibly used for a cure to stop the aging process in her species. After Alexander's demon is banished, he is pardoned for all past crimes and welcomed into the Breedline Covenant. When he meets Helen, they become bonded mates.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and head council of the California Covenant. Angel, his bonded mate - who is a half-breed - has Tim's daughter they named Natalie, after her sister.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.