General Fiction posted April 22, 2019 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
veteran officer disguise as maid, teacher and waitress

A chapter in the book The thinking woman

Minute Maid Part 1

by heavenempress

Tanatswa and maid

Tanatswa threw a willful stare at the maid and greeted her in a whisper,

'Good morning, madam.'

'Hi, I am your new maid now,' she cut him off, darting his doubts away from his little mind. She clutched his little hands to the kitchen, promising him a delicious, big piece of cake. The part- time maid, Ms Martha took care of the home during weekends since then. She swiftly performed all house chores to the pleasure of her new boss, Tanatswa's mom.

Possessing a fine taste of food, Kate handy assistance won her the favour of running errands of the house which mesmerized Felly, Tanatswa's mum and she deliberated on employing her as a full time maid. She worked with a marvelous precision for the few hours of her part- time job and by the time she dismissed around 4:30 pm, supper was ready. Felly always found her dressed in a more relaxed, slim-fit outfit and she joked with her one day that she missed seeing her in her uniform.

As her boss, Felly gazed at her all the way to the gate, she cherished her descend walk and a dangling body- fitting outfit she wore. She was excellent with children and both her little twins always cried for her when she departed home.

Tanatswa and his teacher

Each term Tanatswa had the privilege to be in top five of his class and it earned him nomination in the prize -giving ceremony. Miss Lydia, his teacher appraised his work so much. Being attentive to him, she ensured that he scooped most prizes based on merits. Tanatswa's gifts extended beyond intellectual, excelling in the sporting discipline, music and art, and he travelled many areas in pursuit of medals and his school earned recognition and status.

Miss Lydia made it a point that he was cleared medically; travel and sustenance funds were disbursed well in advance. Tanatswa had mastered the game of chess beyond any doubt and no one equaled his skill at that very tender age of nine.

He had won five gold, two silver medal sat major tournaments and prize money too which was partly channeled towards his education and the rest for the development of the sporting facilities at his school. Miss Lydia only made sure that the letter that serves to inform the parents about the forthcoming sporting events reached them, inviting them whenever necessary. Tanatswa became Miss Lydia favourite child.

Tanatswa's dad

He worked till late and could hardly have a chance to spend the time with family. It was towards the end of the year and the pressure of work mounted as the books of accounts had to be completed by the very last day.

He strove to spend the Christmas with his family but on Christmas Eve he opted to pass by his long- forgotten favourite restaurant for a couple of cold beers. He reached the hideous restaurant and secured himself into a peaceful corner. A liquor corner lay hidden from street view.

An ever smiling waitress approached him and took his order, directing him to the reserved seats that where at the middle of the restaurant. Something peculiar about the lady, he thought in wonder. A familiar face indeed but could not recall from where? He resigned to his thoughts of her and spoke to himself,

''With this make- up- beauty, girls of this age look the same''.

He released the nagging thoughts as the cold beer cascaded down his throat. In thirty minutes time he rode home pleased about spending Christmas with his family.

Mary, Miss Lydia, Ms Martha, Kate

For the past seven weeks, Mary felt the wedge of a dilemma as her work appeared threatened. She had fought a case in which she won. She tirelessly worked round the clock to capture a dangerous gang and the ring leader appeared and lost in court for armed robbery. Bail denied of them and the last words of the gang leader were scary.

"Take care of your daughter." He hissed and vanished as they were led away by the outnumbering escorting armed forces.
The words blew her sanity off, when she reflected later. She wondered if the gang leader was mistaken when he mentioned her daughter instead of son. The emphasis was so real and could not be mistaken.

"How could that be?" she wondered.

She had never mentioned anything about her daughter ever since she gave birth to her. The baby girl was taken from her and reared by her brother and his wife as their own. It was a top secret in her family and knew his brother and wife were extremely happy to raise the child as their own. She needed to locate her daughter but at the same time not expose her and family to them since she was not sure if it was a mere threat or genuine mistake.

She resolved to be very smart in her moves otherwise the life of her daughter which she had vowed not to disturb or kept in secret was to be at the mercy of her imprudent move.

The issue of her child was a closed family secret and no platform in future for discussion. Mary's education and career became the highest favour she won in return. Indeed, her life stabilized and she picked up the broken pieces of her life and moved on successfully. She owed her life to her brother and could not betray him at this hour and being known as the thinking woman, she spectacularly devised a way out.

Mary stormed into her secretary's office and ordered,
"Get in touch with the Ministry of education, The Local Employment Agency and the owner of that restaurant along the Willowvale road and make sure am registered as an employee in all."

She paused and added, "This is highly classified personal case, off books". The secretary nodded in agreement.

Tanatswa and Teacher

When the children passed through the park, the beautiful flowery scenery fascinated them which they adored with innocence. Tanatswa interest drove him to a solitary exploration which instinctively led him away. He spotted a rare, beautiful flower that lay right at the middle of a thorny bush. He outstretched his hand while sprawling on the ground and he snatched the little flower. With unclouded excitement, Tanatswa forgot his eye sensitivity when the itching began.

The pain caused a vision - blur and he screamed out. A stroke of soft hands and the accompanying gentle voice of Miss Lydia voice assured him that he was in safe hands.

"Next time, please, don't create your own adventures without permission, "she said firmly.

"Sorry, madam I just got carried away," he showed remorse.

"Madam, how did you manage to locate me?" He curiously questioned her.

She laughed a bit, marveling at his wisdom to ask.
I always watch you at school taking care of the flowers behind the administration block. At one stage you watered the flowers with milk" She expressly reminded him.

"Am so sorry....." Tanatswa pleaded.

"Hey am not accusing you but am simply reminding you of my careful observation of your interest." she assured him.
Tanatswa smiled and joined the rest of the children for lunch.

Tanatswa and maid

The following weekend the maid reported for work and the day was birthday special for Felly. The small birthday party flashed with all the famous people and the events of the night were colorful. Tanatswa never departed from the sight of Ms Martha whom she naturally became fond of, from the minute of her arrival at their home. He even tried to persuade his mom to take her on a full-time basis but she only smiled and told him that she will consider it.

On this occasion, when Ms Martha escorted Felly to her bedroom for best dress choice, she revealed her five- year- hotel housekeeping experience and in many areas of housekeeping.

'Never bothered to reveal it on the interview day because I didn't want to scare you off, ' she quickly added.

'You never know, I could have begun paying you handsomely way back,' she lightly responded.

After Felly had immaculately dressed, Ms Martha brought to her a piece of paper that she claimed to have picked under the bedroom dressing table. The words printed in bold read:

'My darling, get prepared for 7:00 dinner tonight. Meet me at Beverly restaurant'.

'Thank you. I don't know how I have missed that. He usually writes notes for me every birthday alongside birthday present."

"I think this time he got a different kind of surprise for you." They both laughed.
When she was set to dismiss later in the afternoon, Felly stopped her.

'Do you mind if you stay with Tanatswa just for a few hours to come? I will pay you for the extra hours.' Ms Martha pondered, hesitant at first but finally with a yielding smile she responded,

'Sure I can do that, it's your day I cannot deny you that'.

Tanatswa's dad arrived at the restaurant fifteen minutes earlier. He never dreamt that the place would be the venue for a birthday treat with her wife. Familiarity with the place blinded his eyes of its intriguing beauty. Today the environment seemed different. When he mentioned to his boss to reserve the best place for them, the place was adjusted to fit the event.

Soft music, candle light and decorated their reserved spot which was at very middle of the large restaurant. The spot directly faced a well- built stage where at occasional intervals lovers would sing for each other. Andrew sang favourite romantic tracks for her.

I would be there for you....

Andrew's angelic voice made Felly break into tears as the words dissolved in her heart.

When a man loves a woman...

Skilled instrument players were backing him and made the place lively. The surrounding crowds joined in the emotional carnival and for the next hour, the world was revolved around them. Kate observed afar since she was not the waitress on duty. She marveled at the wonderful night she had gladly organized and all was well and according to her specifications.

The power of her office was so much that whenever and whatever she demanded was fulfilled at that particular moment. She earned a lot of respect from the community since the last assignment that saw the arrest of a notorious gang of robbers.

Deep into the night, Kate drove the two in a cab home. She focused on her driving so much that she was not noticed. The cab reached Harare drive and within a distance of five kilometers, a problem developed. She halted in surprise as she checked the engine. Moments later the problem was fixed.

"All is well now. I had a small problem to fix."

She dropped them home and went away after receiving his charge.

When Felly and Andrew entered the house, they found the maid waiting for them. She had just laid Tanatswa in his bed and prepared to go.

"Sorry we delayed a bit, the event carried us away."

"No, I expected you to delay. As long as you had time of your life out there, it's fine with me?" She asked with a concealed curiosity.

"It was the most wonderful night, isn't it Andy?" She looked at Andy romantically.

"Most beautiful one", He emphasized.

Ms Martha picked up her handbag and bid farewell to them, walked two blocks down the street where the taxi driver waited for her.

"Mission accomplished! For now my family is safe. Take me back to the hotel." Both laughed and disappeared.












Had difficulty in showing clear sub headings.
Minute maid is a drink but had a funny idea of utilizing the name into a story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. heavenempress All rights reserved.
heavenempress has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.